Popular Tags: [View All]
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Apple userMicrobadge: Discordian
Yesterday I had my first game of TD. And right away my second one as well. Lots of fun!

But it raised a question with me. Why is every murder suspect linked to one player? The way we played, everyone could look at everybody else's cards and make suggestions. The players would come to a group decision then. But if they do that, then they don't need to have exactly one murder victim for each player (plus a few innocents).
Would there be any problem with having the number of guests at the house, and the number of potential murderers, be independent of the number of players? The play goes otherwise similar; the ghost forms stacks of cards for a number of colours, and then sends visions about those colours to the players. They have to identify together which colour is related to which item, location and person.
I guess that this would work well with the variant that the players first try to eliminate suspects before, on the final day, have to guess from among the remaining persons.

Second question is about the screen. I have the Polish edition which came without a screen. Here on BGG I've seen a couple of screens (both official and home made) which have room for up to six characters, one for each colour. But there can be up to twelve characters in the game. A lot of them are not connected to a colour, true, but yesterday I found out that it is just as important to look at those characters (and locations, and items), because you don't want to send ambiguous signals.
(For example, when I had to guess the location, the ghost gave me a card that depicted a chess board with pieces flying about, and a rat at the end. I immediately put my token on the tool shed, which has this large black and white checkered piece of cloth hanging about. But the ghost had intended to point me to the attic (because there are always rats in the attics, he told me), and had not even seen the tool shed with its chessboard-like cloth.)
Should a screen therefore not need enough room to show all the cards, not just the ones identified by colour?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Trombone fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Cleveland Indians fanMicrobadge: Treefrog Line fan
I think your variant idea would work well with the right group, since that is what many already do.

However, allowing each person to make the definite choice each night makes sure everyone feels in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
England
Bedford
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love board games more than I love people.Microbadge: Always room for 1 more gameMicrobadge: Forces others to play boardgamesMicrobadge: Player of too many unowned gamesMicrobadge: I don't know what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head.
Whymme wrote:
Should a screen therefore not need enough room to show all the cards, not just the ones identified by colour?
You could just leave the "leftover" cards in a pile behind the ghost screen - that way the ghost can refer to them if they want to avoid misdirection, without the screen having to be twice the size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls