Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
Haven't done this is a while so let's go. I always enjoy hearing here what's on the mind of fans for other teams. Are things going as you thought or are you ready for the torture to end?

1: Colin Kaepernick has been benched in favor of Blaine Gabbert. Aside from the humiliation of getting the hook in favor of a guy named Blaine I think the folks who think this is a good idea are in for a surprise on Sunday. The truth is Kaepernick is not a top tier QB. He had a gimmick that Harbaugh knew how to use effectively. On the flip side, he's not a bad quarterback. He's a quarterback a team can win with. He's the epitome of the old adage though that the QB gets to much credit when a team wins and to much blame when a team loses.

2: My Vikings may have the best rookie class of the year. 5 of their rookies are seeing significant playing time including 3 of them who are starters.

3: Looks like it's house cleaning time in Detroit. The GM and team President both just got the axe. What do you think are the odds that head coach Jim Caldwell is retained when the season is over? I understand teams go through bad times. Some longer than others. But this is like the old Soviet 5 year plans. Every 3 years they put the people in charge up against the wall and start over again.

4: At this point there are 2 coaching spots open. Tennessee and Miami. Detroit will fire Jim Caldwell about 30 seconds after the season is over so that's 3. In Indianapolis Chuck Pagano is gone at the end of the year if he and the GM don't decide to draw pistols and shoot each other in a duel first. So that's a definite 4 head coaching spots open. Then we have San Diego, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Jacksonville and Dallas who all have coaches on the hot seat. So we're talking 6 or 7 teams looking for a new head coach at season's end. Combine that with the 7 new coaches from last season's head coach bloodbath and basically you'll have had almost half the NFL teams getting new head coaches the last 2 years. That's a lot even by NFL standards.

5: My first half MVP is Aaron Rogers. Defensive MVP is JJ Watt (yes again). My rookie of the year is Todd Gurley and coach of the year is Mike Zimmer (Go Vikings!).

6: Tuesday I may have been the only human being within 3 miles of my home. I didn't go to the Kansas City Royals victory parade. 800,000 of my neighbors did. I think tonight 300,000 of them are still stuck in traffic coming out of downtown.

External image

7: My biggest surprise team are the Broncos. The offense has been as bad as I feared (which is why I picked them to go 6-10 for the season). Their defense has been incredible though and carried the team and then some. I still think it's time for Manning to retire at season's end. Father Time has come to collect and there is a gold jacket in Canton waiting for him.

The Chargers are my "I'm surprised at how much they suck" team. I had them as a wild card team behind the division winning Chiefs who come in second for this honor. The Chiefs are an example of it doesn't matter how good your head coach is if your offensive line sucks like a black hole.

8: Not sure if Texas or Cleveland has the worse quarterbacks. Had a conversation at my game night tonight about these two teams and their QB situations. It's not pretty if you're a fan of either team. What makes it especially bad for both teams is either could have had Teddy Bridgewater. Cleveland had first shot. They took Johnny Manziel instead of Bridgewater. Ok, a lot of people had Manzeil rated as a 1st round pick. At least Cleveland went for a quarterback which they needed. Texas doesn't have that excuse.

Texas meanwhile was at pick 33 (first pick in the 2nd round) round when Seattle was on the clock at pick 32. The Vikings offered Seattle their 4th round pick to move up 8 spots from 40 to 32. Seattle wanted to trade down to get some more mid round picks and did contact the Texans but the Texans passed. The Vikings got Bridgewater and Texans got a guard named Xavier Su'a-Filo who is already being called one of the biggest draft busts in Houston Texans' history.

By the way, Tampa Bay was also after that same 32nd pick. They also wanted Teddy Bridgewater. They however had traded away their 4th round pick the year before as part of the trade for Darrelle Revis.

9; The Jets might be 3rd on that bad QBs list which makes their 4-3 record that much more impressive. Looking at their schedule it includes teams like Jacksonville, Houston, Dallas and Tennessee. Even halfway decent QB play should be enough with opponents like that for them to be a wild card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
Microbadge: Loves to cookMicrobadge: MeditatorMicrobadge: Nespresso fanMicrobadge: The multiverse!  Fan of theoretical physics I don't understandMicrobadge: Stanley Kubrick fan
Here in Houston we're excited for a first place team with a 3-5 record. (not) We're Number 1! We're Number 1! We're Number 1!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
The thing was at the beginning of the season it was the NFC South that was suppose to be worst division on football. That division instead is a combined 20-10 with likely two playoff teams coming out of it. The AFC South meanwhile is a combined 9-21.

7-9 likely wins that division. On the flip side I remember when Seattle won the NFC West with a 7-9 record. People said they didn't belong in the playoffs. They went on to beat the Saints in the wild card game.

Just remember the old joke. You don't have to outrun the lion. You just have to outrun the other guy. If the best the other guy can do is 6-10 then so be it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
Microbadge: Gustav Mahler fanMicrobadge: Khalil Gibran fanMicrobadge: Caspar David Friedrich fanMicrobadge: Albert EinsteinMicrobadge: Arthur Schopenhauer
A great summary Brian.
As for my Steelers, well it seems like Ben and Bell spent a total of about 20 minutes together on the field this season, between suspensions and injuries. Last year when Bell went out the offence stalled. I do like DeAngelo Williams and he looked good in the opening two games but can he carry the workload for the rest of the season?

And now we're chasing the 8-0 Bengals who had a good win last night against the annual basement dwellers. Are the Bengals for real? Check back in January.

Peyton does retire at the end of the season, I think that much is obvious to everyone. Pity, I'd rather see him than Brady "for another ten years".

The coaching carousel will be interesting this year because it does seem like a number of guys are already on their last chance. I know the Eagles haven't performed, particularly the offence but I would be kinda surprised if Chip gets the boot. Likewise with Jason Garrett, he seems to be the 'Jerry Whisperer' though I think a change might do them good. Though I wish Jerry Jones would fire himself and let the team get on it!

And lastly the Panthers, the only unbeaten team in the NFC half way through the season. Who called that one back in August? This weeks game against the Packers will be the true yardstick of where they are but the rest of their schedule looks pretty good and they must have one eye on homefield advantage if they can keep it together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Microbadge: World in Flames fanMicrobadge: I edit my posts in the quest for perfetcion.Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Svengoolie fanMicrobadge: Hyperbole is, without question, the single greatest thing in the entire universe!
Bengals are 8-0.

I'm waiting for something very bad to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Code MonkeyMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: City of Heroes fanMicrobadge: I Love Gaming with My GirlFriend!!!
I have zero faith in the Lions in getting adequate replacements. Earlier in the season I went and grabbed the records for team with owners ages 85+. Their winning percentage was around .333.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I honestly thought going into this season the AFC was the weaker conference. Now however we have the Broncos, Bengals and Patriots undefeated halfway through the season.

I feel sorry for the folks who have to try and promote this monday night's game. Bears vs Chargers. 2-5 vs 2-6. Control your excitement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Microbadge: Fan of Ant-ManMicrobadge: Iron Man fanMicrobadge: Captain America fanMicrobadge: Hulk fanMicrobadge: Guardians of the Galaxy fan - Rocket
mrbeankc wrote:
3: Looks like it's house cleaning time in Detroit. The GM and team President both just got the axe. What do you think are the odds that head coach Jim Caldwell is retained when the season is over? I understand teams go through bad times. Some longer than others. But this is like the old Soviet 5 year plans. Every 3 years they put the people in charge up against the wall and start over again.
External image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
Microbadge: I build Crokinole boardsMicrobadge: I made my own gaming tableMicrobadge: I make wooden gamesMicrobadge: I love my gaming tableMicrobadge: I have a Game Room
Blott wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:
External image
You guys really got screwed in Seattle. And you've been close in a lot of games, right? (I know it's not much consolation, but still...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Microbadge: Fan of Ant-ManMicrobadge: Iron Man fanMicrobadge: Captain America fanMicrobadge: Hulk fanMicrobadge: Guardians of the Galaxy fan - Rocket
LennyS wrote:
Blott wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:
External image
You guys really got screwed in Seattle. And you've been close in a lot of games, right? (I know it's not much consolation, but still...)
Meh, they've been close for decades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
Microbadge: Serta Sheep fanMicrobadge: Fan of MasksMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Burgers of July 2019 - first year!Microbadge: 3M Bookshelf Games fan
mrbeankc wrote:
Haven't done this is a while so let's go. I always enjoy hearing here what's on the mind of fans for other teams. Are things going as you thought or are you ready for the torture to end?

1: Colin Kaepernick has been benched in favor of Blaine Gabbert. Aside from the humiliation of getting the hook in favor of a guy named Blaine...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
Microbadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: TurtleCON Attendee
mrbeankc wrote:
2: My Vikings may have the best rookie class of the year. 5 of their rookies are seeing significant playing time including 3 of them who are starters.
Does that mean the rookies are really good, or that the Vikings were really bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:
Does that mean the rookies are really good, or that the Vikings were really bad?
They're really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Edmonsds
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Jaws fan Microbadge: I have a nemesisMicrobadge: Animorphs fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!
A few thoughts in rejoinder:

1) Lions are terrible. So terrible. But hey, we beat Chicago! I saw a stat the other day - maybe it was from Bill Simmons? - that every Lions head coach since 1957 (minus an interim guy) was never a head coach in the NFL again. That's gotta be hard to do.

2) It's Brady over Rodgers right now for MVP and I don't think it's particularly close. Is there any reason we shouldn't pencil in the Patriots for the Superbowl right now? Who's going to stop them in the AFC - cold Peyton?

3) Somehow the stupid Seahawks are still going to win their division.

4) I'm really excited for the annual Andy Dalton first round playoff loss. We saw a bit of that in action last week. Sorry in advance if you're a Bengals fan. I'm a Lions fan, remember, so I only get joy in the context of other's misery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Member of The Eastern Pennsylvania Gaming SocietyMicrobadge: Golden GeeklisterMicrobadge: Transformers fanMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Math Geek
So, can 6-10 take the AFC South title?

(If that happens, the team that 'wins' that division should graciously bow out to a 3rd WC team.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls