Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: NOOOOOOO! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want the world; I just want your half.
Avatar
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Depeche Mode fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: The Smiths fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fan
Ahhhhh!!!

Had it in my head that I needed to get back from work in time to back by 7:59....

But I'm in PST time zone and totally overlooked the CMT.

Excuse me while I go look for the nearest bridge.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the number of copies that are getting printed, I think you will be fine.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wilson
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
Sorry.

I think you can still pre-order here (https://shop-staging.trycelery.com/page/scythe). The extra kickstarter goodies are available too, but you'll have to pay more.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicky Fletcher
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well if you had to pick a kickstarter to make that mistake on, then this is probably the best one cause at least you can order everything from the company.

But I do feel your pain, sadly done this more then once.cry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Joseph (Jam) Ibanez III
Philippines
Taguig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Has happened to me a couple of times already so I feel your pain, but as mentioned by the last poster, this was probably the best kickstarter project to make a mistake on. I'm pretty sure you can get in touch with Stonemaier Games (Jamie) and they'll help you figure things out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Black Hawk
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And then there's always folks like us... we're in for the Art level @ $119 and 2 of the $99 edition... we will only pop the shrink on one.... we will aim to sell the others in a few years.
JAZ
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipped it. No regrets.

You'll get everything at retail if you really want it. It'll be a little more pricey but if you were willing to plunk down some cash now, save some of it for the retail release and you'll be fine.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Canadian
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries, there are some stores (even online) that backed as KS customers and have the KS version. You will be able to get it from them, subscribe to this forum, and you will find out when and where to get them
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to be an ass and ask why do people wait up until the last moment to back something they are sure they want;
44 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boofus wrote:
I have to be an ass and ask why do people wait up until the last moment to back something they are sure they want;
And pledging early increases the number of unlocked stretchgoals. Unless you're short in cash at the beginning of the campaign... Or you're unsure. Otherwize I don't see any obvious reason not to pledge early on.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
poifpoif wrote:
Boofus wrote:
I have to be an ass and ask why do people wait up until the last moment to back something they are sure they want;
And pledging early increases the number of unlocked stretchgoals. Unless you're short in cash at the beginning of the campaign... Or you're unsure. Otherwize I don't see any obvious reason not to pledge early on.
Well at the start of this campaign that wasn't the case - there was only going to be one stretch goal a day, independent of how much money was raised that day.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You missed it by 24 days...whistle
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Biggie wrote:
Ahhhhh!!!

Had it in my head that I needed to get back from work in time to back by 7:59....

But I'm in PST time zone and totally overlooked the CMT.

Excuse me while I go look for the nearest bridge.
I missed it as well. I didn't fret too much because of the "no KS exclusives" mantra, but I see now that I'll end up having to pay way more if I want the Collector's Edition. Fuck me.

And I did this last week with 7th Continent (but immediately corrected that mistake on a late pledge site). Damn! Had just convinced myself 2 days ago that I would commit to this, and completely passed out when I got home from work last night.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bryantw wrote:
Sorry.

I think you can still pre-order here (https://shop-staging.trycelery.com/page/scythe). The extra kickstarter goodies are available too, but you'll have to pay more.
Beyond that maybe someone would be willing to just let him take their copy.

I'm a backer but don't know what I should had done. On the other hand it has the money-back guarantee.
Frohike wrote:
Skipped it. No regrets.

You'll get everything at retail if you really want it. It'll be a little more pricey but if you were willing to plunk down some cash now, save some of it for the retail release and you'll be fine.
Yeah. Retail copy was $59 + $9 for shipping where it seem like it will cost $80 from their web-site + shipping later. But I guess $80 is MSRP and that some online sellers may sell for $50-60.

Nothing was Kickstarter exclusive but the add-ons cost a little more to get in other ways.

Come to think about it backing it included a promo pack which was said to cost $15 on their website later so I guess even if it would be say $55 on coolstuffinc or something with the promos you're up to $70 + shipping vs $68 backed.

Anyway likely an ok situation regardless. Thankfully Jamey try to keep everyone happy both backers and retail buyers and no-one really have to feel unhappy with the situation they are in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:
I missed it as well. I didn't fret too much because of the "no KS exclusives" mantra, but I see now that I'll end up having to pay way more if I want the Collector's Edition. Fuck me.

And I did this last week with 7th Continent (but immediately corrected that mistake on a late pledge site). Damn! Had just convinced myself 2 days ago that I would commit to this, and completely passed out when I got home from work last night.
So the pre-orders are just retail + add-ons no "bigger" packages? Guess there's some reason for that.

Collectors edition is $146 now rather than $99 it seems.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Inustar wrote:
Well if you had to pick a kickstarter to make that mistake on, then this is probably the best one cause at least you can order everything from the company.

But I do feel your pain, sadly done this more then once.cry
I don't know how other KS campaigns treat late backers, but Scythe is much worse than The 7th Continent in that regard. With T7C, late backers get the same content at the same price.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seamo66 wrote:
Inustar wrote:
Well if you had to pick a kickstarter to make that mistake on, then this is probably the best one cause at least you can order everything from the company.

But I do feel your pain, sadly done this more then once.cry
I don't know how other KS campaigns treat late backers, but Scythe is much worse than The 7th Continent in that regard. With T7C, late backers get the same content at the same price.
In case you're interested Jamey talks a bit about this topic in this blogpost.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Seamo66 wrote:
Inustar wrote:
Well if you had to pick a kickstarter to make that mistake on, then this is probably the best one cause at least you can order everything from the company.

But I do feel your pain, sadly done this more then once.cry
I don't know how other KS campaigns treat late backers, but Scythe is much worse than The 7th Continent in that regard. With T7C, late backers get the same content at the same price.
In case you're interested Jamey talks a bit about this topic in this blogpost.
That, and that fact that he has been upfront about it the entire time.

This KS campaign hasn't been a big secret, in fact, there are a lot of people that said the game was over-hyped because it was talked about so much. So if people don't back it in the 24 days it was running and have to pay more, it's not Scythe that's treating late backers bad.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aron craig
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at what's happening with his last project, Between Two Cities, I think it's a pretty safe bet that Miniature Market and Cool Stuff Inc will probably order at least a few copies of the nicer editions. So if you stay on top of things you should be able to get the edition you want around the time they ship for not much more than you would have paid now. Maybe even a touch cheaper looking at MMs prices, assuming you can whip a free-shipping order together. But you'll have to be more on top of your game than you were with the kick because they probably won't last long.

Now, if you only wanted a standard retail copy.. you'll be fine.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandt Boulden
United States
Bethel
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I'm right because I'm RIGHT!
badge
Christian Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a preorder Art Connoisseur edition with all KS bonuses for sale. $250
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boofus wrote:
I have to be an ass and ask why do people wait up until the last moment to back something they are sure they want;
It happens on every high-profile Kickstarter campaign. You can practically set your watch by the folks who'll post within a day of the campaign ending about how they *meant* to pledge but missed the deadline.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Schaffer
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are people that will wait that is just human nature. I happen to be one that does that. There are other considerations as to why people wait as well, others should not judge them for it.

Rules are rules and myself and some others have missed out, weather we agree with it or not. As a business owner myself, I have made contentions for my "late" clients to be treated the same as my other clients. Sure they pay more but they do not miss out. I agree with higher prices for those that are late, I don't agree with not being able to get the same items. At least your in business to make money.

As for myself, I collect games... For me the numbered collectors edition is important. I personally will not be ordering a copy via the web site because they will not be numbered. I will wait until they release and offer a good sum of money for a numbered one.

On that note... After I get back from BGG Con in a few weeks if anyone wants to sell their "collectors" pledge and make some extra money for the holidays let me know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeroth
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still order the Premium and Collector editions here (prices are in Canadian dollars): http://store.401games.ca/catalog/154608C/Scythe/
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sucks for the OP, but the lesson here is that if there's a KS that you really like, just back it. If you wait, you might forget & miss out. Also, adding your pledge helps the snowball effect & possibly get others to join in seeing the success.

Regarding how this one was run; I got in about halfway through so missed the kerfuffle over the initial SG concept, but I wouldn't really have cared if I were an hour 1 backer--and in the end it made no difference as the campaign blew past the last planned one with days to spare. The pricing structure and time cutoff has been pretty clear--and the reasoning behind it has been communicated well on top of it. No surprises there for anyone who reads the page.

I may sound too much like a cheerleader, but honestly in the time I've been involved with this KS it's been an example of how one should be run. I anticipate the next part--waiting for the final development, manufacture, and delivery--will be no different.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, as for waiting until the last minute - if you're into video games Humble bundle launched a monthly bundle subscription service - the first one gives Legend of Grimrock 2 as a freebie on top of the bundle if one subscribe now (I don't think they will do that later, but then again who knows?), the subscription is $12 / month and give you games to keep. We don't know which games for sure. Last chance to subscribe for this month´s games is in three hours =P https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly

Totally off-topic but yeah, if you often miss out! ;D

If nothing else: Legend of Grimrock 2 totally is a dungeon crawler - but this time outside - mostly - I think .. still counts as a dungeon?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |