Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a dining table that I'd love to turn into a game table. The only problem is that the tabletop seems like it's glued to the frame. I removed all of the screws connecting them and tried prying, but it didn't budge an inch.

Anyone have any tips on how to remove the top?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse West
United States
Rancho Santa Margarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wait... I lost ?
mbmbmbmbmb
That's impossible to answer.

We have no idea how your table is constructed. Why don't you take some focused, well lit pictures of the table from several angles ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most well assembled Wood tables are Screwed and Glued. You may need to think about smacking it with a mallet to try and break the glue bond a little, but then you risk breaking things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use a fine flush-cut saw like this or this and cut between the underside of the top and the top of the skirt. Fortunately, if you're building it into a game table you may not want the current skirt and the underside of the table isn't meant to be seen anyway; so if you damage anything no one should know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's screwed and glued you may have a very tough time removing the top without breaking it. You can try using a mallet on the underside of the table or maybe a pry bar to gently break the glue seal...but if it's like any wood projects I've glued together the wood breaks before the glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried using a number of googled ideas to break the wood glue bond. I tried drilling holes and soaking everything in vinegar for an hour. I also tried using a heat gun to melt the glue, but the bonds are far too strong.

I decided to ultimately abandon this project for now. I may end up trying to find a thrift store table later on. I've read that cheaper tables tend not to be glued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
I tried using a number of googled ideas to break the wood glue bond. I tried drilling holes and soaking everything in vinegar for an hour. I also tried using a heat gun to melt the glue, but the bonds are far too strong.

I decided to ultimately abandon this project for now. I may end up trying to find a thrift store table later on. I've read that cheaper tables tend not to be glued.
Wood glue, once cured, is stronger than the wood surrounding it. You can't break the bond except by cutting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls