Eloi Parlade
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
We've been wondering about how should wolves and poison oak work at late game:

Wolves and poison oak take effect at the end of their owner's turn, but if the owner is out of movements and no longer playing, do they keep affecting the rest of the game?

The player is out of the game so we consider they shouldn't.. Could some light be brought over this?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cannon
msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
Player's turns continue to begin and end even after they have declared they have no possible moves. Therefore end game triggers do come into effect.

All pieces that have effects after established (Oak, Wolf, Poison Oak, of course Cactus) continue to function throughout the game.

In some cases, a player will be unable to make a move, then someone will sparrow Towns adjacent to that player's Oak and the player will then be able to continue making turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifford Jones
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about after no players can move any more. For example, if I am the last person who can make a legal move, and I place a fly on the wasteland next to one of my opponents' two wolves, will that fly be counted in scoring. My thinking is that since I take the last turn, my opponent won't have a chance to take another turn and therefore his or her wolves won't activate to flip my fly over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cannon
msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
The text of the rule book sets the endgame condition as "When no players can make legal moves." In light of the proposed game scenario, the game would end as soon as the player places his last piece.

Does the active player's turn end though, triggering his own wolves?

What if someone has been holding out and skipping turns (as allowed under "Continuation of Play")?

There's no clause that says that turns are skipped.

It seems like this wording is problematic for the cases this thread brings up. I'll flag it as a target for rewriting in future editions of the game.

For now, Errata for clarity: "At the end of any player's turn, that player can declare that they suspect the game is over. If they can make a reasonable statement that no one else can make a play, and others agree, the game ends after the end of that player's turn. If a player claims that they can make a play, note the board state. Play continues normally until that player does on their next turn. If they don't or can't, the game reverses and ends on the turn of the player originally claiming that it was over."

This is obviously problematic text, as it is messy and provides memory issues. I think it captures, though, the way people typically play and the way the pieces were intended. Hopefully no one includes this in their teaching unless they find the problem you identified and look here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls