Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Red vs. Blue ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Ok is there any difference between the Red and Blue versions other than color of the flipping box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Big Trouble in Little China: The Game fanMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: 2015 Copper SupporterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Apparently not, the suggestion is that they released two different colours so that you could play with two different groups without getting mixed up as to what was being played with whom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Charterstone fanMicrobadge: Warehouse 13: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: The Orville fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)
Officially there is no difference.

If you believe that, then I've got some land to sell you in Florida.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: Copper File UploaderMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Well clearly one has a red box and the other has a blue box. wow

(As far as I know, there have been no reports of content differences)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: I stole cookies from the cookie jarMicrobadge: I give out citizenship stars
Bodasafa wrote:
Ok is there any difference between the Red and Blue versions other than color of the flipping box?
There is not really more differnce between the boxes than there is between all the Threads here on the forum asking about the differences between the boxes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Rodriguez
Mexico
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Social GamerMicrobadge: Super Smash Bros. fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fan
Red seems more popular. And it has been mentioned that if you're a chemist, you'll find the blue version cringe worthy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oriel maxime
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
This split reminds me of pokemon games. That makes me a little sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bodasafa wrote:
Yes, all the good looking cool people bought red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Microbadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: I backed Cthulhu: Death May Die on Kickstarter!Microbadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fan
rmair62 wrote:

I'll wager you are wrong.

There is no difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Microbadge: Fedora Linux userMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: The Gaming Gang fanMicrobadge: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start!
Dormammu wrote:
rmair62 wrote:

There is no difference.
I think he was making fun of the publisher's reasoning for having 2 different boxes.

And I agree, it's a silly reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Charterstone fanMicrobadge: Warehouse 13: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: The Orville fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)
Dormammu wrote:
rmair62 wrote:

There is no difference.
I don't understand. I said there is no difference "officially".

Are you saying I'm wrong and there is a difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
monteslu wrote:
Dormammu wrote:
rmair62 wrote:

There is no difference.
I think he was making fun of the publisher's reasoning for having 2 different boxes.

And I agree, it's a silly reason.
I agree, that would be a silly reason. The cost of creating a separate printing and processing process for a different coloured box just for the sake of having a different coloured box seems a bit excessive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
Microbadge: Rubber Ducky
Bodasafa wrote:
I got red. (I'd have preferred blue, but it was sold out and I was eager.)

When I carefully unpacked everything, particularly alert for any surprises like the "DO NOT OPEN. EVER." envelope I know exists in Risk Legacy, I noticed that the eight sealed boxes sit in a separate cardboard tray.

On the underside of that tray, there is a tinted-monochrome version of an element from the red box cover. Is that the same for the blue edition, or have they gone to the trouble of printing two different images where many people won't even notice it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haven't played this yet but it would have been both cheaper production wise and more flavourful to have one box design and some sort of sticker included that you can put on the box (maybe fill in the blank campaign name)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
clowntable wrote:
Haven't played this yet but it would have been both cheaper production wise and more flavourful to have one box design and some sort of sticker included that you can put on the box (maybe fill in the blank campaign name)
I agree, unless there is some other reason for the two boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: I stole cookies from the cookie jarMicrobadge: I give out citizenship stars
rmair62 wrote:
clowntable wrote:
I agree, unless there is some other reason for the two boxes.
It would likely be cheaper to use stickers, but it would never have created such a buzz - this is what I would call clever marketing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Microbadge: Fedora Linux userMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: The Gaming Gang fanMicrobadge: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start!
clowntable wrote:
Or just write on the box. Can't imagine someone getting upset about writing on the box of a legacy type game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Beadle
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Mechs vs. Minions fanMicrobadge: Pandemic: On the Brink fanMicrobadge: I love chemistryMicrobadge: World Scouting
What I'm struggling with is that Amazon in the UK are selling the Blue box for £62.99, but the red box is available for £53.99, from another vendor, both incl shipping. Seems like a crazy difference in price!

Never mind - I found a local vendor selling both for £48.50. So...amazon loses out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Young
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Copper File UploaderMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
Red is for suckers. Blue rulz.

Other than that, no difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I game in the Toon!Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 19 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG poster
clivej wrote:
Bodasafa wrote:
I got red. (I'd have preferred blue, but it was sold out and I was eager.)

When I carefully unpacked everything, particularly alert for any surprises like the "DO NOT OPEN. EVER." envelope I know exists in Risk Legacy, I noticed that the eight sealed boxes sit in a separate cardboard tray.

On the underside of that tray, there is a tinted-monochrome version of an element from the red box cover. Is that the same for the blue edition, or have they gone to the trouble of printing two different images where many people won't even notice it?
At least in my copy (blue box), the under-tray image contains elements from both box lids.

The only other actual difference I'm aware of is the cover of the rulebook, which, I'm told, matches the box art. I've not checked inside a red box to confirm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls