6 Posts

BGG» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Theory

Subject: Designing rule game: where what should be studied rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francesco Pizzo
Italy
flag msg tools
Like many other I ever had the idea of design my own rule for a game.
But what should study or know for a game?
This in general, what I need is know as much as possible about miniatures skirmish and not skirmish wargame (especially how balance models profile), any book or other source are welcome, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Game Explainer
Song of Blades and Heroes
Mordheim: City of the Damned
Warmachine Prime Mk II
Warhammer 40,000
Stargrunt II
Malifaux (second edition)
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not specifically for miniatures skirmish but an excellent book on game design as a whole. It focuses mostly on video games but the lessons are very easily applicable to board games as well.

Jesse Schell's "The Art of Game Design: A book of lenses"
http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Game-Design-lenses/dp/01236949...

Helped me get started on game design and focuses on all aspects of game design, not just balancing but all of those aspects are very important to having a complete and fun gaming experience. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Pizzo
Italy
flag msg tools
Thanks for your reply.

Eric Jome, you mean look at other games rules? I know many of this game, but how balancing models profiles? Does designer developed an algorithm?

Jack Poon, thanks for your suggestion, I'll have book in kindle format, but is very bad reading from kindle, I guess the physical version is a lot better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vasquez
United States
Dyess AFB
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: US Air ForceMicrobadge: Doom: The Roguelike fan
Francesco, I think balancing really comes down force composition. if the blue army is very tank heavy, give the red army a lot of anti-tank capabilities, so on and so forth. A lot of this will be determined by your setting. Is it a futuristic skirmish game where units have flavorings such as plasma weapons, railguns, and the like? Or is it more of an archaic setting where you have bowmen and knights in full plate armor?

For specific models, you could assign a point value for ratings so you know how units stack against each other. So if each point of Firepower is worth 3 points, a point of Armor is worth 2 points, and a point of Speed is worth 1 point, a model with (Firepower 5, Armor 3, Speed 4) will be worth 25 points.

I've never designed a man-to-man skirmish-style game myself, but hopefully this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Game Explainer
Francesco_A wrote:
Eric Jome, you mean look at other games rules? I know many of this game, but how balancing models profiles? Does designer developed an algorithm?
Yes. Study other successful games.

Balance is over-rated. None of the successful games focus on balance. They focus on drama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls