Popular Tags: [View All]
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking into backing this but I am a bit confused about what is actually needed to play this.

Is a starter plus stretch goals (let's say 5 cruisers and 12 frigates/carriers) enough to build a tournament legal fleet? And if not, what exactly does one need?

More importantly, will I have to buy other models not acquirable through this kickstarter (like the bigger ships that will only be available through retail) to build a legal fleet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did some googling and came up with this:

Quote:
How many ships will I need? How big is a ‘Standard’ game?

Dropfleet Commander is designed to be scalable, so that you can play from small skirmishes up to epic fleet games. The system uses alternate activation and the battlegroup system, much like in Dropzone Commander, and also has customisable force organisation in the same way. With this in place, the standard game size should be around 1500 points, with approximately 14-18 ships consisting of several groups of smaller craft, such as Frigates and Cruisers, and a few larger spaceships, such as Battleships and Dreadnoughts.

Anyone knows anything other than that?

I have to say that not being able to get a full fleet during the KS makes it infinitely less enticing to me. If I am going to go retail for the half of it, why not wait and go retail the whole way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a podcast, and while a typical tournament legal fleet would have 1 to 2 battleships, which are not included in the kickstarter, they are not required to be legal, and the KS exclusive battlecruisers will be able to double as a tournament legal battlecruiser to help in having a heavy ship in your fleet.

Having 2 starters, along with everything unlocked for stretch goals should be enough for a tournament legal fleet, especially if you assemble the ships as the more expensive (in army points) variants that they have.

They specifically are not including the larger battleships, and some of the other less "core" unit types in the kickstarter, precisely because they do not want retailers to suffer. If you would rather wait and support retail, Hawk Wargames is very happy for you to do so. The point of the kickstarter was to support plastic moulds (instead of resin moulds) for the starter sets, to make the game cheaper and easier for everyone to get into. This funding has happened - while I'd love to see you join the kickstarter and help more stretch goals be released (which may include products that wouldn't get made otherwise), everyone is just as happy if you decide to go retail instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the thing is that if we don't go in now, by the time the game gets out other games will probably attract our attention. I am just trying to make an informed decision collectively with the rest of my group.

The plan is to take a Commodore pledge and split factions among 4 people.
Questions are:

1. Will the kickstarter stuff (plus stretch goals, I think 500,000 pounds is easily within grasp) be enough to have meaningful games? Or are the starter fleets just for learning the rules of the game?

2. Eventually we might want to expand to the standard game (or however it is called) format. What exactly will be needed then on top of the KS stuff and is there any estimation of how much will it cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boofus wrote:
Well, the thing is that if we don't go in now, by the time the game gets out other games will probably attract our attention. I am just trying to make an informed decision collectively with the rest of my group.

The plan is to take a Commodore pledge and split factions among 4 people.
Questions are:

1. Will the kickstarter stuff (plus stretch goals, I think 500,000 pounds is easily within grasp) be enough to have meaningful games? Or are the starter fleets just for learning the rules of the game?

2. Eventually we might want to expand to the standard game (or however it is called) format. What exactly will be needed then on top of the KS stuff and is there any estimation of how much will it cost?
1. Yes, I'd say so. The starter set for Dropzone Commander is good enough to have fun, meaningful games, and with the stretch goals, the Dropfleet armies will be almost twice as big as a starter set. In fact, I'm thinking if you chose the more expensive configurations for each ship, you could likely have a standard tournament-sized fleet, point-wise, with just what you get with the kickstarter.

2. The only expectation that Hawk has said is that you'll want one or two of the larger battleship / dreadnought ships, to round out the army. These will likely be resin, not plastic, so they will be a bit more expensive. I'm guessing they'll show up in online stores for around $25-$30 US each. There will definitely be other ships coming out - I'm sure Hawk will keep supporting this game and coming up with new and interesting units, but their description of a standard fleet is just battleships, cruisers, and frigates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls