Subject: Warrior limits, and market setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Thompson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Just played through for the first time, with my wife and myself -- love the theme & gameplay, had a lot of fun with it. We had some rules questions though:

1. Do dice already allocated for ships, trolls, and draugr count towards the limit when adding warriors to your leaderboard? Or can you always add to empty spaces on your leaderboard, even if that results in your having more than 8 total warriors between the leaderboard & the play area?

2. In situations where acquired warriors (or returning ones, per #1) would exceed the 8 spaces on your leader board, do you have the option of discarding existing warriors or does it have to be from the ones being added? The former seems more flexible (pool them all, and reduce down to 8), but would also allow someone to "upgrade" their warriors at the same time they deny someone else that spot on the game board. Is there an official rule?

3. In initial setup, are all the tiles & cards that will be visible for Round 1 face up when leaders are chosen? The market tiles especially seem like they could influence that decision, so it would be nice to clarify whether they are meant to be face up for a more informed choice of leader.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miche
Germany
flag msg tools
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat...
badge
I see dead people...
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot answer point 3 (I don't think the rules are explicit on this one), but for the others:

1) You only assign your warrior dice once you have placed all your workers. Therefore, your scenario cannot occur.

2) see above, not possible

Take care!
da_miche
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Thompson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the clarification on #1, we played it correctly the second time. I think the second question still applies though, in cases where you are selecting to take warriors and you already have a full or mostly full leader card.

My revised questions:

1. What are the rules around choosing a spot that you do not have the requirement to activate, or do not have the ability to benefit from? i.e. any of the following:
- a spot that costs money, if you have no money to spend
- a spot that gives warriors, if you are already full on warriors
- market, with no wood/food/coin
- market tile to exchange food for favor, when you have no food
- coin for favor, when you have no coin
- a troll/draugr/ship when you have not enough warriors to assign later
- any other time where your primary objective is to block another player's action, rather than taking that action yourself

I think the rulebook is somewhat clear that when you choose a location, you have to carry out its action if you can. It is less clear on whether a location is unavailable to you if carrying out that action would be impossible, or if it would provide no benefit (i.e. discarded warriors, as per #2 below.)

2. When choosing a spot that grants warriors, and you already have a full board of warriors, are you allowed to discard existing ones, or must the discards come from the new recruits?

Personally, after a couple of plays through, I think I'd rule that discards must come from new dice on #2, and that you cannot take a spot just to block, without being able to benefit from its action in some way -- i.e. taking dice where all would be discarded, or any location with an activation cost that cannot be paid. In general the luxury of being able to take a blocking action lies with whoever already has some kind of resource advantage, so it's a more self-balancing game to avoid those blocking actions. I also like the strategic value of evaluating spaces that will be impossible for other players to take so that I can defer those choices until later workers. The one exception here is troll/draugr/ship assignment -- it is entirely possible through other players' actions to be blocked from getting enough workers to perform the action you intended, so I don't see any reason why someone should ever be prevented from making one of those placements since it could always be argued to be in good faith (i.e. not having enough warriors or food at the moment should not prevent you from taking the spot.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
ckevin wrote:
Thanks for the clarification on #1, we played it correctly the second time. I think the second question still applies though, in cases where you are selecting to take warriors and you already have a full or mostly full leader card.

My revised questions:

1. What are the rules around choosing a spot that you do not have the requirement to activate, or do not have the ability to benefit from? i.e. any of the following:
- a spot that costs money, if you have no money to spend
- a spot that gives warriors, if you are already full on warriors
- market, with no wood/food/coin
- market tile to exchange food for favor, when you have no food
- coin for favor, when you have no coin
- a troll/draugr/ship when you have not enough warriors to assign later
- any other time where your primary objective is to block another player's action, rather than taking that action yourself

I think the rulebook is somewhat clear that when you choose a location, you have to carry out its action if you can. It is less clear on whether a location is unavailable to you if carrying out that action would be impossible, or if it would provide no benefit (i.e. discarded warriors, as per #2 below.)
When you assign a worker to a location, you are compelled to activate it. If you are unwilling or unable to activate a location you may beg by placing a worker on your player board and taking 1 food and 1 blame.
Brown and blue locations are instantly resolved and so they must be activated.
Red locations are essentially combat reservations. You do not need dice at the time of placing your worker. Warrior dice are assigned later, so yes, you may assign a worker to a combat location and then end up sending no dice.
Though I would imagine that given the number of good spots on the board, wasting an action to simply deny another player that action is not likely to be a winning strategy.

Quote:
2. When choosing a spot that grants warriors, and you already have a full board of warriors, are you allowed to discard existing ones, or must the discards come from the new recruits?

Personally, after a couple of plays through, I think I'd rule that discards must come from new dice on #2, and that you cannot take a spot just to block, without being able to benefit from its action in some way -- i.e. taking dice where all would be discarded, or any location with an activation cost that cannot be paid. In general the luxury of being able to take a blocking action lies with whoever already has some kind of resource advantage, so it's a more self-balancing game to avoid those blocking actions. I also like the strategic value of evaluating spaces that will be impossible for other players to take so that I can defer those choices until later workers. The one exception here is troll/draugr/ship assignment -- it is entirely possible through other players' actions to be blocked from getting enough workers to perform the action you intended, so I don't see any reason why someone should ever be prevented from making one of those placements since it could always be argued to be in good faith (i.e. not having enough warriors or food at the moment should not prevent you from taking the spot.)
You cannot essentially "trade up" by taking more warriors than you have and discarding the ones you don't want. This is addressed in the back of the rulebook. "What if I acquire more Viking Warriors than I have
room for on my Leader Board?
You are not permitted to take the excess Warriors. If you have
7 Viking Warrior dice already and take an action which says
you acquire 2 Viking Warrior dice, you may only take 1 of the
Viking Warrior dice you are owed. You choose which you keep
and any excess are returned to the supply"

You can go to a location that allows you to collect dice if you are already at your capacity. The space is resolved. You take the dice. And discard them.

And to answer your third question from above:
During setup, you put the market tiles on the board in step 3. You choose viking leaders in step 8. So yes, you know what the maket stall tiles will be when you chose your viking leader.

Troll, Monster, and Draugr cards are added to the board during Round Setup in the first step of every game round. Therefore those are not known when you pick your leader.

Thanks for supporting our game. I hope you are enjoying slaying monsters and getting glory!

-Josh
Grey Fox Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Thompson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the responses, and we are! We play with the whole family quite a bit, and the kids love using the sage's hut & taking ships to defeat the biggest monsters they can find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCormick
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
When you assign a worker to a location, you are compelled to activate it. If you are unwilling or unable to activate a location you may beg by placing a worker on your player board and taking 1 food and 1 blame.
Red locations are essentially combat reservations. You do not need dice at the time of placing your worker. Warrior dice are assigned later, so yes, you may assign a worker to a combat location and then end up sending no dice.
Though I would imagine that given the number of good spots on the board, wasting an action to simply deny another player that action is not likely to be a winning strategy.
Sorry just one small thing I was confused on.

So for example if a player were to place a worker on say the merchant ship, and then they then either refuse to or can't afford to activate the space.

Would they then have to take a SEPERATE worker and use it to beg on their player board? Effectively using two workers but blocking the merchant ship space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Reissmann
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yohama wrote:
Quote:
Sorry just one small thing I was confused on.

So for example if a player were to place a worker on say the merchant ship, and then they then either refuse to or can't afford to activate the space.

Would they then have to take a SEPERATE worker and use it to beg on their player board? Effectively using two workers but blocking the merchant ship space?
No. You can't take a spot that you can't or are unwilling to activate. If you're not going to use the merchant ship you can't place your worker there. If you place a worker on an area that you can't or don't want to activate you take the worker that you placed there and move them to your player board to indicate that they are taking the beg action instead. If you want to block the merchant ship you must pay its cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls