Hide
19 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: My humble game room rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathieu Trepanier
msg tools
I'm fairly new to the hobby of board gaming. I've been serious about it for three years now and it's been quite an epic ride. While my wife does not share my passion, she is very suportive and recently she agreed that I transform one of the basement rooms into a game room.

First thing I did ; a game table.
Wood working is new to me and i learned alot about it during the process. I made alot of mistakes but all in all it was alot of fun to build. Personally i'm pleased with the result. my gaming experience is enhanced and my gaming group enjoys it !

6 players could play on this table but most of the time we are 3 to 4 players. Anyways.. Once my table was done, I did some work on the room itself. Repainted the walls and the ceilling. Modified the electricity so that i could install a luminaire right on top of the table. Made some shelfs to display my games.. It was very fun to do.

So this is it. My humble gaming room. Lots of work but now it's time to enjoy the games !!
I hope you guys enjoyed it feel free to comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
Great looking board game room. Amazing job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you like the track-lighting directly above the table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Trepanier
msg tools
I like it. Since it is directly pointed at the table surface,I can turn down the luminosity on the dimmer, the board game remains well lit but the rest of the room gets darker. It creates a nice mood. (I think the dark grey ceilling has a lot to do with it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful space! Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Texas A&M UniversityMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: I love TexasMicrobadge: 12th Gamer - Bryan/College Station, Texas
Looks good.

Have you seen the thread: Game Table Design Series: Completed BGG Game Tables?

You might want to submit your table photos and information to:
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

for inclusion in the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice . . . but where are the chairs? Comfy chairs are at the top of my list when it comes to hours-long game events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! When we bought our current home, I planned to turn our large walk-up attic into a game room. My plan was to put a regulation-size pool table in the middle of the room, a game table in one corner, and install a mini-refrigerator, an audio system, and possibly a small bar & wall-mounted television. 11 years later, we still have a huge walk-up attic and we play games on the kitchen table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks fantastic! No need to email me as I'm already on the case. Can you give me some details regarding the construction of your table? Maybe add a post or two in your thread here with the details of what type of play surface you built (any padding?), and any other interesting tidbits you found while creating it. I'll poach the image and the relevant construction parts and add it to my list.

Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. I like how you display a handful of your games with the box facing out so everyone can appreciate the artwork! Just got to be careful not to knock 'em over...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Trepanier
msg tools
Thank all of you for your feedbacks ! Game on!

Sredni Vashtar wrote:
Nice . . . but where are the chairs? Comfy chairs are at the top of my list when it comes to hours-long game events.
Yeah absolutely. I currently don't have a matching set of chairs. I'm on the lookout.

jdw734 wrote:
Nice. I like how you display a handful of your games with the box facing out so everyone can appreciate the artwork! Just got to be careful not to knock 'em over...
Yes ! Thank you. I hate how we miss out of the great artworks when we store our game like books. The only problem I foresee is that my collection keeps getting bigger and at some point I won't be able to display them like this. But hey, I still have 2 more walls!

Kaiyoot wrote:
That looks fantastic! No need to email me as I'm already on the case. Can you give me some details regarding the construction of your table? Maybe add a post or two in your thread here with the details of what type of play surface you built (any padding?), and any other interesting tidbits you found while creating it. I'll poach the image and the relevant construction parts and add it to my list.

Great work!
Thanks man! Sadly I dropped my old cell phone into the depths of a fishing lake last summer. All the "In progress" pictures drowned with it.. haha!
But I can try to explain how I did it. I'm not an experianced wood worker so my plan was to keep it simple yet elegant. If I went for a too complex table, my lack of skills would be very apparent.

First I got myself some good quality wood.
Make sure your boards are not torqued.
Assemble 4 boards the same way you would do for.. let's say, a sand box!

If you noticed I got some trims on the inside of the box. it gives a nice look to the table and it hides the small gap imperfections that might be visible between the box walls and the table surface.

now measure the inside of the box and cut a 5/8 mdf board to these dimensions. make sure you have 1/16 of clearance on all 4 sides to make sure it will fit nicely once you applied your fabric on the mdf board.

for the fabric i used some nice thick red fabric at a local carpet and fabric store. I glued it with spray glue I found in that same store.

it's almost done. flip your sand box upside down and push your fabric covered mdf board into the box until it touches the edge of the trims.
now you just have to squeeze the mdf surface on the trims using what ever. I screwed some 2 by 4s across under the surface so the game surface holds in place and it won't baloon down with age and gravity. same thing with he 4 legs, I screwed them onto the side boards. I patched the holes afterward.

I don't know if my explanations were clear. Sometimes I'm not sure wich words to use properly since english is my second langage.

have fun !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ennio Spione
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: I love MeeplesMicrobadge: Night OwlMicrobadge: Deck Building fanMicrobadge: Always room for 1 more game
Wow, great work there! I'd love to have a room to devote to board gaming.

I was wondering something about the luminaire. Some people in my gaming group have problems with light glares on cards and other glossy components, how does that light setup work for you? The ones right over the table seems to be pretty bright, but pointing from the top to different angles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Trepanier
msg tools
Lilithlun wrote:
Wow, great work there! I'd love to have a room to devote to board gaming.

I was wondering something about the luminaire. Some people in my gaming group have problems with light glares on cards and other glossy components, how does that light setup work for you? The ones right over the table seems to be pretty bright, but pointing from the top to different angles.
I hooked up the luminaire to a dimmer. the luminosity is at its highest for the picture's sake. during game sessions I set the luminosity around 40%. The room surroundings get darker but the table stays well lit because the light is directed directly at the table. this greatly reduces the glare effect you are talking about.

I use dark paint for the ceilling, it reflects no light, the visual ambiance is very smooth.

all in all it still depend on the game's component. a glossy card will always have some kind of light reflection depending on angles or luminosity :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you use any sort of plans? Or did you kind of wing it? My wife and I want to build a game table but haven't quite figured out where to start =P

Oh, and great work =) I'm excited to build my own so I asked the questions before complimenting you on the great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Me neither.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool stuff, thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BreakingPoint0 wrote:
Did you use any sort of plans? Or did you kind of wing it? My wife and I want to build a game table but haven't quite figured out where to start =P
I'd start with what size of table would fit in your room. Look at this for ideas:
Game Table Design Series: What Size Should My Table Be?

Once you have the size figured out, then you can work on the table details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Trepanier
msg tools
BreakingPoint0 wrote:

Oh, and great work =) I'm excited to build my own so I asked the questions before complimenting you on the great job!
thank you very much.
I did not use any plan..
I bought a mdf board and asked the guys at the hardware store to cut it to the maximum size that could fit in my car !
I then worked from there.

If you have any questions I give you explanations the best that I could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiyoot wrote:
I'd start with what size of table would fit in your room. Look at this for ideas:
Game Table Design Series: What Size Should My Table Be?

Once you have the size figured out, then you can work on the table details.
Thanks for that resource! I will be sure to take a look.

Mr Trep wrote:
thank you very much.
I did not use any plan..
I bought a mdf board and asked the guys at the hardware store to cut it to the maximum size that could fit in my car !
I then worked from there.

If you have any questions I give you explanations the best that I could.
Wow! Great job on the board, especially since it sounds like you just kind of winged it =) Have you have a hidden talent you didn't know about

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
Microbadge: Caution: May contain wargame like substance
All around Impressive !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls