Subject: Fengray's blocking abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We just finished a tremendously dramatic close win against the Abomination using Fengray (Sword & Board guy) with the Cleric. But here's my question re Fengray's abilities:

Fengray helped the Cleric numerous times with his "Block" card combined with "I Am Your Shield" from the Advanced Feats. The Cleric would then return the favor by playing her "Sacrifice" as a Range-2 Reflex, thereby allowing Fengray to retrieve his "Block" from the discard pile into his hand, which allowed him to "Block" + "I Am Your Shield" again.

We played it that he only blocked 2 pts of physical damage this way.

However, after the game was over, we wondered if the language on Fengray's "Charter" would apply (Shield Mastery) where it says that if you cancel any wound "using a Shield card" then cancel +1.

QUESTION: Is Fengray actually "using" his Shield when he plays "Block"? He is required to have the Shield in his Hero Area but is he "using" it? If so, he could have been blocking 3 wds for the Cleric every time he performed his long-range block.

Any thoughts on this? Or designer answer?

I note that Round Shield, Block, and I Am Your Shield are all Reflex actions, so perhaps they could all be played simultaneously? If so, Fengray could potentially block 4 wds (with Shield Mastery if applicable here), although then he'd have to discard his Shield which he would not want to do!

In any case, even the 2-wd Block combined with Sacrifice makes Fengray and the Cleric a very good 2-player team. There's a lot of other stuff they do well together, which I won't go into, as that would probably be more suitable for a Strategy post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
Check out my Hollenguard book series on Amazon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimZam wrote:
QUESTION: Is Fengray actually "using" his Shield when he plays "Block"? He is required to have the Shield in his Hero Area but is he "using" it? If so, he could have been blocking 3 wds for the Cleric every time he performed his long-range block.

My thoughts on this are that the Block card doesn't have the Shield keyword, and while it's effect is modified by having a shield in Fengray's hero area, the Shield keyword isn't being conferred to Block since the Round Shield isn't actually using any sort of an action to modify Block. The rules, unfortunately, are rather ambiguous about this though, and Blazej would have the final word.

JimZam wrote:
I note that Round Shield, Block, and I Am Your Shield are all Reflex actions, so perhaps they could all be played simultaneously?

Yes, this works fine. Since I Am Your Shield sits in your Hero Area and can be used to modify any other action, you could play as many Blocks and Dodges in addition to your Round Shield to reduce damage for your fellow heroes at range 2 (at the additional focus cost, of course). Keep in mind that Fengray can choose to discard his shield rather than placing it on top of his deck, at which time Arani could use sacrifice to get it back for you (basically accomplishing the same thing as what you two were doing with Block + Sacrifice).

This game has excellent hero combinations, and exploring them like you are is a lot of the fun for myself and my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fnar wrote:
JimZam wrote:

My thoughts on this are that the Block card doesn't have the Shield keyword, and while it's effect is modified by having a shield in Fengray's hero area, the Shield keyword isn't being conferred to Block since the Round Shield isn't actually using any sort of an action to modify Block. The rules, unfortunately, are rather ambiguous about this though, and Blazej would have the final word.

JimZam wrote:
I note that Round Shield, Block, and I Am Your Shield are all Reflex actions, so perhaps they could all be played simultaneously?

Yes, this works fine. Since I Am Your Shield sits in your Hero Area and can be used to modify any other action, you could play as many Blocks and Dodges in addition to your Round Shield to reduce damage for your fellow heroes at range 2 (at the additional focus cost, of course). Keep in mind that Fengray can choose to discard his shield rather than placing it on top of his deck, at which time Arani could use sacrifice to get it back for you (basically accomplishing the same thing as what you two were doing with Block + Sacrifice).

This game has excellent hero combinations, and exploring them like you are is a lot of the fun for myself and my wife.

Its these combinations that make the game more than fun , you actually feel like you are developing skills and in effect it does simulate skills.

Very similar to all those hectic button pushing options from video fighting games but in a much more thoughtful and satisfying. After learning them you recognise opportunities and situations for particular combos of heroes and actions. So you build a tactical and strategic fighting ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mmm, it is a bit odd that Fengray's shieldmastery only affects one card in his deck.
two more "Abblocken" (think it's Block) and "Undurchdringlicher Schild" (could be Impervious Shield" require to have a Shield in his <H>. These two cards have the german "Schutz" keyword .. what is it in english? Shield?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
Check out my Hollenguard book series on Amazon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the English versions of "Block" and "Impenetrable Shield," it looks like the English translation of Shutz is "Protection" as those cards share that keyword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fnar wrote:
Looking at the English versions of "Block" and "Impenetrable Shield," it looks like the English translation of Shutz is "Protection" as those cards share that keyword.

I think it's Schultz -- an obvious Hogan's Heroes reference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for looking. Was hoping to find Shield as a keyword there.
So, Fengray's Mastery only applies by one card. Sad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.