Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gaming since 1994Microbadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2004Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Eurogamer
Hi,

This game looks pretty cool and just hit my radar. I just finished reading the rulebook and do not see why this would not play well with 2 players. Obviously there is a bit less competition for goods and things. But what are the downsides to just playing the game with the rules as written with 2 players? Would it still be a fun and strategic game?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Microbadge: My contribution was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant
jgortner wrote:
Hi,

This game looks pretty cool and just hit my radar. I just finished reading the rulebook and do not see why this would not play well with 2 players. Obviously there is a bit less competition for goods and things. But what are the downsides to just playing the game with the rules as written with 2 players? Would it still be a fun and strategic game?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Part of the fun of the game is the tension and competition of fighting over finishing the sagas, etc (think completing "sets"). Without a different board and/or changes to the card deck, I don't think it would be as fun with 2 players, it would be too "easy".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gaming since 1994Microbadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2004Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Eurogamer
But wouldn't it be equally easy with 2 players? Resulting in a strategic fight for the best / most efficient path to victory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
jgortner wrote:
But wouldn't it be equally easy with 2 players? Resulting in a strategic fight for the best / most efficient path to victory?
You can try it and see!

What I CAN say is that it seems to be an exceptionally well-balanced and well-play-tested game. As part of the set-up, you're supposed to remove a small sub-set of the cards. I played one session where we forgot to do that, and the game really dragged and lost a lot of tension (because we knew ALL the saga cards would come out, eventually).

So, I would imagine they playtested it with 2 and decided for good reasons that it shouldn't be advertised as working with 2 players.
But, no reason why you can't try it for yourself and report back...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We play it 2 players, it's fine. There's still fighting over areas because you want to prevent bonus points from being earned, and get the sagas. Remove some cards as said above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Cool.

Yeah just trying to determine if it's worth it to purchase if we will occasionally play it as a 2 player game.

But I did just see what the old map looks like. And I am a bit dissapointed in the new "wood grain" map compared to the old vibrant and colorful fun map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
jgortner wrote:

But I did just see what the old map looks like. And I am a bit dissapointed in the new "wood grain" map compared to the old vibrant and colorful fun map.
Which is why I think the used prices of the 2nd ed. have not gone down that much - the 3rd ed. art is quite a departure and has been controversial.

BUT, looks like someone's selling a copy of 2nd ed for $80 on BGG marketplace (new-in-shrink to boot!), which is actually the MSRP of 3rd ed, not bad, I'd take that up if I was in the market to buy the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Sisters of Mercy fanMicrobadge: Einst├╝rzende Neubauten fanMicrobadge: Dead Kennedys fanMicrobadge: Black Flag fanMicrobadge: Siouxsie and the Banshees fan
2nd edition from Amazon prime for $59 Amazon. Sorry I can't seem to get hyperlinks to work even though I am using the BGG suggested format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls