Popular Tags: [View All]
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Just had a recent customer service experience I wanted to share.

I got my copy of Battlelore for Xmas and opened the box. Exstatic! However, one gripe. My board was horribly warped and the laminate that they put over the board (i.e. the graphics) was wrinkled. It was playable but considering the price I was kinda bummed.

SO!

I wrote DOW, they sent out a new board no questions asked and no cost to me.

Now the not so great part:

I got my new board yesterday and it was in a bubble envelope. The board is flat (yeah!!!!) but one of the corners (when the board is folded up) seems kinda dinged up. Almost looks like someone dropped it on it's corner and it's smushed (only word I can think of to describe it). Again, I can play with it but jeeps, I feel like I have really bad luck!

Is it worth writing to DOW about this or should I just be happy that I have two boards now that aren't the best condition but obviously usable. This damage could have happened in transit and the postal company won't take responsibilty for this.

FOLLOW UP:

I wrote DOW and they told me that they regretted the damage to the board and if I found it unaceptable to simply request a new one. It is kinda bubbled in the middle of one section of the board. It stares back at me like a sore thumb when I play the game.

In a not so related note. Huge surprise! when I got to my FLGS after I wrote this email. I walked in the store and the owner put a HILL GIANT and a EARTH ELEMENTAL in my hands. I was not expecting these at all but he said he had a very hard time getting them and wasn't expecting them when the shipment came in. Woohoo! With the price of them on Ebay I was certainly happy to pay nothing for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Warped & wrinkled: I'd call and complain. They'll really be irritating when you play.

Smushed corner on a replacement: I'd keep it. Things like this happen just from enough plays on a game, so if you like it, it'll end up looking that way in the end no matter what. Plus, this won't affect game play even a tiny bit, since it's way in the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the corner . . . depending on the degree . . .

I would call again especially if the corner that was smashed ended up affecting anywhere but the actual outer corner. When you fold your board out, I bet that smushed part is in the middle somewhere, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, it's frustrating in addition to your original problem, but had you received the original board in the condition of the replacement would you have contacted them for a replacement? Probably not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim W
United States
wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if the 2nd board is very usuable, you may still want to send DOW an email to tell them how the 2nd board arrived. DOW may find that information useful and want to change how they ship items in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim W
United States
wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow! trippy...all of David's repliers are from the Pacific Northwest. Hello neighbors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:
Depending on the corner . . . depending on the degree . . .

I would call again especially if the corner that was smashed ended up affecting anywhere but the actual outer corner. When you fold your board out, I bet that smushed part is in the middle somewhere, correct?

Yup, kinda smushed in the middle. I know I'm a little OCD but it would have made my day awfully rosy if it had come as expected. Oh well. I know the bonus in all of this is that I now I have two boards for epic battles so I sort of feel a little guilty about worrying about this at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
Yes, it's frustrating in addition to your original problem, but had you received the original board in the condition of the replacement would you have contacted them for a replacement? Probably not.

Probably not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jdw1710 wrote:
Even if the 2nd board is very usuable, you may still want to send DOW an email to tell them how the 2nd board arrived. DOW may find that information useful and want to change how they ship items in the future.

Yeah, I will. Bit of a shame cause I know the intention was there to supply what they feel should have come with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a picture of the 2nd board and send it to DoW customer service.

I had one figure broken and several missing from my set and their customer service sent me replacement figures within a week of the initial e-mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always ask for strong packaging.

I had the same problem in the past with games arriving here badly damaged, but when i started asking for very good packaging and explaining that the way the Post Office handled the packages was laughable, i had no more problems with damaged games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.