Subject: Can Concentration power itself? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Can you play "Concentration" and take a green mana and then use that to active the powered up ability on the "Concentration" card? Or do you need to have the mana available before you play it?

Example
• I take a red mana cube from the source
• I play Concentration.
• I take a green mana token (as per weak effect of the card)
• I then place that green mana token on concentration to active the strong effect as well.

Is that legal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I am quite new to the game myself, I am pretty sure the answer is no.

You can either play a card for its basic or its strong effect.
You can not play the same card first for its basic effect and then additionally use its strong effect.

Rulebook, pg. 4 "Deed Cards"
Quote:

An Action card (Basic or Advanced) can be played to
provide its basic effect, or it can be powered by one mana of
the depicted color to provide its strong effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
I'm pretty sure that is correct.. you need to pay all costs to pay it.. so before it hits the table.

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TragicTheBlathering wrote:
I'm pretty sure that is correct.. you need to pay all costs to pay it.. so before it hits the table.
Not only that is the problem.
What you described is using both effects on the card.
This is not possible, even if you would have had the mana required.
Every time you play a deed card for its effect you have to choose between the basic and the strong effect. You can not play a deed card to get both effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
what really? I thought it was an added effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what really? I thought it was an added effect?
No, the or in the rules citation above is an exclusive or.
So you choose one of both, not both.

If you are struggling with the rules I highly recommend Ricky Royal's videos to get a feel for them. They helped me a lot. Because I still think that the rulebook is not the clearest/best out there. But once you get a feel for the rules the learning process is faster and more rewarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
I've actually played it tons of time, but this is first time in about 2 years... just forgot about that bit! lol

No hate to Ricky, I am pretty good friends with him, but I can not learn from videos. They put me to sleep, I just can not seam to concentrate on them. I much prefer manuals and asking questions on the forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No hate to Ricky, I am pretty good friends with him, but I can not learn from videos. They put me to sleep, I just can not seam to concentrate on them. I much prefer manuals and asking questions on the forum.
Nothing wrong about that. Everybody learns differently.
I like Rickies slow and easy to follow walkthroughs to get a grasp on the rules. But to interest me in a game I like Rahdo's videos more because he delivers more excitement.
Have fun playing this gem again after 2 years!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Mâcon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't get a green mana token with concentration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
your correct... I didn't have the card in front of me when I asked.. the question was more about the order effects resolve on the cards.. but as it turns out you only activate 1 of the effects so there is no "order".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can do it if you previously used mind steal spell and stole a concentration card from another player. Then you spend a green mana from the source on your concentration card to use the stronger effect of the other concentration card, which uses the stronger effect of another action card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Cycling fanMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: World of Warcraft fanMicrobadge: Rainbow
HealingAura wrote:
I think you can do it if you previously used mind steal spell and stole a concentration card from another player. Then you spend a green mana from the source on your concentration card to use the stronger effect of the other concentration card, which uses the stronger effect of another action card.
That would be unnecessarily redundant, as you gain nothing from using the intermediate Concentration as opposed to just powering the last action card directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
HealingAura wrote:
That would be unnecessarily redundant, as you gain nothing from using the intermediate Concentration as opposed to just powering the last action card directly.
So let's say there is no green mana available. What if you stole Goldyx's version of Concentration (Will Focus), which does get you a green crystal, then used that green crystal to power your own Concentration? Frankly, I think this needs to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you play "Concentration" and take a green mana and then use that to active the powered up ability on the "Concentration" card? Or do you need to have the mana available before you play it?

Example
• I take a red mana cube from the source
• I play Concentration.
• I take a green mana token (as per weak effect of the card)
• I then place that green mana token on concentration to active the strong effect as well.

Is that legal?
Short answer: no, because after you play "Concentration", it's no longer in your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
HealingAura wrote:
Wrong. For example, you use a green mana die to power up your Concentration, in order to play the stronger effect of the Concentration card that you stole, which powers up Fire Bolt for a total of Ranged Fire Attack 7.My mistake. The Attack is from the Fire Bolt and not from the Concentration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HealingAura wrote:
Trevin wrote:
HealingAura wrote:
Wrong. For example, you use a green mana die to power up your Concentration, in order to play the stronger effect of the Concentration card that you stole, which powers up Fire Bolt for a total of Ranged Fire Attack 7.
That's incorrect, the second concentration doesn't give attack so the first concentration doesn't increase it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls