Popular Tags: [View All]
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Can you alternate between playing Apex and Evolve cards in the Hunt phase or you can only play Evolve cards during the Boost Hand phase?

For example, is this sequence legal?

- Play Evolve cards
- Play your Ambush to Hunt something in the Game Trail
- Play Evolve cards
- Play Apex cards
- Play Evolve cards (Hunt value of the previously played Apex cards is lost)
- Play Apex cards to Hunt something in the Game Trail
- Play Evolve cards

and so on...

Is the above sequence applicable also during a Boss battle?

2. Some cards instruct you to show (not play) a certain amount of Hunt value in your Ambush Point. Do Apex cards that gain a bonus when played from the Ambush point, like Acrocanthosaurus' Nocturnal Hunter, also gain that bonus for the purposes of "showing" them in the Ambush Point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paschal
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing cards from your Ambush spot has to be the FIRST card you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturm88 wrote:
Playing cards from your Ambush spot has to be the FIRST card you play.
Not true. Playing cards TO your Ambush Point has to be the first cards you play.

But that is not even my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gans
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Boofus wrote:
1. Can you alternate between playing Apex and Evolve cards in the Hunt phase or you can only play Evolve cards during the Boost Hand phase?

For example, is this sequence legal?

- Play Evolve cards
- Play your Ambush to Hunt something in the Game Trail
- Play Evolve cards
- Play Apex cards
- Play Evolve cards (Hunt value of the previously played Apex cards is lost)
- Play Apex cards to Hunt something in the Game Trail
- Play Evolve cards

and so on...
It depends on which rule set you're using. If you are using the Exotic Predators Kickstarter rules or the Exotic Predators "retail rules" (i.e., the two sets of old rules) then you can play all cards from your ambush point whenever you wish and add Apex cards from your hand to them.

For example, you could play Apex cards from your hand to hunt one card on the Game Trail, then play some evolve cards and then play all your ambush point cards plus play 0 or more Apex cards from your hand to do another hunt, and so on.

If you're using the new rules, then you must choose for each hunt whether you want to use all Apex cards in your ambush point -OR- (1 or more) Apex cards from your hand -- you can't mix them. You do not have to play the Ambush cards first.

Typically there is little reason to hold back playing all your evolve cards up front to boost all Apex cards played throughout the round - unless you are worried that you'll draw an alert or nasty affliction card. As you say, once you play an evolve card, it erases all accumulated Hunt Value points, which is why it is usually best to play them all first and then do 1 or more hunts.

Doofus wrote:
Is the above sequence applicable also during a Boss battle?
In a boss bout, play evolve cards you wish up front, then:
Old rules: Optionally play all cards from your ambush point (you can choose which bout - if any- you want to use your cards in the ambush point) then play all Apex cards from your hand to generate a Hunt Value total against the boss (you can play non-Apex cards to wipe out the Hunt value and force a loss afterwards if you wish).
New Rules: Play zero or more cards from your ambush point (you need not play them all) and play all Apex cards from your hand to generate a Hunt Value total against the boss (you cannot later play non-Apex cards to wipe out accumulated Hunt Value).

Boofus wrote:
2. Some cards instruct you to show (not play) a certain amount of Hunt value in your Ambush Point. Do Apex cards that gain a bonus when played from the Ambush point, like Acrocanthosaurus' Nocturnal Hunter, also gain that bonus for the purposes of "showing" them in the Ambush Point?
I believe cards shown in the ambush point take on any bonuses as if they were just played. At least that is how I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much Ray for taking the time to answer my questions. Here's some .

I have the Exotic Predators retail version, so I play by that rulebook. Would you sugggest migrating to the new set of rules with my copy?

This game has really blown me away. I play Hard mode solo and it is quite demanding and hence quite rewarding for deckbuilder. Theme comes out too. In short, I love it but the rules and some cards really needed more polishing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Herschel,
should I implement any changes to the cards also (erratas and the like); And if so, is there any place where I can find a list of the changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aras Chi
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Base Game Set Card Changes (derived from the Print and Play cards released on August 11, 2015)
New Base Game Set Card Changes :

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1423550/new-base-game-set-ca...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks!

Trying to implement the changes I noticed that aside from Sarcosuchus and Quetzalcoatlus, there are also Big Game, Titan, Predator and Boss cards marked as "removed from game".

Is there a reason for that, besides not making it to the new edition? I mean was there something wrong with those mechanically so they had to be left out or there just wasn't enough "room" for them to be in the new box? Should I keep those in my games or remove them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. "Ponder" Rummy
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
"there are many ways you can pay your rent, but that’s not really who you are, and the rest of the time you can polish a little part of your mind until it’s bright enough for someone else to notice." - Jerry Holkins
Microbadge: Iron Rail 1 - Irish Gauge fanMicrobadge: Tramways Engineer's Notebook Volume 1 fanMicrobadge: Marcus Aurelius fanMicrobadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Arboretum fan
Boofus wrote:
Trying to implement the changes I noticed that aside from Sarcosuchus and Quetzalcoatlus, there are also Big Game, Titan, Predator and Boss cards marked as "removed from game".

Is there a reason for that, besides not making it to the new edition?
They were Limited Edition cards from the Exotic Predators expansion. You can keep the ones you have, but they're not being reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I read the new rules and also converted the decks using the new card quantities (that was a pain).

What I am still not sure of is if I can also play apex cards from my hand when I bring out all cards from my ambush point to increase hunt value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realised that the link HH gave me wasn't to the new rulebook. I found a more recent and way better version in the forums. What a mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Cranor
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goblin wrote:

If you're using the new rules, then you must choose for each hunt whether you want to use all Apex cards in your ambush point -OR- (1 or more) Apex cards from your hand -- you can't mix them. You do not have to play the Ambush cards first.
So when the new rules (pg 20) say:

Quote:
...Then your Hunt Point total is generated by stacking up the Hunt Points on all cards played from your Ambush Point. You may also play additional cards from your hand with the cards played from your Ambush point
So you're saying those additional cards must be non-Apex? Where are you getting that from?

Not that I'm at all sure what the intention is. The next paragraph says

Quote:
If a card (Card A) has an ability that allows you to play an additional card (Card B) with in, Card B's ability can be activated and its Hunt Points stacked with Card A.
But since the previous rule was that additional cards may be played, what would mean?

I see three possibilities:

1. "Everyone ambush!" Card A/B paragraph is redundant, or perhaps a vestigial exception from when rules previously said "cannot be played".

2. The "may be played" sentence only refers to the circumstances described in the A/B paragraph.

I was just looking for which of those is correct, but your notion of only Apex being restricted introduces another possibility:

3. The 'may be played' sentence is meant to refer to non apex cards. Then the A/B paragraph is detailing an exception where apex cards can be played and their Hunt Points added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls