Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone out there found a decent, plain, cheap, clear plastic case that can fit sleeved cards for games like Twilight Struggle, Churchill, Empire of the Sun, etc? I am thinking about something like this. I am using the Ultra Pro Deck Protector Standard sized sleeves.

I have scoured Amazon and my FLGSs but it seems most of the cases are not built to fit sleeved cards. I don't really want to buy "deck boxes" for MTG or other CGGs, as I don't think these will fit within the inserts of these board games. Not especially interested in downloading tuckboxes either. I'm just looking for something basic that will fit in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugo's Amazing Tape works perfectly for holding sleeved cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Notodden
Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
I game...
badge
...and I'm a gnome.
Microbadge: Oceans fanMicrobadge: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice fanMicrobadge: Raids fanMicrobadge: Is. Leave. Possible.Microbadge: Euphoria: Ignorance Is Bliss fan
I swear by this: http://www.cpforbes.net/tuckbox/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
I have a slight preference for this. I use it for cards, game box lids that have a tendency to come adrift, all sorts. It's amazingly cost-effective as there's a huge amount of tape on one roll. And it's a great conversation starter at game sessions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
From yesterday (or was it before that?) (ok, it was Tuesday)
How to store sleeved cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shalom Craimer
Israel
Givat Zeev
(Near Jerusalem)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
mccrispy wrote:
zombiegod wrote:
I have a slight preference for this. I use it for cards, game box lids that have a tendency to come adrift, all sorts. It's amazingly cost-effective as there's a huge amount of tape on one roll. And it's a great conversation starter at game sessions
OMG. If this works well, it's a great solution. Way cheaper than Hugo's amazing tape. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Callan Finn
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Why would you name yourself after a car security device?
badge
i herly berly on gerly werly!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
zombiegod wrote:
Great. And I just stopped getting those targeted "wedding dress" advertisements on facebook for reading that online article about engagement parties a couple of months ago.

*sigh*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scraimer wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
zombiegod wrote:
OMG. If this works well, it's a great solution. Way cheaper than Hugo's amazing tape. Thanks!
No problem. And yes, it does work well. It's thinner than Hugo's, which has some advantages. Though you need to be a little careful stacking multiple "bound" packages together as it does behave as described on the tin "sticks to itself, not to you", so don't expect to slide games off your shelf if adjacent games have a piece of tape holding their lids on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Demski
Canada
Stony Mountain
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also use bondage tape, as Hugo's Amazing Tape is not sold here in Canada, and is very expensive to buy online. The only downside is that bondage tape is usually very wide (the roll I have is 2"), so I have to cut each strip into four pieces to give an appropriate size for binding cards (1/2" is perfect). So while this can be a little time consuming, it does make the tape last longer, and you get quite a bit in a roll. It's the exact same stuff as Hugo's, and comes in different colours (if that interests you that is).

I will say that for the nice/expensive games that I take the time to sleeve, I will usually make a tuckbox to hold the cards to bling out my game. There are many designs available for free in the 'Files' section of many BGG listings, and they aren't that complicated to construct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JurassicMatt wrote:
I also use bondage tape, as Hugo's Amazing Tape is not sold here in Canada, and is very expensive to buy online. The only downside is that bondage tape is usually very wide (the roll I have is 2"), so I have to cut each strip into four pieces to give an appropriate size for binding cards (1/2" is perfect). So while this can be a little time consuming, it does make the tape last longer, and you get quite a bit in a roll. It's the exact same stuff as Hugo's, and comes in different colours (if that interests you that is).

I will say that for the nice/expensive games that I take the time to sleeve, I will usually make a tuckbox to hold the cards to bling out my game. There are many designs available for free in the 'Files' section of many BGG listings, and they aren't that complicated to construct.
You had to go and use the 'b' word! And there I was carefully skirting around it for discretion's sake

I don't cut my tape into narrow strips at all - but then I don't use it on the smaller cards anyway. As to being the same stuff as Hugo's: granted, it's a similar material, but it seems thinner and not quite as stiff (if I can use the word in this context). See what you've done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

I will probably just take an afternoon and make some tuckboxes. Having a roll of bondage tape laying round might raise some questions and eyebrows...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
badge
fghfghfg
mbmbmbmbmb
A question for the guys using Hugo's tape: I tried it (1/2" size) and it damages the sleeves on the cards in the edges of the stack - these sleeves gets a strong deformation around the contact surface.

Do you have the same experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
regex wrote:
A question for the guys using Hugo's tape: I tried it (1/2" size) and it damages the sleeves on the cards in the edges of the stack - these sleeves gets a strong deformation around the contact surface.

Do you have the same experience?
I don't use Hugo's I use a wider (2") product (references up the page a little) and I don't apply so much pressure that I have to kneel on the deck to strap it in. Errr... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gio palumbo
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
just drop the sleeved cards in a baggies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnypalumbo wrote:
Never happy with baggies for sleeved cards myself, the sharp corners of the sleeves always seem to cause me trouble and if the baggy is big enough to avoid that problem, then the size of the baggy becomes the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clublock wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
zombiegod wrote:
Great. And I just stopped getting those targeted "wedding dress" advertisements on facebook for reading that online article about engagement parties a couple of months ago.

*sigh*
Even greater, I'm clicking on the link with my wife passing by...shake (i.e. it's bondage tape)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnypalumbo wrote:
That be proper etiquette in Canada but the rest of North America is more civilized than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls