13 Posts

Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Activating the Objective rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyrion Gru

Ohio
msg tools
Does the Objective HAVE to be activated in order to fulfill its requirements? For example, if I have a range 2 sniper weapon, can I stay two away from the Cartel Boss objective and snipe the boss, thus winning the game (and not even having to bother with pesky screening hostiles!)

Makes sense that the Objective must be activated, but I can't find it stated in the rules. Thanks for any input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you have to activate the objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeeTabs wrote:
Does the Objective HAVE to be activated in order to fulfill its requirements? For example, if I have a range 2 sniper weapon, can I stay two away from the Cartel Boss objective and snipe the boss, thus winning the game (and not even having to bother with pesky screening hostiles!)

Makes sense that the Objective must be activated, but I can't find it stated in the rules. Thanks for any input.
I just looked in the second edition rules. As far as I can tell, it's true, as you say, that it's never explicitly stated. It is implied by context and by example, but it's never actually said outright.

Yes, you have to activate the objective before you can engage anything on it. Hopefully Dan Verssen sees this and corrects it in the next edition.

Another oft-missed rule about the objective from pg 19 of the second edition:

Quote:
Some Action card text allows the card to target Hostile cards.
These Action cards cannot attack the target in an Objective
card. They can however attack the Hostile cards in an
Objective card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a matter of "having to"? Isn't it a byproduct of simply moving into the location before it?

-zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gypsy '66 / Spellbinder - Gabor Szabo
badge
Pastoralia - George Saunders
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
Dawn of the Dad wrote:
Is it a matter of "having to"? Isn't it a byproduct of simply moving into the location before it?

-zombie
The rules give you leeway on when you do it exactly; they just fail to mention that it's required. I assume you can clean up the previous location before activating it if you have time to spare. (That's the trouble with not having an explicit rule, you have to assume things.)

Kozure wrote:
Another oft-missed rule about the objective from pg 19 of the second edition:

Quote:
Some Action card text allows the card to target Hostile cards.
These Action cards cannot attack the target in an Objective
card. They can however attack the Hostile cards in an
Objective card.
Thank you - I'd read the rules twice without internalizing that tidbit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn of the Dad wrote:

-zombie
If you move into the location on the path before it, it remains inactive until activated by the player(s), so no, it isn't a byproduct.

Quote:
Activating the Objective card is the same as playing a new
Location card. Draw the Objective’s Hostile cards when you
activate the Objective card.
There is an example on page 27:

Quote:
Example: The Objective has a Present “Sniper”. At the start of
the game, find a “Sniper” card and place it next to the
Objective. When you Activate the Objective, also Activate the
Sniper, in addition to drawing all the Hostile cards normally
drawn for the Objective
It's actually a mechanic I take advantage of; if we have cleared the location card next to the objective a little early, I usually have my team take time to cycle their hands to get the optimal hand before activating the objective. I usually try to place locations so that the cards adjacent to the objective have low reinforcement values. You should never dawdle about activating the objective, but you should never activate it willy-nilly either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Thank you - I'd read the rules twice without internalizing that tidbit.
Yup... I ran up against that in a multiplayer when we made it to the objective and still had the Reaper card in our hands.

The player with the Reaper said "uh, why don't we just use the Reaper on the target".

I thought to myself, 'why not?', but I checked the rules and found that clarification.

Another thing that Dan V. may consider clarifying in future rulebook iterations is that Activating the objective requires no action or XP cost. It is effectively what most games call a "free action" but the ruleset never refers to free actions as such.

It's the same confusion that some players have about putting down location cards that have no cost - you do it "for free" - no action required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
That last part doesn't bother me so much because the things that do require an action are enumerated explicitly in the Actions section on page 15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
That last part doesn't bother me so much because the things that do require an action are enumerated explicitly in the Actions section on page 15.
True.

It's never bothered me, but I know questions like, "Do I have to spend an action to play a location card," and, "Do I have to spend an action to activate the objective," get asked quite a bit here - or at least it seems that way sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:

Another thing that Dan V. may consider clarifying in future rulebook iterations is that Activating the objective requires no action or XP cost. It is effectively what most games call a "free action" but the ruleset never refers to free actions as such.

It's the same confusion that some players have about putting down location cards that have no cost - you do it "for free" - no action required.
Page 6. Cards that are free to play have the text "free to play" on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been a long while since I've brought his game to the table...
Can you activate the next location (or objective location) while engaged with hostiles in the current location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
panzer6 wrote:
Kozure wrote:

Page 6. Cards that are free to play have the text "free to play" on them.
Yep, it has that for Location Cards, but you have to infer it for the Objective Cards which are detailed on page 5.

The thing about activating objectives doesn't appear until page 18, where it says doing that is like playing a new Location Card. The trouble with that explanation is that Location Cards say "1 XP to play" or "1 Action to play" when they don't say "Free to play", and the Objective Cards lack those instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
StevenE wrote:
It has been a long while since I've brought his game to the table...
Can you activate the next location (or objective location) while engaged with hostiles in the current location?
Yes, and in my limited experience that's sometimes a good choice. There is a limitation that you can only play 1 Location Card per Soldier Turn.

(I'm assuming once again, but to me that implies you can't both place a Location and activate the Objective on the same Soldier Turn.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls