Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Holder
United States
Murrieta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long does this effect last on the target enemy? It has no text stating that the effect goes away. I'm guessing it's as long as the creature is either eliminated or dismissed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
Check out my Hollenguard book series on Amazon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe any cards have lasting effects beyond the resolution of the action on the card (except for actions that leave conditions, which have tokens to represent them).

The way I play Rending Strike is as a reflex that modifies another action and reduces the enemy's physical resistance by 2 for that action only. I'll point out that it doesn't have to be your action, giving you some great synergy with other characters. If your Hero area is empty, you can use Rending Strike to reduce the physical resistance of another hero's target. You could even use it on enemies in your own hero area who are being targeted by other heroes (i.e. Ardenai with an arrow or Crow tossing a dagger).

But, no, I would be surprised if the effect lasted beyond the resolution of the action it modifies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think that damage boosting reflexes with range (1) could be applied to other heroes' attacks? Looking at the rule below, it specifically states that only actions that can target an enemy get the range boost. I can't remember the text on Rending Strike, but I think it targets an action, not an enemy directly?

Quote:

Empty Hero Area
If a player has no Enemies in their Hero Area , all Actions (which can
target Enemies)
resolved by that player automatically receive a + Range
bonus. Any effects that modify these Actions still only need range to
target them

And for completeness, the range rules for actions that modify other actions...

Quote:

Range (1) is also enough to modify any Actions resolved by
the same player, even if the range of those Actions is (2) or greater.

Range (2) Actions may target the same game elements as the Range (1)
Actions, as well as their counterparts in any other Hero Area <H>
and (in case of cards that target Enemies) any Enemies in the Quest
Area <Q>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plum wrote:
I didn't think that damage boosting reflexes with range (1) could be applied to other heroes' attacks? Looking at the rule below, it specifically states that only actions that can target an enemy get the range boost. I can't remember the text on Rending Strike, but I think it targets an action, not an enemy directly?

Range 1 actions become Range 2 when your hero area is empty. In other words, you get +1 range when you have no heroes in your own area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:
Range 1 actions become Range 2 when your hero area is empty. In other words, you get +1 range when you have no heroes in your own area.

But if you look at the previous poster's quote, he bolded the part where the action gaining +1 range must target an enemy. Reflex Strike appears to target and modify your own action, not an enemy.

I guess we're wrong on this count. Apparenly, any action has the range increased, so you can use your reflexes to boost whatever you want. See the post below. I contend the rules are wrong or misleading at best, but, as written, the verbiage in parenthesis ("which can target enemies") should just be ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I understand. This was clarified before and I've done my best throughout the day to find the thread to no avail. Suffice to say, the rulebook is unfortunately wrong and the actions do not have to target enemies to receive the +1 range. You can basically consider your hero to have +1 range for every action when your hero area is clear.

I think the original thread where this rule was discussed had to do with using your range 1 defense cards on other heroes when they were attacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fnar wrote:
You can basically consider your hero to have +1 range for every action when your hero area is clear.

Oh wow, that would be a pretty big game changer! But also much less thematic; If I'm playing Crow, it makes sense that I can make an Acrobatic Dodge to avoid damage - I don't have armour to weigh me down. It makes less sense to me that I can somehow inspire someone like Swordguy or Arani to cartwheel away from an attack. On the other hand, it does make sense that Arani can use her holy defence card (I'm not sure what it's called, but it's a (2)Reflex: cancel 1 physical or magical damage), because it's magical and works at range.

I honestly don't know how to feel about this errata - I do want to follow the rules as intended, but it feels inelegant in a game where the theme is otherwise so strong. Do you remember what prompted it originally? Maybe I'm only seeing the worst examples and it's skewing my impression

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found it!

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20308326#20308326

I understand (and somewhat share) your concern. However, thematically speaking you have to remember that this is a group of heroes fighting together in the same location. If Crow has cleared his immediate area, what's to stop him from joining Arani and sharing the defense of an attack, using his acrobatics to help protect her? It would make less thematic sense that Crow has to sit there and watch her get stabbed in the face when he could have done something about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh ok thank you. I'll give it a try in our next game, treating it as the free hero running interference against an enemy.

Thank you for your patience in explaining it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.