Control Denied
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Something like Kingdom Death Monster... but the King of... Kingdom Death Monster.

Or maybe Ticket to... Chaos in the Old World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
Microbadge: ShamanismMicrobadge: I drop the F-bombMicrobadge: Mark of the DamnedMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Neon Genesis Evangelion fan
denyeverything wrote:
Something like Kingdom Death Monster... but the King of... Kingdom Death Monster.

Or maybe Ticket to... Chaos in the Old World.
You mean something like KD:M… a game that has no direct comparison?

Hmmm, good luck in your search! wow

Anything with an Elder God is about as close as you're going to get…

Unless there is some smash cult offering out there that I've missed…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar issue... (just look at my avatar)

Check here for a geeklist about it.

I am fresh of Fury of Dracula 3rd ed. buy and I must say that, albeit very different in purposes, it has a similar degree of "gothic darkness" of Bloodborne. It's definitely a light-ish game for my taste, mechanical wise, but it's hugely full of theme thanks to the usual FFG bits:
- progressive 3-parts despair tokens showing darkness increasing;
- gothic, serious and excellent artworks;
- hunters are "safe" to travel and supply during day, but must blindly draw at night (possibly resulting in Drac's favour);
- Drac's powers make for an interesting "final boss" to defeat;
- combat is card based (no dice), requires some skills and guessing while still being fluid, fast and "visual" (dodges, fangs, rifles...);
- Drac can transform hideouts in lairs, full of nasty (hidden!) encounters, so each time the hunters move they feel the tension of exploring each new spot: are they closer to their (not so harmless at all) prey, or could it be a deadly trap - or a deceptive bluff?

So far we had a couple of plays and I'm very positive about it. Great fun. (Also, for once, a FFG game that doesn't require expansions and it's fully complete out of the box - hoorray!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Control Denied
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mythologem wrote:
I had a similar issue... (just look at my avatar)

Check here for a geeklist about it.

I am fresh of Fury of Dracula 3rd ed. buy and I must say that, albeit very different in purposes, it has a similar degree of "gothic darkness" of Bloodborne. It's definitely a light-ish game for my taste, mechanical wise, but it's hugely full of theme thanks to the usual FFG bits:
- progressive 3-parts despair tokens showing darkness increasing;
- gothic, serious and excellent artworks;
- hunters are "safe" to travel and supply during day, but must blindly draw at night (possibly resulting in Drac's favour);
- Drac's powers make for an interesting "final boss" to defeat;
- combat is card based (no dice), requires some skills and guessing while still being fluid, fast and "visual" (dodges, fangs, rifles...);
- Drac can transform hideouts in lairs, full of nasty (hidden!) encounters, so each time the hunters move they feel the tension of exploring each new spot: are they closer to their (not so harmless at all) prey, or could it be a deadly trap - or a deceptive bluff?

So far we had a couple of plays and I'm very positive about it. Great fun. (Also, for once, a FFG game that doesn't require expansions and it's fully complete out of the box - hoorray!)
It's probably only compete out of the box because it's not originally a FFG design, lol.

Fury is a good choice. devil I've actually been thinking about picking it up. Played it once before, and I enjoyed it. 2nd edition combat was a little convoluted for my taste, but I hear 3rd is better.

I'm looking for it to fill the "one vs. all" hole in my gaming collection, rather than this niche, which is looking for something a little closer to the gateway-ish side of things.

The geeklist is quite helpful though. Thanks!

Claustrophobia is a game that I keep hearing great things about, but I've never seriously considered picking up.

I have my eye on Apocrypha as well, but I'm only lukewarm on there system (own the Pathfinder ACG, it's okay)

D&D Ravenloft is another game I need to look into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started my foray into board gaming by searching for something like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls.

Sadly I haven't had that void filled yet, but found a lot of great games along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Darkest Night?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky