Subject: Bookbinder's Collator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
This Guy
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Bookbinder's Collator is a handy little application for Mac. It does one thing, but it does it very well: take a PDF and rearrange the pages so you can print it in spreads.

It has a lot of options that take a little tinkering to figure out, but I've found it very helpful for printing out rulebooks on 11x17 paper and stapling on the spine.

You can learn all about it at http://www.specktacles.com/bookbinderscollator/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Texas A&M UniversityMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: I love TexasMicrobadge: 12th Gamer - Bryan/College Station, Texas
I know Adobe Acrobat will do it as a printing option.

I wonder if there is a similar application for Windows with more flexibility or options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:
Bookbinder's Collator is a handy little application for Mac. It does one thing, but it does it very well: take a PDF and rearrange the pages so you can print it in spreads.
Forgive my ignorance as PC and Linux user... but why do you need to rearrange pages? How is this different/better from the control over page printing that Adobe Acrobat gives to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
How is this different/better from the control over page printing that Adobe Acrobat gives to you?
Macs don't typically have Acrobat Reader on - off the top of my head I don't know if it's even available, although it probably is. Instead they have 'Preview', an application supplied with OSX which displays everything from PDFs to images. And like nearly all Apple software, it does a couple of things well and barely has any extra features at all. I'm pretty sure that last time I used a Mac, Preview didn't do booklet printing.

Additionally, I don't think Acrobat Reader has the feature to collate the pages into sections/signatures smaller than the total page count of the book? A tool that also does this would be useful for longer booklets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
This lets you arrange them in a lot of different folios/signatures. For instance, a very long rulebook could be printed in multiple signatures so that the pages stay a fairly consistent size.

You could also print a card-sized rulebook in such a way as to be able to fold pages, trim, and conserve paper.

Take a look at the Web site. If you don't see something useful for you there, then I won't get my feelings hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
gamesbook wrote:
How is this different/better from the control over page printing that Adobe Acrobat gives to you?
Additionally, I don't think Acrobat Reader has the feature to collate the pages into sections/signatures smaller than the total page count of the book? A tool that also does this would be useful for longer booklets.
I am not sure what you mean by "collate"? You can certainly print subsets using any combination of pages or page ranges desired (but not parts of pages only). If you want to extract sections from the PDF to create new files, then a tool like https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/ will useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Bichatse wrote:

Additionally, I don't think Acrobat Reader has the feature to collate the pages into sections/signatures smaller than the total page count of the book?
I am not sure what you mean by "collate"?
As in: I can sit here with a 200-page PDF and say "print pages 1-16; OK, now print pages 17-32; OK, now 33-48" and so on. But unless I've missed it, there's no feature to say "Print out this 200-page PDF in 16-page subsets, each of which makes a booklet on its own", and have the software work out which sets of pages to print and print them all out without me having to do any sums which I'll inevitably mess up half-way through and end up with a load of sheets of paper I have to print again 'cause I can't add 16 to 96 and get 112.

This is useful for bookbinding because you generally don't want too many sheets of paper folded together at once - they push the fold further and further out meaning that once cut, the pages are narrower and narrower the closer to the fold they are.

Another potential nice feature that such hypothetical software could have would be the ability to balance out the blank padding pages between front and back however I liked, and/or insert extra blank pages where the original PDF doesn't have one. I've tried before to get Acrobat to print a booklet but skip the 'front cover' page and start with page 1 on the inside-left, and it's not easy unless the document already has blank pages you can reference in the explicit page list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know about the aforementioned app, but a good booklet app can do things like this:

You have an 8-page rulebook. The app prints 1 and 8 on the outside and 2 and 7 on the inside of the same sheet. Then on the next sheet it prints 3 and 6 on the outside and 4 and 5 on the inside. When you nest those two sheets and fold them in half, you get a properly paginated rulebook.

For longer books, it does the same thing, but instead of nesting all the pages, you nest groups of pages so that you can sew each of these sections together to bind them in a cover.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls