Subject: Strategy for a new solo campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Analysis Paralysis is in my blood!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: World in Flames fanMicrobadge: Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe - Axis PlayerMicrobadge: I Play Monster WarGames
Hi,

I'm trying to find time to start a new solo campaign after a break from the game. I'm pondering what strategy I should try out for the Axis.

I noticed some discussion over at CSW about two interesting Axis strategies that I have not tried yet. These are:

1) a west-first strategy, where USSR is attacked already in July 1940 while France is probably still being fought. The idea is to force the game to end a year early. East Invaded will trigger already in 1940, which makes Russia strong quite early. This probably makes collapsing them completely impossible. The plan is thus not even trying to go for a collapse, but take some space and rely on the best Russian forces not arriving in time, since they are not tied to East Invaded/NS Pact ending. The Americans will arrive early, though.

2) trying to recruit Poland to Axis diplomatically, in order to get more armies, which will be helpful against the Soviets and for guarding French ports. The Poles will normally need to do off-map setup to optimize the timing of East Invaded, but in combination with 1) they may even be able to setup on the map if the political success comes at a comfortable time, because East Invaded will happen very early anyway.

These two plans sound to me like they have some synergy, since the extra Poles could help with the two-front stage in 1940, and I imagine the additional roadblocks should be useful especially in 43 against both the Russians and the American invasions.

On the other hand, people have said the Poles are at their most useful in 43 when the Russian front is so far east that it becomes too long for the German forcepool to fill. This may not go well together with the quick plan, since the front will not be as long. OTOH, more armies than usual will be tied against the Western forces in 43.

What do you think? And also, Sal, did you already get enough feedback/testing on the Polish strategy? Would it be more interesting to get data on a more conventional east first with the Poles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
Microbadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Star Trek: The Next Generation fanMicrobadge: Every Game is Better with DwarvesMicrobadge: My obsession with my family interferes with my board gamesMicrobadge: Dudeist

The Polish joining the Axis sounds very useful, but I am thinking the West and the Soviets are not going to allow it. Every time you add a marker, both the West or the Soviets have a chance of removing it (plus the Soviets might want to try and grab Poland for themselves).

Or alternatively, the West let you have it and have Italy joining them in the meantime. That seems like trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe - Western PlayerMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Soccer fanMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG poster
I did get enough feedback to change Poland's Prod x2 marker into a "What if" counter so it won't be used in the standard rules.

Having said that, more feedback is welcome. The Quick Fuse strategy seemed to be a high risk high reward gamble during testing.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Analysis Paralysis is in my blood!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: World in Flames fanMicrobadge: Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe - Axis PlayerMicrobadge: I Play Monster WarGames
The Polish strategy will probably require some quite aggressive conquering in the beginning, aiming for 9 conquered countries. I think there should be a pretty good chance of getting both Poland and Italy.

Sal, I noticed the rules change. I'll see how it works. I guess getting Eastern Poland ceded will be quite important, since 2 production is not much.

Can you remember why the quick fuse felt like a risky gamble, compared to something else? Is there something that can make or break it, such as whether the Western allies succeed in their 43 invasions or are driven back?

For me, west first seems most like a high risk high reward gamble, because you go for the very uncertain Russian collapse, which is hard to achieve but also very good if you get it. Both east first and the quick fuse (though without trying it yet) seem to me like there are less such important make it or break it situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe - Western PlayerMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Soccer fanMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG poster
Daemou wrote:
Sal, I noticed the rules change. I'll see how it works. I guess getting Eastern Poland ceded will be quite important, since 2 production is not much.
If you get Poland as an Axis ally before Eastern Poland is ceded to the USSR, Poland will have 3 production.

Quote:
Can you remember why the quick fuse felt like a risky gamble, compared to something else? Is there something that can make or break it, such as whether the Western allies succeed in their 43 invasions or are driven back?
Mainly because fighting a two front war early is difficult. Trying to time East and West Invaded results with less than the Germans full force can be tricky. It is more difficult if the are also trying to conquer minors at the same time to put Pro-Faction markers in the Diplomacy Cup. Remember, Pro-Faction markers removed from the Dip Cup are removed, not placed in the Holding Box to be bought and put back into the Cup.

Quote:
For me, west first seems most like a high risk high reward gamble, because you go for the very uncertain Russian collapse, which is hard to achieve but also very good if you get it. Both east first and the quick fuse (though without trying it yet) seem to me like there are less such important make it or break it situations.
Well, I guess one could say that any Germany strategy is high risk.

Your assessment is why I appreciate players trying out the different strategies and giving feedback. Perhaps Quick Fuse does prove to be the best strategy for the Axis. If it results in an Axis win more often than losses and negates players trying other ways, then we want to address that in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
svasta wrote:
If you get Poland as an Axis ally before Eastern Poland is ceded to the USSR, Poland will have 3 production.
Yes, I meant since 3 is relatively much more than 2, getting the cede in time will now have a large effect on how useful Poland is, and is thus important.

Quote:
Mainly because fighting a two front war early is difficult. Trying to time East and West Invaded results with less than the Germans full force can be tricky. It is more difficult if the are also trying to conquer minors at the same time to put Pro-Faction markers in the Diplomacy Cup.
Thanks for the info. It does sound like the beginning is not as easy for Germany as it usually is.

Quote:
Remember, Pro-Faction markers removed from the Dip Cup are removed, not placed in the Holding Box to be bought and put back into the Cup.
Sure. But one thing I didn't think about was that diplomacy would end so early that there maybe won't be enough time for drawing the chits. And a west first ally-Poland strategy is also easier in that you have much more time to invade minors to get the diplomacy benefits, so you really end up with both Italy and Poland as German allies.

On the other hand, I guess the quick fuse can also be reduced to a normal west first on the fly, if things are not looking good enough by summer 1940.

Quote:
Well, I guess one could say that any Germany strategy is high risk.

I'll report here when I have something to report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls