Ekö» Forums » Variants

Subject: 5+ players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would this game work if you add a fifth player (enough discs and some building can probably easily be scrounged from other games - need more tiles?

Did you try it while playtesting? Too chaotic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Kermarrec
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hello,

No, I never tried to add a fifth player. First because I did not want to raise the global duration of the game, and did not want to add some downtime between two turns. And of course, yes, it would bring a little bit more of chaos...

But if you want to try it, you can, all you need is discs and buildings for a fifth player, and you have to add three tiles that gives enough spaces to set up the fifth player's pawns. One of these tiles should contain a Capital.

Let us know if it's good ! ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
piotr s
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can not imagine why someone want to play Eco with more than 2 players?

2 player Eco good 2 player abstract game like gipf.

3+ player game first 90% of game time is only chaos(it is like game: every player start from 100 HP and in turn order each player may subtract 1 HP from one of opponents, last live player win) and 10% waiting for mistake of 1 player giving random of opponents win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Delhez
Belgium
Leuze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are different feelings about that point. Some players (like you) want to be able to manage absolutely everything while other ones prefer a more open game (3+ players). Personnaly I prefere to play at more than 2. And it is exactly the same feeling I have regarding Barony. I just had a 2 player play, and this is not “fun” enough for me. 3+ powa!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ywen P
msg tools
I'd say that that at 3 or 4 players in the first part of the game you have to wonder where you want to be in the late game (near the capitals? The moutains?) and act in accordance. There are 3 players that will try to prevent you from doing so, so the sooner you work on it the easier it'll be.

Until now, I've never attacked right at the beginning of the game (except that one time when random distribution put 4 of my pawns around the capital and just one opponent pawn, then I just put my emperor there and attacked it first). I'm pretty n00b, though. Only, I always try to first reinforce my piles where it seems to be a priori interesting. As in middle/late game moving gets easier than dropping your pawns where you want them (because more & more buildings are there), I think that being the one with the highest piles when the board starts to clear and long range movement starts to be possible is an important key to victory.
If the other players attack you early, unless they capture your emperor I'm not sure it brings them any sort of advantage in early game.

But I'd be really interested if a strategy guide for Ekö (with overtures and such) gets released! (official or not)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
piotr s
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in my 2 players game i almost always attack if possible.
a)every attack decrease number of piles of oponent by 1.

b)other action merging pile and build spending whole pile, remove 1 your. pile from the board.

c)building by using part of pile not remove any pile from the board.

advantage of number of piles is key to win game.

you can treat number of piles like HP
in every move you have 3 option a)hit oponent b)hit yourself c)do something else.

if you chose b) then this will be easy game for your oponent since you help him to remove you from the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ywen P
msg tools
Having more piles than your opponent is indeed an important factor.

But I've noticed that (at least in 2p games) some piles won't be touched until very, very late or not at all if you end the game by completing the 12-points victory condition.

Plus, if these piles are next to an opponent's building then they're basically useless. So maybe some of these piles would actually be better in my stock, where they can be used as "money" to do forced marches (a well-timed forced march can be a game changer).

Authors, I'm wondering: how "flexibly" can you, when you're planning, "switch" from one victory condition to the other? That is, how early in the game do you reach a point when you know that one of the two conditions is now out of reach and that your only hope of winning is to pursue the other?
Said differently: does it often happen that someone builds a strategy to reach one victory condition and actually by some turn of fate wins by attaining the other?

Or is the game design biased towards one condition? (Like "you should always aim for the 12 points VC, winning by destroying all the opponents' piles must always remain a spare strategy")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
piotr s
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i never try win by get 12VP, but at the end of the game when you have 8 piles to oponent who have 4 piles you can win in any way.

maybe when i find more experienced oponent then i consider other strategy now all my oponents help me win game by removing they piles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls