5 Posts

Camel Up» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Camel Up - Review from "How does it play with two?" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason C
msg tools
mb
For a few additional details, visit "How Does it Play with Two?" a website dedicated to two player board game experiences.

caravan

Gameplay Flow
Camel Up is a gaming where you are trying to win the most money by betting on a camel's position during a race.

On a player's turn, he or she will choose one of four different actions:
- Roll a camel's movement die
- Bet on how a camel will finish a leg a race
- Bet on which camel will come in first or last in the overall race
- Add a tile to the game board that will alter the movement of any camels that land in that space

Each camel will have the opportunity to move once per leg and once a leg has been completed, players will look at the current position of the camels and distribute any money earned at that point in time. This process repeats until one camel crosses the finish line.

The catch to the game is all about how the camels move. When a camel lands on a space occupied by another camel, the camels will hop on each other.
mintcamel
orangecamel
The closer a camel is to the top of the stack, the closer it is to first place. When camels move, they always carry any other camels on above them while moving forward.

Thoughts and Opinions

I think some people will wonder why I even bother to give my thoughts and opinions about a game that in some people’s minds is obviously not an ideal game to play with only two players. I still want to provide viewpoints to add to the resources players have so that they can make best decision possible when planning a new purchase.

There’s no shortage of light two player board and card games so Camel Up has a lot to compete with to gain your money and shelf space. Unfortunately Camel Up isn’t exactly a cheap game. You’re looking at paying $30-40 USD for the base game and it’s gets tough to justify that price if you’re only playing with two players.

Even though much of the game is based on dice rolls, you will find many moments where your analytical mind might step in and start to maximize your decisions. Due to the fact that each camel can move only once per leg and up to three spaces, some players may be tempted to count out spaces and think through theoretical moves to maximize profit. Once someone realizes how a leg is going to finish playing out, then it just becomes a dash for the best leg betting tokens available and anything else you can milk out for more money. That’s about the extend of strategy that this game provides, but I would argue that if that’s how you approach this game, you will find very little value and fun.

Before deciding to purchase Camel Up, ask yourself these questions:

- Do you have occasions where you get to play board games with more than two people?
- Are looking for a game to introduce to new board gamers?
- Are you looking for a very light, easy to learn game with a silly theme and little to no strategy?

If you say yes to all of these questions, then there may be value for you in Camel Up. The game isn’t a complete disaster with two players, but you’ll lose out on the social interaction that this game promotes. There’s still some fun to be had cheering on your camel and making wild bets, but in the end, there are plenty of other light games fighting for your attention.

I still have this game in my collection because on occasion I do get to play with some friends who are not really board gamers, but they really enjoy this theme and how simple the game is. The game is easy to teach and the iconography is clean and straightforward. However, for me and my gaming partner, we rarely break this game out if we are just wanting to play a game together.

caravan

I hope that my thoughts and opinions provide you some additional resources when deciding if a game is right for you and your gaming partner.

Happy Gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Derenne
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks! That was really helpful, I just bought myself a copy and although I'll probably never play it with my girlfriend, it'll certainly hit the table often with some groups I know.

Just for the sake of knowledge, what other games do you think have the same depth as Camel Up but better suited for two?

The first that comes to my mind is Patchwork!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
msg tools
mb
derenne wrote:
Thanks! That was really helpful, I just bought myself a copy and although I'll probably never play it with my girlfriend, it'll certainly hit the table often with some groups I know.

Just for the sake of knowledge, what other games do you think have the same depth as Camel Up but better suited for two?

The first that comes to my mind is Patchwork!
I think Patchwork is definitely a great option! I just had a discussion today with some awesome users here on BGG about how deceptively simple Patchwork is and how much depth and strategy can be unlocked with multiple play sessions.

You can see the review and discussion here.

What other games do you and your girlfriend play together?

A few games that I enjoy that are simple to learn are: Jaipur, Asante, Splendor, and Carcassonne. None of these games really have that bidding aspect of Camel Up though, so if you are drawn to that aspect, I'm not really sure what alternative would work well with two players. My apologies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Derenne
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gamingmosaic wrote:

What other games do you and your girlfriend play together?

She usually likes games with more people, when there is just us two she tends to think to much and not enjoying the game as she'd like to. She has a very competitive nature, when there are more people we tend to play party games that make her feel less competitive.

But we do play 2-player games and, besides Patchwork, I'd say Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small (+ More Buildings Big and Small expansion) is a really hit with us. I just bought Mr. Jack as she said she really enjoyed Clue whe she was a kid. We also play Carcassonne from once in a while.

On the more heavy specter, we also play Glass Road and Puerto Rico!

I don't know Asante, but really am looking forward to get my hands on Jaipur and Splendor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris
msg tools
I would recommend Expedition Northwest Passage as it is like Carcassonne and a racing game had a beautiful baby. My wife and I LOVE it, and I cannot wait to play it with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls