BattleCON: Fate of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: Trouble with Lord Eustace rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skyler Tipsord
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ive played quite a few games against Lord Eustace and in NONE of them had he clicked for anyone in my gaming group, resulting in a very one sided match. It seems like his ability is very easy to shutdown and use to harm him and doesnt do anything exceedingly well. That said, i feel like im just missing something here. Can someone explain how he should be played, strategies, combos, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Well, general consensus is that he's just pretty bad. Though, a friend of mine has had a bit of success with him, even in unfavorable matchups. He plays very skittishly, where with most characters he's pretty aggressive.

Generally speaking, I'd say the main strategy is mitigation. Try and get one or two favorable trades when it seems like there's a good opportunity, (shouldn't be *too* hard, since he can get lots of soak and hits fairly hard) and spend the rest of the match playing evasively and defensively. Get a life lead and try to run the clock down. As you get near the end, the opponent will have to play more aggressively to prevent a loss by timeout- At this point, you can try to exploit the behavior for a knockout or just go for more trades and maintain a life lead until you win on Beat 15.

If you can't get the life-lead early, don't expect to be able to pull it out in the clutch, unless you're ready to bet the farm on a Frigid Cross or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
play him against marmelee from devastation and you might win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Via Nebula fanMicrobadge: Level 99 Games fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Ghost Stories fanMicrobadge: Keyflower fan
Can confirm, have played this matchup. It's silly because they're both very passive, opportunistic characters that can't afford to fail beats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eustace plays the Hit and Run game. Your goal is to build up some tokens and then invest into attacks. By making good use of Stun Guard, you may avoid the loss of too many tokens. Burst and Dash are your friend, and so is making your opponent Dash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Eustace was actually a lot like Marmelee in testing, in that any one change would swing his matchups wildly in either direction. Defense-focused characters like this tend to require very specific strategies to play effectively. For Eustace, the typical 3-beat strategy is:

Dash -> Stun-Guard-y Strike or Cross -> Shot with 3 Frostflows anted (ie: Clockwork Shot)

And you can mix that up into whatever variation you prefer. Played by a strong player, Eustace is actually on par with the rest of the Fate cast, according to our statistical balancing, but playing him evenly against them requires a level of prediction and patience that is much higher than the rest of the characters in the box.

Eustace is also a character that benefits quite a lot from Armory, so if you want to see some more play with him, try him in a 100-gold matchup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Via Nebula fanMicrobadge: Level 99 Games fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Ghost Stories fanMicrobadge: Keyflower fan
Brad, wondering about that strategy because anteing 3 Frostflow on Shot seems very awkward due to the range negation on his UA. Clockwork Shot is great because of the hitconfirm, but Eustace UA causes Frigid/Baron's Shot to lose to any movement effects (and at speed 2 or less he'll almost definitely be going slower than the opponent).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eustace doesnt want to Shoot, he wants do Drive and Cross. These are the core of his gameplay. Shooting is valid, but without ante. He has three styles that guarantee Magic Stum Guard for Shot, enough t make it reasonably safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Agreed. The problem is that in my experience, the first two parts of the 3-turn cycle Brad mentioned are reasonable but the third bit doesn't work because of hitconfirm issues (the best bet is Ivory Cross or Frigid Cross with Force for SG2). Elementary and Ivory Shot beat grasp, but that's about it (and with a +0~1 Elementary stops working too).

Baron's Shot if you buy SG2 though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
Elementary and Ivory Shot beat grasp, but that's about it (and with a +0~1 Elementary stops working too).
Elementary's range bonus isnt affected by Frostflow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Correct, but unless you corner yourself they can still push you back one and then you'll be 3 spaces away. It's only safe if the Grasp whiffs or you jump into the corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David L.
msg tools
OK, I'm going to take Brad's post as confirmation that Eustace's max=min range clause is a printing error caused by malevolent gremlins rather than something that was meant to be in our poor skele-buddy's release version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Mononen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also didn't like Eustace. It's too easy to lose 2 tokens a turn and if facing a high mobility unit it's almost impossible to get a hit in.

Ps. Or I'm just really bad with him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you guys been playing him with Force Gauge, btw? He benefits immensely from the Stun Guard ante and the Priority ante available to players in that mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with Eustace in Force Gauge, I agree it really helps him. Cross is such a good unique base as well, use and abuse!

EDIT: I main Eustace and Marmelee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladislav Goldakovsky
Ukraine
Kiev
flag msg tools
Recently, there was a rumor that Fate characters were balanced more with FG in mind, than vanilla duel mode. This somewhat makes sense when we look at our skeleton lord.

Could you comment on this, Brad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true. We planned for FG to become the default play standard with the launch of Fate, so the characters were built with that in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
It's true. We planned for FG to become the default play standard with the launch of Fate, so the characters were built with that in mind.
A very good decision, if I may say so. But now i gotta ask, do we have any idea of the possible changes the older characters might endure because of that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls