Dominion» Forums » Sessions

Subject: baker, king court, mascarade, university and scrying pool rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to share a my last game of dominion. I must admit that it was quite boring for my opponent and that she sadly did not read the kingdoms well because she was really tired, I would never have stealed such a victory else.

I started buying potion and then university and a mascarade (mascarade was the only trasher with doctor)
then I bought a baker, then a second then...
then instead of buying first province, I threw 2 more mascarades, a king court and 2 scrying pools.

At the end of the game, I was the owner of 8 bakers, earned 11 coin tokens per game and was able to consistently buy a province per turn (not +buy in this kingdom set sadly)

I finished with 49 coin tokens.

Now, I know I played real bad, that with a non-tired adversary such a game couldn't happen, I had quite a bit of chance to have always bad stuff to trow to her mascarades, that she should have embargoed baker (I believe it would have only slowed me).But gosh! what a pleasure to have a little mountain of coins, I felt like Smaug in Erebor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Boyle
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she had embargoed baker you could always use your universities to acquire bakers without needing to take the curse.

I'm curious to know what approach your opponent took even considering she was tired, since you ended up with 8 of the bakers. Were there any other interesting cards in the setup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised you went for potion/university. You start with a coin, due to baker in the set, so one of your first two buys should have been the baker, and then keep buying til they are gone, they are that good.

Would like to know what your other cards were in this set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so you've mentioned seven cards: Embargo, University, Scrying Pool, Doctor, Masquerade, Baker, and King's Court. As other people have said, it would be nice to know the other three cards. But here's some preliminary thoughts:

With Embargo on the board, buying a Potion is risky. Once you opened with a Potion, perhaps your opponent should've Embargoed the Universities, and later Embargoed the Scrying Pools.

I wonder if the King's Court/Masquerade pin was the way to go here. The idea: reduce your deck to 2 King's Courts, 2 whatevers (probably Bakers here), and 1 Masquerade. (Doctor will help with the trashing.) Then on each turn, you play King's Court/King's Court/whatever/whatever/Masquerade, and trash all three cards your opponent passes to you. Continue until your opponent has no deck left, then go for the win.

Thing is, with University on the board, your opponent may be able to gain cards quickly enough to counter the King's Court/Masquerade pin. Not sure if it would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrojH wrote:
Okay, so you've mentioned seven cards: Embargo, University, Scrying Pool, Doctor, Masquerade, Baker, and King's Court. As other people have said, it would be nice to know the other three cards. But here's some preliminary thoughts:

With Embargo on the board, buying a Potion is risky. Once you opened with a Potion, perhaps your opponent should've Embargoed the Universities, and later Embargoed the Scrying Pools.

I wonder if the King's Court/Masquerade pin was the way to go here. The idea: reduce your deck to 2 King's Courts, 2 whatevers (probably Bakers here), and 1 Masquerade. (Doctor will help with the trashing.) Then on each turn, you play King's Court/King's Court/whatever/whatever/Masquerade, and trash all three cards your opponent passes to you. Continue until your opponent has no deck left, then go for the win.

Thing is, with University on the board, your opponent may be able to gain cards quickly enough to counter the King's Court/Masquerade pin. Not sure if it would work.
The pin only works if there was a "discard down to 3" attack. Without that, you leave them with 2 cards in hand, and either of those cards could be a Masquerade which would just hurt you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
TrojH wrote:

The pin only works if there was a "discard down to 3" attack. Without that, you leave them with 2 cards in hand, and either of those cards could be a Masquerade which would just hurt you.
the point is they are only gaining 1 card a turn, and you are pulling 3 cards a turn from them and discarding. It doesn't matter on a specific turn you leave them with 2 cards ... eventually they will run out of cards in the long run, and with bakers you have a stack of coins to recover from and win faster than your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
TrojH wrote:

the point is they are only gaining 1 card a turn, and you are pulling 3 cards a turn from them and discarding. It doesn't matter on a specific turn you leave them with 2 cards ... eventually they will run out of cards in the long run, and with bakers you have a stack of coins to recover from and win faster than your opponent.
Well it depends on what those 2 cards are, but they could be enough to set of his engine and do all sorts of stuff including KC+Masq on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
MunchWolf wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
TrojH wrote:

Well it depends on what those 2 cards are, but they could be enough to set of his engine and do all sorts of stuff including KC+Masq on you.
If your only 5 cards are KC/KC/Baker/Baker/Masq ... and your opponent has and plays KC/Masq .. if he has no other cards, well that becomes an interesting mind game. I would probably give up all but the KC/Masq, and the game becomes a stalemate of exchanging cards (although purchasing a copper might end the stalemate .. hmmm). If he has other cards, he is giving them to you, and you are giving them back. Not sure KC/Masq is a good counter to KQ/Masq .. will need to think on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
MunchWolf wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
TrojH wrote:

If your only 5 cards are KC/KC/Baker/Baker/Masq ... and your opponent has and plays KC/Masq .. if he has no other cards, well that becomes an interesting mind game. I would probably give up all but the KC/Masq, and the game becomes a stalemate of exchanging cards (although purchasing a copper might end the stalemate .. hmmm). If he has other cards, he is giving them to you, and you are giving them back. Not sure KC/Masq is a good counter to KQ/Masq .. will need to think on it.
Overall I don't think going for KC/KC/Baker/Baker/Masq is a good strategy. It is a complicated device that will take too long to set up. The game will probably be over before it can effectively neutralize someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls