United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Now that the game is out in the wild (essen release) and some folks are playing, can someone explain how the beer cards work and what new mechanics this expansion introduces? Looked for a rulebook online and was unsuccessful.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my KS copy, so I'll try to answer some of your questions.

From what I can tell, it works exactly the same as previous Tanto Cuore games. There are no Private Maids (black border) in the base set, though KS backers got one new Private Maid, Astrid Werde, who has an ability that allows you to draw beer cards.

Beer is the only real new mechanic offered that I can see, though I've only ever played the base Tanto Cuore on my iPad before this.

There is a Beer deck that is face down, but the top card of the deck is always flipped face-up. The deck always starts with a special "Oktoberfest" Beer card face up; it is worth 3 VPs but also counts as a Weissbeer when totaling score (see below). When you gain a Beer card, you have the choice of the face-up card or the top card of the deck, and it goes directly into your Private Quarters, face-down.

There are two "Bar Maids" that have the ability to allow you to draw beer cards: Nadja Kersten and Gina Kersten. Both allow you to buy Beer cards when they are employed, as well as when they are played normally.

Typically, you will gain Beer via these two Bar Maids, but there are two additional cards that grant other ways to gain beer:

"Beer Stand" - A Beer card that, when drawn or placed face-up, goes in play for one round and allows players to buy beer during the Employ phase without a Bar Maid.

"Let Me Drink" - An Event card that goes straight into your Private Quarters but allows you to steal a face-down Beer card from an opponent.

Beer cards essentially function as VP cards. They are kept face-down in your Private Quarters when you gain them, but they cannot be purchased unless a card specifically says you can. There are 4 types of Beer:

- Weissbeer: VPs are equal to # of Weissbeer in your Private Quarters. 1 Alcohol.

- Pilsner: VPs are per set; 3 Pilsners = 14vp, 2 = 6vp, 1 = 1vp. 2 Alcohol.

- Altbeer: 4vps each. 3 Alcohol.

- Bock: 6VPs, but if you have 2 or more Maid Chiefs in your deck, they are worth 0vps. 5 Alcohol.

There are two Beer cards (both titled "Get Drunk" but with slightly different effects) that, when drawn or revealed, require the active player to check his total Alcohol value. If the total alcohol value of his Beer Cards is 9 or above, he either has to discard a Beer Card or give a Beer card to another player, depending on which version was drawn/revealed.

There is also a "Beer Fest" building card that, when employed, allows you to protect a single Beer Card from being discarded or stolen.

I hope this sheds some light on things for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gum
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Employ bonus mechanic is also new. It's exactly what it sounds like; you get an effect when you buy the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I plan on getting one and only 1 Tanto box, should this be it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls