Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: anyone else NOT painting the minis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Carter
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb

As a gamer rather than someone who is in any way into art (i have two left thumbs etc), I have zero interest in "painting up" my KD minis (and would ruin them anyway).. So I was surprised that the rulebook would baldly state that customizing and painting the miniatures was "an important component" of the game...

am i the only one who thinks the miniatures look fine just as they are - and that painting is a waste of time that could be spent on actually playing the game?

I appreciate that Kingdom Death is at the crossroads between miniatures fetishising and board gaming - only, actually, it isn't, because under the hood it is 100 per cent a board game (if anything leaning more towards pen and paper RPG than WH40K etc)...

Am I missing out? And is there an idiot proof way of sort of kind of sprucing up the minis without actually having to paint them? I see some people have given them a monochrome effect - can you do this quickly and with zero risk of ruining the miniatures (surely there is nothing worse than badly painted minis etc etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
I have to thank Kingdom Death: Monster for finally knowing the exact number of penises I can tolerate in a miniature (surprisingly, that number is not zero)
badge
We used to call the Prodigal Sorcerer "the antiaesthetic one" when we played MtG in 1995. I still think this is the better definition.
mbmbmbmbmb
No really, if you are unable to give them some sort of 3d shape with painting (very basic drybrushing and washing), don't paint them.

The miniatures are fine unpainted, they will become hideous if you just paint them flat. You can leave them as they are and not feel bad for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
I have to thank Kingdom Death: Monster for finally knowing the exact number of penises I can tolerate in a miniature (surprisingly, that number is not zero)
badge
We used to call the Prodigal Sorcerer "the antiaesthetic one" when we played MtG in 1995. I still think this is the better definition.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that being said, I WILL paint them, but it's an entirely different league

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm not painting my KD:M miniatures because I don't have enough time and I have hundreds of miniatures to paint. gulp
If you don't paint them, you won't have a horrible experience out of the game.
However, having painted miniatures makes them always more agreeable to see.
For a quick painted effect you can use a spray of primer paint (Citadel or Army Painter have a few). I would recommend a light color (whiteish).
Then you can use an ink to 'darken' them and make all features on the miniature stand out more.
You can use a Citadel ink and apply it with a brush or you can use the dip method used by Army Painter.
A black ink would be enough to make the miniatures darker and make all the features pop out.
But you can use another colour if you want the miniatures to have a different tint.
If you don't use any varnish on them, you can later apply other colours on top to change their look.
If you have any other plastic miniature at home, you could first experiment with them to see the overall effect and if you like it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You could play this game with paper cutouts off of your printer and it would still function the exact same way. You just need some way to distinguish between survivors, monsters, and terrain. If you look at the prototype Poots had setup for the Nightmare Ram expansion from a bit ago he was almost doing exactly that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Resident Evil fanMicrobadge: Mansions of Madness: Second Edition fanMicrobadge: Dark Souls: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Hellboy: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game fan
I suck badly at painting flesh tone nicely and since the majority of KD:M is that I thought about just a simple black coat and drybrushing copper or silver to make the pieces look like they are pewter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gardner
United States
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple strategy that will make the details show nicely is to first base coat in a light color. You can cheat and use spray paint. Then, apply a wash of a darker color. Dark brown works well...black or dark green. A simple wash can consist of very dilute paint. It helps to have something in it to break the surface tension...drop of dish soap in a cup of water will work. Then use that water to dilute your paint. There's better wash recipes out there, just google it. Then spray with a sealer like Testor's dull coat or some brush on acrylic varnish. Low effort with a very nice result. I did this for my Battle Lore minis and they came out great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've never painted a mini so I didn't want to start here. I do agree with the general sentiment that basic would be better. I really like the black/white look that a few folks have done and would love a tutorial on how to do it (some good ideas are already in this thread).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of mine are unpainted. I think I like the really grey and bleached look some other people did - prime, base coat, maybe 1-2 other colours, then a wash. That minimalist look is both very easy and still should allow most of the detail to remain.

Minis that I think I can do - starting survivors, lion, antelope. After that I'm either going to have to just practice with starting survivors or just say screw it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
I floop the pig!
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think mine look great as is. I'm convinced any attempt by me to paint them will only result in losing some of the detail. So mine will stay as is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no intention of painting mine anytime soon. I think the detail is still pretty amazing even without paint. I have 0 faith in my ability to do anything but #*$% up my minis if I attempted paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vu
msg tools
I'm of the undoubtedly rare opionion that minis should never be played unpainted. Any attempt at painting is better than grey plastic blobs.

I wouldn't be afraid of ruining the minis with painting. You are far more likely to permanently ruin a miniature during assembly. Acrylic paint is not that permanent to begin with, so if you don't like your results, strip them. You can strip and repaint miniatures over and over and over. If done corretcly there will be no noticeable damage or loss of detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elderbot wrote:
I'm of the undoubtedly rare opionion that minis should never be played unpainted. Any attempt at painting is better than grey plastic blobs.

I wouldn't be afraid of ruining the minis with painting. You are far more likely to permanently ruin a miniature during assembly. Acrylic paint is not that permanent to begin with, so if you don't like your results, strip them. You can strip and repaint miniatures over and over and over. If done corretcly there will be no noticeable damage or loss of detail.
I think it falls into something similar to Lovecraftian horror, the unpainted minis offer an opportunity for the imagination to fill in a lot of details and for you to envision what they look like vs you defining that the antelope is beige with a blue tongue. It's why I think im going to just get them primed, a pretty neutral base coat, and stop at a wash to highlight details but allow people to envision their own colours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
I think mine look great as is. I'm convinced any attempt by me to paint them will only result in losing some of the detail. So mine will stay as is!
Yeah, mine will go unpainted, too. If I painted them, it would be on the same skill level as my 2 year old's art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Oh yeah?!
For what I know, it's either the chemicals that will eventually ruin your minis or the scrubbing that will scratch the details.

The most I was I able to repaint a mini is 2 times.
After that, the damages were visible.

If you have a tutorial or some explanations on how to strip/repaint a plastic mini over and over without damaging it, that would be excellent.

If that happens to be true, there would be absolutely NO REASON not to try and paint them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Unpainted all the way. Everytime someone posts their painted versions. I cringe. Few exceptions of disgustingly meticulous professional works(which I have no monkeys chance in hell of doing) I find grey allows for filling in rest players perception. Seeing as most characters are player made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vu
msg tools
I stripped my Butcher 3 times with no damage. I've stripped a bunch of these monsters after a false start without problems.

I put Simple Green in a mason jar. Straight or 50% diluted.
Place minis in the jar.
Every so often give the jar a swirl.
Check the minis after 3-4 hours and give them a quick rinse and a very light scrub with a soft toothbrush. Put them back in. I repeat this again in another 3-4 hours, unless I'm sleeping then I just let them sit.
Depending on paint thickness, age, and varnish, they'll usually be done in 8-24 hours.

I've left GW plastics in for 3 days without any loss of detail. Metals are a different story because the metal eventually corrodes, but it takes a lot longer than stripping. I left some PP metal figs in for 2 weeks and there was some minor loss of detail after scrubbing, but not enough to not bother trying to paint them.

My guess is that every time you slough off the paint that comes off easily you're allowing better access for the degreaser to do the work without a lot of scrubbing.

The easiest, best way is to use an ultrasonic cleaner. It's faster (30 mins tops), they get cleaner, you can dilute more, and there's no manual scrubbing. My machine broke recently.

The miniatures material and the choice of solvent are the two biggest factors. I haven't tested other solvents with these figures yet, but from experience I can say that the KD hard plastics are completely free from damage by Simple Green in less than 36 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dash T
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am too afraid to paint. Just ganna leave they as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmb
These minis can definitely be left unpainted. I'm building, filling gaps and then two tone undercoating them. I'll paint them in a year or two, until then they'll look pretty cool. The whole black and white / muted colours vibe lends itself nicely. If all the prospers and board pieces were primary colours they'd look odd left grey, as it is, totally fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sion Zris
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
You could just have them painted by someone who likes to do this or even pay someone to do it. A cheap way would be to have them spray painted at a car shop (1 color only i guess), just make sure they know what they are doing.
You can take a look at mine, I did that (myself though but it shouldn't be expensive).
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1468103/paint-job-my-miniat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KemKat K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do something similar to the miniature pictured in this post. Just spray prime and dip wash. This will bring out the excellent details of the miniatures without being horrible time consuming or requiring any artistic skill.

Playing with unpainted will not diminish your game experience at all.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1467827/stylized-painting-so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmb
Two tone spray (spray grey on the underside of the model, then a white on the top side - creating artificial light and shadow) and a little lick of paint got my storm knight here. Much better than flat grey and fairly effortless. This is a work in progress, struggling to find time to paint at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
Microbadge: ShamanismMicrobadge: I drop the F-bombMicrobadge: Mark of the DamnedMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Neon Genesis Evangelion fan
Rusty - that's pretty sick, as is… I'm going to need to try something like this for my figures eventually… I mean, what's the purpose of all of those bonus minis, if not for experimentation, anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm going to paint mine eventually when I have time. I'm not a fantastic painter but I am pretty decent after playing warhammer for years. Just very slow!

If you leave grey, no problem really. Like you say they are still really really nice miniatures. As a few others have said though, if you don't want to put time and effort into painting, there are a few ways to just spray then wash which is really fast and easy plus it makes the details stand out a lot more. You then also have the option if you want of changing the colour/shade depending on the model. Maybe you make all survivors one colour and all monsters a different colour? Or give the survivors different colours so you can easily tell them apart on the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |