9 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Source Material rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Orme
msg tools
Hi everyone,

So after getting started playing Cthulhu Wars, it made me curious to find out about more of HP Lovecraft's stories. I bought an anthology, and have encountered some of the great old ones from this game. I find that, after reading the source material, it definitely makes me appreciate both the figures and their gameplay design on a different level. Maybe this has already been done, but it might be a good idea to list the GOO or monsters, along with which story they come from. That way we can do research before Onslaught 2 hits!

Cthulhu - Call of Cthulhu
Bokrug- The Doom that Came to Sarnath
Father Dagon- Dagon
Nyarlthotep- Nyarllathotep
Azathoth- Azathoth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
aorme1 wrote:
Hi everyone,

So after getting started playing Cthulhu Wars, it made me curious to find out about more of HP Lovecraft's stories. I bought an anthology, and have encountered some of the great old ones from this game. I find that, after reading the source material, it definitely makes me appreciate both the figures and their gameplay design on a different level. Maybe this has already been done, but it might be a good idea to list the GOO or monsters, along with which story they come from. That way we can do research before Onslaught 2 hits!

Cthulhu - Call of Cthulhu
Bokrug- The Doom that Came to Sarnath
Father Dagon- Dagon
Nyarlthotep- Nyarllathotep
Azathoth- Azathoth

There's actually going to be multiple source stories for some entities. For example, Yog Sothoth is mentioned heavily in The Dunwich Horror, but also in The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward (both of which are excellent reads).

Others:
Flying Polyps and Great Race of Yith - Shadow out of Time
elder things and shoggoths - At the Mountains of Madness
byakhee - The Festival
Deep Ones - shadow over innsmouth
Migo/Fungi from Yuggoth - Whisperer in Darkness
Ghouls - Pickman's Model; Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
King in Yellow - The King in Yellow (by Robert W. Chambers, not HPL)

Speaking of Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath...that one novel has:
Nightguants; Ghasts; Gugs; Nyarlathotep; Leng Spiders; Moon Beasts; Ghouls; Gnorri; Shantak[-birds]; plus a bunch of others that didn't make it into the game proper [in high school I think this was my favorite novel, though Jack Vance's Tschai novels gave it a run for its money]

The words "hunting horror" and "dark young" and dimensional shambler(?), and servitors of the outer gods are to be found somewhere, but they are among the things Sandy fleshed out himself and made into proper mythos monsters for his Call of Cthulhu game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Merlo
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think this is a good idea if you visit these forums frequently. You could find it through Wikipedia as well, but here's my 2 cents:

Dagon - Dagon + The Shadow Over Innsmouth
Nyarlathotep, Nodens, Azatoth (Also the following monsters: Gug, Zoog, Ghast, Bhole, Moonbeasts, Spiders and Men of Leng, Shantak) - Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath
Yig - The curse of Yig
Tsathogua and Shub Nigurath - Mentioned in The Mound
Shub Nigurath (Also Mi-Go)- The Whisperer in Darkness
Rhan Tegoth - The Horror in the Museum
Ghatanothoa - Out of the Aeons
The King in Yellow - The King in Yellow (More importantly The Yellow Sign)

Though rarely taken into account, Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath gives a lot of info on Mythos creatures associated with the Dreamlands, plus landmarks and influence of GOOs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
msg tools
mb
Tsathogua is a creation of Clark Ashton Smith. His first appearance is in The Tale of Satampra Zeiros, along with a Formless Spawn. My favorite story featuring him is The Seven Geases, which also features Atlach-Nacha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For an Audio Treat you could listen to "The Fungi From Yuggoth" by Fedogan & Bremmer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the artificer
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Then we've got Ithaqua, in "Ithaqua" by Derleth- based on Blackwood's "The Wendigo"

And so many others.
One cool thing about Lovecraft's circle is the intertwining mentions of Eldrich grimoires, Great Old Ones, and the sometimes silly placing of their friends in stories (where characters are given names similar to their friends and frequently meet horrible fates).

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReptileViking wrote:
Tsathogua is a creation of Clark Ashton Smith. His first appearance is in The Tale of Satampra Zeiros, along with a Formless Spawn. My favorite story featuring him is The Seven Geases, which also features Atlach-Nacha.

The Seven Geases also feature Abhoth and the Serpent Men.

Clark Ashton Smith is, to me, the most underrated mythos author. He's quite different from HPL in many ways, and mostly wrote stories set in other worlds, rather than on earth. He was more a fantasist than a horror author (though he wrote plenty of horror too, and intertwined the two genres very excellently and frequently).

HPL said Clark Ashton Smith was "unparalleled" (or unequaled, something like that) in his weird tales, and I'm not sure if HPL gave any other author higher praise than he did to Smith (perhaps to Poe or Dunsany).

If you haven't read Clark Ashton Smith, I can't recommend it too highly (though read HPL first).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
msg tools
mb
existoid wrote:

Yes! Good call on that, forgot to mention them.

I think the Serpent Men credit goes to Robert E Howards though, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReptileViking wrote:
existoid wrote:

Yes! Good call on that, forgot to mention them.

I think the Serpent Men credit goes to Robert E Howards though, right?

Robert E Howard may have wrote about them first (and certainly wrote more about them total), but Smith's Serpent Men are a little different, and it's those ones that are really the "mythos" Serpent Men, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.