Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Fury of Dracula (Third/Fourth Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Revealing sea locations and clearing the trail rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Omar Cardona
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three questions. First if hunters move into a sea location that Dracula was in or is in, does he have to reveal it?
Second question, what happens if a lair is cleared? Do any location cards still on the trail shift or do they stay where they where? Also what is considered clearing a location?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Omarc55 wrote:
First if hunters move into a sea location that Dracula was in or is in, does he have to reveal it?
No. Learn to Play, page 12 "Revealing Dracula": "Dracula cannot be revealed while he is on a sea zone".

Omarc55 wrote:
Second question, what happens if a lair is cleared? Do any location cards still on the trail shift or do they stay where they where?
Yes because you can clear a Lair only after Drac moves there during his Move phase (Learn to Play, page 8 "Moving"; and page 15 "Lairs") and that includes sliding the cards on the trail.

The difference is that you don't add a location from your deck to the 1st trail spot, but you simply move the Lair into the 1st spot.
EDIT: Oh and, you add an Encounter card on the Lair as usual, mind you!


Sorry, I misinterpreted the question. I don't know why but I was thinking of Drac moving to a Lair and converting it back to a hideout.

That's right clearing a Lair does not cause a shift in the trails, and this may happen:
- voluntary by Drac at anytime (simply clear the Lair as usual)
- voluntary by Drac after a new hideout is matured and he wants to convert it to a Lair but there are already 3 Lairs in play
- compulsory by Drac (whenever there are no more encounters on the Lair)

If Drac moves into the Lair position, the Lair is not cleared.

An hypothetical sequence is this, I think:
- Paris is on the 6th place, with an Encounter
- Drac night: the trail shifts, Paris exits the trail and matures
- Drac converts Paris to a Lair, adding a second Encounter card
- later Drac moves to Paris again: the trail shifts as usual (because of Drac Movement segment), but instead of picking a location card from his location deck, he moves Paris lair to the 1st position of the trail (actual position), reverting Paris to an hideout AND he puts a 3rd Encounter on it

(Providing hunters haven't discovered Paris meanwhile and/or all Ecounters are still in that place)

Omarc55 wrote:
Also what is considered clearing a location?
Learn to Play, page 11 "Vampire Encounters":
1) all location cards in that hideout are returned to the location deck
2) all encounter cards in that hideout are discarded
3) all tokens in that hideout are placed in the token pool (watch out for Rumor tokens!)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Cardona
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about if a hideout is cleared? Say of it was on space 3 of the trail and the hunters cleared the encounter, does the location card stay as well and if so, do you shift any cards after the 3rd card if able?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Omarc55 wrote:
What about if a hideout is cleared? Say of it was on space 3 of the trail and the hunters cleared the encounter, does the location card stay as well and if so, do you shift any cards after the 3rd card if able?
No wait, the hunters do not "clear" anything, they simply discard the Encounter after a Search (or, if it's a Vampire, after they have defeated it); or the Encounter has been used as an Ambush or other effects.

So the location card always stays on the trail.

When some Vampires mature, you clear the 4th, 5th and 6th spaces (see they have a different graphic, too) so you have never "holes" in the trail.

EDIT: only a Lair could be "cleared" meaning that if all encounter cards are removed from it, Drac must clear it following the usual clear rules.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Cardona
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, we where doing that wrong. Thanks. I don't know if I like it that way, to be honest. It's not much of a hideout if it's just revealed and no encounter cards are on it. Lol
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythologem wrote:

Omarc55 wrote:
Second question, what happens if a lair is cleared? Do any location cards still on the trail shift or do they stay where they where?
Yes because you can clear a Lair only after Drac moves there during his Move phase (Learn to Play, page 8 "Moving"; and page 15 "Lairs") and that includes sliding the cards on the trail.

The difference is that you don't add a location from your deck to the 1st trail spot, but you simply move the Lair into the 1st spot.
EDIT: Oh and, you add an Encounter card on the Lair as usual, mind you!
Clearing a lair does not cause a shift in the cards on the trail.

In the case of moving to a lair, as the trail shifts first, you will not clear the lair until after the shift has taken place and no further shift in the trail will take place.

Also note that there are other circumstances in which a lair is cleared, see page 15 of "Learn to Play".

Quote:
Dracula may clear a lair at any time, and he must clear a lair if
all encounter cards are removed from that lair.
In those circumstances, Dracula is not moving and there is no change in the cards on the trail.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's a spoiled hideout And it's worse for Drac because:
- now you know where he moved and can plan accordingly ("He's only 2 steps from here!")
- the location card is still locked on the trail, so Drac cannot move there (no backtrack unless he uses some Powers)

Enjoy! It's a fun game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
Clearing a lair does not cause a shift in the cards on the trail. (...)
Thank you for the correction, I've straightened out my mistake above.

However,
Quote:
In the case of moving to a lair, as the trail shifts first, you will not clear the lair until after the shift has taken place and no further shift in the trail will take place.
I don't think that this is correct: you don't clear a Lair converted back to a hideout. This has an impact on the total number of Encounters on it.

I really miss a "Clear" and "Resolve" keyword paragraphs in the Rules Reference, to be honest.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythologem wrote:
DaveD wrote:
Clearing a lair does not cause a shift in the cards on the trail. (...)
Thank you for the correction, I've straightened out my mistake above.

However,
Quote:
In the case of moving to a lair, as the trail shifts first, you will not clear the lair until after the shift has taken place and no further shift in the trail will take place.
I don't think that this is correct: you don't clear a Lair converted back to a hideout. This has an impact on the total number of Encounters on it.

I really miss a "Clear" and "Resolve" keyword paragraphs in the Rules Reference, to be honest.
Yes you're right, that's not clearing a lair as you say.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Cardona
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if a hideout with no encounters slides off Dracula can still make it a lair?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Omarc55 wrote:
So if a hideout with no encounters slides off Dracula can still make it a lair?
Yes, because you add an encounter to it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Cardona
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Even though we played "wrong" it was still a very close game. I as Dracula never made any lairs cause whenever I ambushed or the searched and discarded the encounters we would clear the spaces and slide the cards to the left. Made it harder to mature or get my power card too. Ill try as written and see which I prefer
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls