Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Microbadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: Love is like a butterfly:  It goes where it pleases...Microbadge: I'm a Cat Lady!Microbadge: ...and it pleases wherever it goes.Microbadge: I rescued my pets from an animal shelter
On the New World chart, there is the space that only gives you a card if you have a Galleon. How do you get Galleons?? I haven't seen that anywhere.

What is the point of putting out the Exploration Underway marker instead of just putting one of the random explorers out?

Is there any reason why the Hapsburgs care if something goes Protestant? Don't they really only care about controlling keys and Electorates?

Can the Turk controlled spaces be converted? Someone at our rule review said they thought they couldn't but I don't remember seeing that and then why would they have the white backside.

I'm sure there's more to come...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Some Probably Stupid Questions Before Our First Game on Saturday
oriecat wrote:
On the New World chart, there is the space that only gives you a card if you have a Galleon. How do you get Galleons?? I haven't seen that anywhere.
It's a card that comes in later. That event has to be used for the Galleons box on the chart to matter.

oriecat wrote:
What is the point of putting out the Exploration Underway marker instead of just putting one of the random explorers out?
Well, you don't have to worry about keeping the explorers face-down that way. I suppose it wouldn't be terrible to select beforehand, but you would need to make sure that no one knows which is selected. It's just a bit more straightforward to do all Exploration stff at one time.

oriecat wrote:
Is there any reason why the Hapsburgs care if something goes Protestant? Don't they really only care about controlling keys and Electorates?
Correct, they don't have a vested interest in keeping spaces Catholic per se, but the Pope is a natural ally for them and they don't want the Protestants to win.

oriecat wrote:
Can the Turk controlled spaces be converted? Someone at our rule review said they thought they couldn't but I don't remember seeing that and then why would they have the white backside.
Ottoman home spaces may not be converted, but Catholic areas that the Ottomans take over (e.g. Hungary) definitely can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Microbadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: Love is like a butterfly:  It goes where it pleases...Microbadge: I'm a Cat Lady!Microbadge: ...and it pleases wherever it goes.Microbadge: I rescued my pets from an animal shelter
Thanks, Max!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
If assaulting an empty fortified space, does the defender still get one defense die?

Is there any quick list of when LOC is needed and when Unrest is applied?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Eclipse fanMicrobadge: Let's play by these rules - the ones actually in the rulebookMicrobadge: Rules LawyerMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Polyamorous
MD1616 wrote:
oriecat wrote:

[q="oriecat"]What is the point of putting out the Exploration Underway marker instead of just putting one of the random explorers out?
Well, you don't have to worry about keeping the explorers face-down that way. I suppose it wouldn't be terrible to select beforehand, but you would need to make sure that no one knows which is selected. It's just a bit more straightforward to do all Exploration stff at one time.
It is also a natural enforcement of the rule that you can usually only send one explorer each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
Microbadge: The Beatles fanMicrobadge: Bruce Springsteen fanMicrobadge: Elvis Costello fanMicrobadge: Johnny Cash fanMicrobadge: Creedence Clearwater Revival fan
oriecat wrote:
If assaulting an empty fortified space, does the defender still get one defense die?

Is there any quick list of when LOC is needed and when Unrest is applied?
Yes, they still roll one die.

No, there is no summary of that rule section on another game component.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No stupid questions.... just stupid thread titles whistle

Could you edit the title to make it more useful for others who may have the same questions? Something like, "Multiple Questions: Galleons, Exploration Markers, Hapsburg Motivations, and Religious Control of Ottoman Spaces" or some such.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:

I wouldn't want anyone knowing who their explorers are especially if I'm threatening to play Search for Cibola or Fountain of Youth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
mkiefte wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

I wouldn't want anyone knowing who their explorers are especially if I'm threatening to play Search for Cibola or Fountain of Youth.

Oh ok. I just imagined putting a random explorer face down in the Ocean Crossing and not looking at it, but I know there is a lot that can happen that I don't know yet, so I will do it as the rules say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Can factions be eliminated? Like if you take over all of their home territory and kill their people? Does that happen much, if so? That would kind of suck to get thrown out of the game like halfway through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
Can factions be eliminated? Like if you take over all of their home territory and kill their people? Does that happen much, if so? That would kind of suck to get thrown out of the game like halfway through.
No, there's no player elimination. It's exceedingly unlikely that anyone will evel lose all his keys, though. I've never seen it happen in a rather large number of games. Remember the mechanic of suing for peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Awesome. I'm excited for tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
We got to the middle of turn 4 and had to call it a day, reconvening tomorrow. I (Papacy) got up to 26 points in Turn 2, but then the French took Milan back from me to get me down to 24 before turns end. Time to study some rules again before tomorrow and see what we might have been doing wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin B.
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
We got to the middle of turn 4 and had to call it a day, reconvening tomorrow. I (Papacy) got up to 26 points in Turn 2, but then the French took Milan back from me to get me down to 24 before turns end. Time to study some rules again before tomorrow and see what we might have been doing wrong.
WoW, Pope with Milan and 26 VP mid-turn in turn 2...
What the the Protestants do? Hang around talking about the weather?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
They had incredibly bad reformation rolls, so the spread in Germany just wasn't happening. We did forget to move some troops down, so that would have affected it though. Lots of learning to do!

England won at the end of turn 6 because he got a 6 on his pregnancy roll the prior turn. I learned no more easier divorces!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
They had incredibly bad reformation rolls, so the spread in Germany just wasn't happening. We did forget to move some troops down, so that would have affected it though. Lots of learning to do!

England won at the end of turn 6 because he got a 6 on his pregnancy roll the prior turn. I learned no more easier divorces!
I generally consider about two cards (and perhaps a merc or two) a fair price for a divorce, but that definitely changes based on the board position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls