47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Stylized painting so I can actually get these things done rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Buckley
msg tools
Though I've been a hobbyist for over a decade, I'm also the father of a 2 year old now, and free time is at a premium these days.

I chose to magnetize the arms of my figures, so that we could swap out what I felt the only truly important exchangeable bit: the weapons (in the heat of game play, if a survivor only has the lion tunic, it doesn't matter to me if his mini has the arms and legs too. But at a glance, it's nice to see your little guy holding the actual weapons he's fighting with).

However it did present a minor issue in terms of how to paint the pieces so that they wouldn't look completely out of place when moved around to different torsos.

Fortunately, I felt the entire atmosphere of Kingdom Death provided an opportunity to solve both my problems. Going with a desaturated, monochromatic style not only ensures that the pieces can swap almost seamlessly, but is incredibly easy to do quickly. I did these four guys in 2 short sessions, and feel like I'd have no trouble building/updating my group's miniatures between play sessions going forward.

I also feel like it works with the game's aesthetic in a very stylized manner. They look great on the game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really good!

Makes me wanna do mine in dark brown / sepia color tone instead of fully colored!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is the main color really greenish/yellowish or is it the photo?
Whatever the answer, I strongly believe that a monochromatic style is the best approach.
Easy for beginners, fast to implement and it seems to suit the board very well.
Congrats!

PS: Would you make the monsters the same color or would you apply a different monochromatic color to them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
Microbadge: ShamanismMicrobadge: I drop the F-bombMicrobadge: Mark of the DamnedMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Neon Genesis Evangelion fan
Mind sharing the techniques?

I really enjoy this style, as well as the B&W with a color highlight here or there I've seen on BGG images...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monochromatic is definitely the way to go. Great job. Are they really that green?

Which magnets did you use and how many do you need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pascaud
France
Saint Aunes
Herault
flag msg tools
My friends call me "Sly" during games. I can't propose alliances anymore.
badge
My wife and I are offering painting commission services for your miniatures !
Microbadge: My cat destroys games in progressMicrobadge: Kluntje King - Best Pimped Boardgame of the Month Hall of Fame memberMicrobadge: Best Pimped Boardgame of the Month winnerMicrobadge: Rules Addict - I read rules before I go to bedMicrobadge: Miniature Painter
It looks really great, B&W (and its derivates) is the way to go =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
Wow that's pretty amazing. First one in this style I have seen. They just look good. I also would like to see a how to, even though that sounds like more work when you did this to save time. How did magnetizing the arms go for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look good indeed.
If you don't apply any varnish to them, you can later paint a few color here and there should you desire so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
I have to thank Kingdom Death: Monster for finally knowing the exact number of penises I can tolerate in a miniature (surprisingly, that number is not zero)
badge
We used to call the Prodigal Sorcerer "the antiaesthetic one" when we played MtG in 1995. I still think this is the better definition.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I started yesterday doing that very same thing to the phoenix. Since it was a hell to find a good colour scheme that involved red and maintaining some sort of dramatic effect on that board, I toned everything down to brown and sepia... Still less than halfway through, but I can see that your results are very good! GG mate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
very cool.

so its just a white primer and a green wash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Microbadge: 1066, Tears to Many Mothers fanMicrobadge: 1565, St. Elmo's Pay fanMicrobadge: Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game fanMicrobadge: 1565, St. Elmo's Pay fanMicrobadge: Lifeform fan
Incredible work Timothy, this is exactly how I'd want mine doing to match the statue motif throughout the game. But since I lack even the remotest painting skill mine shall retain their plastic statue look instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it. They make me think of some long forgotten statues from Atlantis.

Very evocative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Battarra
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
The idea of painting the models vexes me a bit…

I like painting, I guess I'm between decent and good.
A monochrome scheme was one of my initial idea, but I fear i will give into temptation to add some muted highlights to the details. The main problem is not to turn the pieces too much pastel-like and to find a single skin tone to reproduce evenly, shall I chose to magnetize anything.

The monsters are less of a problem, I actually look forward to paint some of them like the antelope.

Timothy, I'm very interested in magnetizing (after seeing some very small and tin rare earth magnets). Adding magnetized arms to a full head/torso/legs set seem the best idea…
Does it also work on the unarmored sets? It seems to me that with so much skin it would n be better to build them in the regular, fixed way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: 1066, Tears to Many Mothers fanMicrobadge: 1565, St. Elmo's Pay fanMicrobadge: Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game fanMicrobadge: 1565, St. Elmo's Pay fanMicrobadge: Lifeform fan
Exo Desta wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
Incredible work Timothy, this is exactly how I'd want mine doing to match the statue motif throughout the game. But since I lack even the remotest painting skill mine shall retain their plastic statue look instead.
I don't think this style is difficult to produce (at all).

There isn't much intense brushwork anyway. Great thing about this style is that the base coat and wash are doing most of the work. And I think it fits the game perfectly.
That's good to know, cheers Brian. If I ever do attempt something like this at least I have plenty of other minis games I can ruin before touching KD:M! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Fort Hood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to comment, that definitely looks like the best route to go.

I like it because it retains a "boardgame style" meaning you have single colors for each faction.

I will go with this style myself. I am already thinking of the White Lion and other Monsters.

Bottom line: very good job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivy Harriet
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
That looks totally incredible to me! Is it all just shades? I'd really appreciate hints on how to achieve a similar effect, when I use shades it doesn't really look anything like that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Australia
flag msg tools
Good work Tim.

In a similar boat, and was thinking about the best approach. Was initially thinking to do the whole zenithal shading approach with an airbrush - but with magnetized miniatures where the location of what's up can vary depending on how you've positioned the weapons and arms, it's not really viable.

But grey only undercoat is a bit too monotone for me now that I see it - so thanks for doing it so I could see it ahead of time! Otherwise looks great.

I think I'll go with a three tone approach, light grey skin, medium grey general, dark grey detail elements.

Basically get a bit more contrast into the elements so that the silhouette can be broken up a bit. Maybe also paint some minor coloured splashes (like blood).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Buckley
msg tools
Hey everyone, thanks for the comments

There is a slight green tinge that I achieved as a result of the colors I used, but it's not quite as strong as what the photo is picking up (I snapped with my mobile).

I painted them using a six-step process. I'll try and paint another this weekend and take pictures along the way, but it's basically as follows:

Prime in white.

1 coat of a neutral tone. In my case, I chose Earth of the Minitaire line.

I then slowly airbrush the miniature from below (feet side first) with a wash (I chose Citadel Asurmen Blue). I use a wash because it's translucent, and allows you to build up the color more gradually.

Then when that's dry, from the top down I blast it with some watered down Menoth White Highlight from the P3 range. This is an very light off-white color. I highly recommend against using straight up white on miniatures, especially these ones. It never looks natural.

With some of that watered down Menoth White Highlight still in the airbrush pot, I add a tiny drop of P3 Yellow Ink. This stuff is incredibly bright and powerful, so you only want a little bit. I then hold the mini pretty far away and use a couple of very conservative blasts to give the topmost areas a very slight yellowish hue.

The combination of the blue wash and the yellowish tones are what gives the mini that subtle green, oxidized bronze tinge. If you didn't want that, I'd recommend you do your shading with Citadel Nuln Oil wash instead, which is a shade of black.

The airbrushing does a lot of the heavy lifting, but I still go at it with a brush for some detail work. I use Citadel Nuln Oil to pick out and darken some of the shadows and creases and really make the details in the model pop. Again, because it's a wash, you can build it up over a few layers to get it where you want it.

And finally, I go back in with very light highlights of Menoth White Highlight to pick out edges and raised details, again with the focus being on adding contrast to the model detail.

Again, I'll be happy to take some pictures of each step if it would assist people in approaching their own miniatures. I use an airbrush, but you could achieve a similar style simply using black and white primer spray cans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magallian
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing paintjob Timothy! Thanks for posting! I really look forward to your paintjobs on the monsters. Have you started painting these yet? If you have even more pictures of your work in progress you would do me (and presumably others) a great favor posting these as well.

I've coated a lot of the assembled miniatures this week and I am about to start painting details this upcoming weekend. I am still on the fence to take the approach as mentioned within the thread http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1462725/complete-first-story... or to take the approach you have taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric LAURENT
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This monochromatic style is amazing.

Like you I was wondering how I could magnetized arms and paint them...I decided to assemble and paint the miniatures the "normal way"...but when I see the result on yours I regret. Your idea is brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alaric Desu
msg tools
Awesome work, Timothy! You've inspired me to do a monochrome scheme too!

Just a quick question though, when you say "airbrush the miniature from below (feet side first)", do you mean you start from the bottom and work your way up?

Or do you mean you hold the model upside down and airbrush at an angle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Pooler
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great Tim! Please post some basic steps and colors you used when you have a chance!

The KD comics you did were great BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric LAURENT
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bastimret wrote:
The KD comics you did were great BTW.
Any link to the comics or is it the one at the end of the Rulebook ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looks amazing... I am going to paint monochromatic as well...this just reemphasized that aesthetic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |