8 Posts

Thunderbirds» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple of rules queries rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Graham
Canada
flag msg tools
Three games in so far, and my wife and I are loving it. We're still pretty new to modern board gaming, yet Mr Leacock is already slowly consuming our shelf space. This is another winner.

We had a couple situations come up:

Say you have two disasters in North America, and upon arriving and totting up the bonuses you realise Disaster X requires a roll of 5, while Disaster Y only needs a 4. Is it permissible to just roll, and if you hit 5+, call Disaster X done, but if you fall short with a 4, attribute the roll to Disaster Y? Or does a specific disaster card need to be called ahead of rolling the rescue? In the end we ruled that, thematically, you should be aiming to pull off a specific rescue. It's no good if Scott arrives on scene and just blunders into whatever rescue happens first.

Event Card: "The Hood's Hypnotic Eyes"
"Players cannot use the special abilities on their character cards until a player in Asia discards (Determination)"

Does "special ability" include, for instance, Virgil's Land Rescue +2 bonus? Or just his Tech token generating ability? It seems like the Land/Air/Sea/Space bonuses are more like "traits" than "abilities", because you don't "activate" them, they just are. But then Penelope gets hit hard by this card, because both things on her card are activated "abilities". If it does simply negates ALL text on ALL players' cards, then ouch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Virus wrote:
Three games in so far, and my wife and I are loving it. We're still pretty new to modern board gaming, yet Mr Leacock is already slowly consuming our shelf space. This is another winner.

Say you have two disasters in North America, and upon arriving and totting up the bonuses you realise Disaster X requires a roll of 5, while Disaster Y only needs a 4. Is it permissible to just roll, and if you hit 5+, call Disaster X done, but if you fall short with a 4, attribute the roll to Disaster Y? Or does a specific disaster card need to be called ahead of rolling the rescue?
No, because
The Virus wrote:
thematically, you should be aiming to pull off a specific rescue. It's makes no sense if Scott arrives on scene and just blunders into whatever rescue happens first.

The Virus wrote:
"Players cannot use the special abilities on their character cards until a player in Asia discards (Determination)"

Does "special ability" include, for instance, Virgil's Land Rescue +2 bonus? Or just his Tech token generating ability? It seems like the Land/Air/Sea/Space bonuses are more like "traits" than "abilities", because you don't "activate" them, they just are. But then Penelope gets hit hard by this card, because both things on her card are activated "abilities". If it does simply negates ALL text on ALL players' cards, then ouch.
We too assumed they meant the text at the bottom of the card. For exactly the reasons you stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Lord of the Rings Game fanMicrobadge: Space Alert fanMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Castellion fanMicrobadge: Dwarf fan
AernoutMJC wrote:
The Virus wrote:

Say you have two disasters in North America, and upon arriving and totting up the bonuses you realise Disaster X requires a roll of 5, while Disaster Y only needs a 4. Is it permissible to just roll, and if you hit 5+, call Disaster X done, but if you fall short with a 4, attribute the roll to Disaster Y? Or does a specific disaster card need to be called ahead of rolling the rescue?
No, because
The Virus wrote:
thematically, you should be aiming to pull off a specific rescue. It's makes no sense if Scott arrives on scene and just blunders into whatever rescue happens first.

The Virus wrote:

We too assumed they meant the text at the bottom of the card. For exactly the reasons you stated.
We play ignore the card text. Nothing I've seen yet clarifies this. Either way it is removed quickly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I also would think it is the special ability w.r.t. to actions.

If the other would apply, then (for example) Virgil at some point is not better at land rescue than sea rescue, which is thematically inconsistent. They eyes can affect rescues, but if Virgil performs worse on any rescue he still is better at land rescues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Raps
Netherlands
Vlijmen
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Zombicide fanMicrobadge: Thunderbirds fanMicrobadge: Massive Darkness fanMicrobadge: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective FanMicrobadge: Zombicide: Black Plague fan
The Virus wrote:

Say you have two disasters in North America, and upon arriving and totting up the bonuses you realise Disaster X requires a roll of 5, while Disaster Y only needs a 4. Is it permissible to just roll, and if you hit 5+, call Disaster X done, but if you fall short with a 4, attribute the roll to Disaster Y? Or does a specific disaster card need to be called ahead of rolling the rescue? In the end we ruled that, thematically, you should be aiming to pull off a specific rescue. It's no good if Scott arrives on scene and just blunders into whatever rescue happens first.
The rules are a bit vague, but it seems you go out to defeat specific disaster cards. So in that case: no, you can't just blunder your way from one disaster to another.

The Virus wrote:

We've played it so that it negates all text. After all, both are special things only this specific character can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Starblazer Adventures RPG fanMicrobadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: RPG Geek of the Week!Microbadge: Achtung! Cthulhu fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
The Virus wrote:

You need to call a rescue - I'm attempting THIS one :-)

Special abilities include their unique bonuses. Basically assume anything on the character card can't be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for the reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Graham
Canada
flag msg tools
JoystickJunkies wrote:
Special abilities include their unique bonuses. Basically assume anything on the character card can't be used.
Thanks, Chris. And NO thanks, because this card single-handedly lost my (up to this point, very promising) solitaire game last night
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls