Clash of Cultures» Forums » General

Subject: Clash of Cultures + Expansion for the first time playing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Toxica
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading a bit how much better the game gets with the expansion. I am asking myself if 4 new players that never played the game before shall throw in the expansion and play with it. Or shall we play without the expansion to get a better understanding of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bear in mind the expansion just adds a lot of candy, unlike many other game expansions it doesn't "fix" anything. The base game is a total blast on its own and it already has a lot of information to digest. I'd try vanilla first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced this game + expansion to 3 new players and they did just fine. The added rules aren't that much. However, these players had experience with some other heavy euro games and eclipse + expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say go with just base game for your first play.
I played it for the first time earlier this year (with 2 other newbies) and there is just so much to keep track of and adding even more from expansion will drag out the game. Keep in mind that the tech tree is massive already so for the first couple games you have a lot to explore there already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go vanilla first as well. If nothing else, than to appretiate the expansion more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the suggestion to skip the expansion for the first few plays and enjoy the base game for a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

I agree, get them to try the base game and once they realize it is a very good game then throw in the expansion which makes it a great game!!!

For the first time, there is a lot of stuff to keep track of.

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
I would go vanilla first as well. If nothing else, than to appretiate the expansion more.

Agreed, I also think that it's hard to see the significance of - or figure out the strategy changes necessary for - the Civ/Leader special powers until you have the hang of the vanilla game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toxica
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all of you for answering, we will play the base game without the expansion tonight. I am sure it will be a blast to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd also recommend playing the short variant for your first game. With 4 players, the game can take a long time, ~60m per player (assuming the players know the game). It takes 3/4 of the time to play it and I doubt you'd get a more positive experience out of the full game (unless youre all seasoned 4X players)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.