14 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: In which order should I paint the core set for campaign play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the heroes, in which order should I paint the minis for campaign play if I play with 4 heroes?

The point is I want to start playing (the first missions) with painted miniatures, but I don't want to paint the whole set before playing the game.

Are there any minis I would need only in later missions, respectivly how many stormtroopers do you need for the first missions?

Please give me some advice

regards,
DA_Maz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is never going to be an exact order with the random missions in play.

In my experience something like this.

Stormtroopers
Officers
Probe Droids
E-Web Engineer
Vader
Trandosians
Royal Guard
Nexu
ATST
Then any specials you might have (Prioritise General Weiss).

If it's your copy, and you are the Imperial Player, then you could relatively easy work out what you need for the next mission and just pain up what you need that way. Probably the only reliable way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx for your answer

Do the first missions require all the stormtroopers, or will I get away with painting only a few of them in the beginning (if so, how many)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
thx for your answer

Do the first missions require all the stormtroopers, or will I get away with painting only a few of them in the beginning (if so, how many)?
2 groups = 6 troopers
also 2 officers.

You can read it in the campaign book: Aftermath: Initial Groups and Reserved Groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well they are deployed in squads of 3. You would need at least 6 for the first mission I think.

And if you're painting 6 you might as well paint 9.

Check out Sorastro's painting channel if you need some great step by step guides. https://www.youtube.com/user/Sorastro/videos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Stormtroopers... invest in White primer. You will thank me for it (as I thank Sorastro).

but I did not go so far as to wash the whole Stormtrooper, then highlight back up with white - it takes too long and white is boring

I just highlighted the edges with Nuln oil. I like the clean look. I'll see if I can find a WIP pic for you

Edit: here you go. WIP Kayn Somos. Only white primer, grey and black details, and orange for the pauldron. Lines highlighted with nuln oil and a very fine brush. Repeat x9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Florence + the Machine fanMicrobadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan
I have a slightly different experience. I'd paint in this order:

Stormtroopers
Probe Droids
E-Web Engineer
Officers
Royal Guard
Trandoshans
Vader
Nexu
AT-ST

...which is more or less Sorastros' order of videos.

Also, I agree that once you get started on one group, you really should do them all at once. This is especially true if you have to mix colors to get the right shade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I actually just started painting my minis for this game as well. I will look at those videos tonight. I normally am happy to leave them as is, but gray stormtroopers were pissing me off.

My taste in art is more minimalist or Russian propaganda. Both focus more on single colors and no shading. So my stormtroopers are white armor with no dirt and black eyepieces/guns/trim/etc. That Kayne Somos (whatever his name is) gets the orange shoulder as well and that's it. This is going to make Boba Fett a pain in the butt. I made need to make him a "Boba just repainted his armor" figure.

As a quick concession to pragmatism, I painted every single circular base even before painting minis. I wanted a way to distinguish between squads without relying on stickers or memory. So the first copy of each Imperial or Mercenary figure has a red base. The second, blue. The third, green. Rebels first figures are bronze bases and I havent needed a second color for them yet. Probably a metallic silver.

So, relevant to topic: I...
Painted bases to distinguish squads
Stormtroopers
Ewebs
Probe droids
Imperial officers
Vader (he was easy)
Royal guard (they were easy)
Not sure who next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
I actually just started painting my minis for this game as well. I will look at those videos tonight. I normally am happy to leave them as is, but gray stormtroopers were pissing me off.

My taste in art is more minimalist or Russian propaganda. Both focus more on single colors and no shading. So my stormtroopers are white armor with no dirt and black eyepieces/guns/trim/etc. That Kayne Somos (whatever his name is) gets the orange shoulder as well and that's it. This is going to make Boba Fett a pain in the butt. I made need to make him a "Boba just repainted his armor" figure.

As a quick concession to pragmatism, I painted every single circular base even before painting minis. I wanted a way to distinguish between squads without relying on stickers or memory. So the first copy of each Imperial or Mercenary figure has a red base. The second, blue. The third, green. Rebels first figures are bronze bases and I havent needed a second color for them yet. Probably a metallic silver.

So, relevant to topic: I...
Painted bases to distinguish squads
Stormtroopers
Ewebs
Probe droids
Imperial officers
Vader (he was easy)
Royal guard (they were easy)
Not sure who next.
If you want to paint them not Russian, watch sorastros videos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, there isn't any real order in which units crop up. I've painted all of the minis in this game and the way I go about painting sets of miniatures is to start off with the simplest ones first. That way you get a real sense of progression and satisfaction and you won't be put off going any further by slogging away with the more detailed figures first. I'd start off with things like the Royal Guards, Probe Droids, Imperial officers and stormtroopers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy mcglothlin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I feel like the Rebel heroes, being the unique and epic characters they are, we're far too complicated for me to start with. I'd never painted miniatures before. I had to work my way up to them. I'm still not done with them yet (I am done with Jyn and Gaarkhan).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Tysonk28 wrote:
If you want to paint them not Russian, watch sorastros videos
I'm going to watch them because I will take any hints or tips for painting. I just don't plan on making my figures look dirty/worn or really finely detailed. Just something better than blank gray or tan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for all your answers.

I'm in no way new to painting. I painted a lot of Warhammer figures a long time ago and recently painted the whole Descent base set and a few expansions, so my question only had one thing in mind:
My friends want to play this game as soon as possible and I want to play the game as much painted as possible.

However I really don't enjoy painting more than 3 figures of the same kind at the same time, so I wanted to know, what figures see the most time on the table, so I paint them first and Stormtroopers in between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan C
msg tools
While I generally agree with everyone above. I would suggest painting the probe droids first. They are super easy to paint (easiest of all of the figs) and they will look fantastic. Once their done you will have the proper motivation to paint everything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls