BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a game for my 13 y.o. Son rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannukah starts in about a month, and I need to figure out a gift for my difficult to shop for 13 y.o. son.

He loves sci fi and space, and when he chooses a game to play with just me, it is usually Star Trek: Fleet Captains (he has the expansions too) or Eclipse.

With his friends and/ or little brothers he enjoys playing Galaxy Trucker, Defenders of the Realm, or Nexus Ops.

Lately also he has been playing weekly three player games of Brass: Lancashire with me and his dad. He hasn't won yet, but he holds his own.

Game weight is not an issue, as he is fine with heavy games. We are much more likely to pull a game out if set-up is minimal, rules are streamlined, and gameplay takes under and hour and a half, but theme is usually important and needs to be integrated into the gameplay.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is also 13 and my most regular gaming partner. Some of our favourites are:

The Voyages of Marco Polo
Vinhos
The Gallerist
La Granja
Orleans

Each has some setup but with 2-3 players should not take longer than 1.5 hours once you are familiar with the game.

Some of our favourite family weight games ( we are 5 ) include:

Istanbul
Royals
Isle of Skye
Carcassonne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jenkins
msg tools
badge
Me neither.
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Desert might be a good idea for him. Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debra Mercurio
United States
Marlborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Tiny Epic Galaxies? Space themed, has some player interaction, quick set up and under 90 minutes.Tiny Epic Galaxies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco Polo and Orleans are both fantastic choices. You might look into Twilight Struggle too if you want a long term project for you both to learn and enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the likes of Forbidden Stars or Far Space Foundry or even jump in head first with Twilight Imperium (Third Edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Emperor, definitely.

These might be a bit of a departure, more euro-ish/strategic, but definitely integrate theme, and might be fun for him to try something in a new direction? (Also Eclipse has some euroish aspects, which you said he likes):

Race for the Galaxy?

Ad Astra?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt MacKenzie
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Just a couple suggestions for you:

Star Realms - cheap/light/quick deckbuilder, easy to learn and super portable. 2 player game or with multiple decks for 4-6.

Space Alert - co-op game (same universe as galaxy trucker), can be difficult but lots of fun. 1-5 players.

Cosmic Encounter - space invading/conflict with lots of replayability, last about an hour, supports 3-5 players (more with expansions).

Race for the Galaxy or Roll for the Galaxy - fast Civ building games with either cards (Race) or dice and tiles (Roll). Lots of iconography but once you get going it's fairly easy to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the ideas so far. I should have also stated that we need a game that plays well with two. A lot of the games suggested look interesting, but need at least three players.

He has played Race for the Galaxy, but it is harder for him to be competitive with us when massive amounts of cards come into play. My husband and I are really good at gettting combos, and maybe that's why it's never become a favorite game.

Also, while I think he would be open to playing the euros being recommended, I don't think he would be enthusiastic about receiving one as a gift. I am looking to get him something special that he will like over general family games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Specter Ops? Plays 2-5 people and is sci-fi themed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Awful Green Things From Outer Space?

The latest edition is REALLY nicely produced! Dripping with theme. 2-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's another 2-player game, if you think he'd dig the miniatures:
-Mars Attacks: The Miniatures Game

If you want something that plays with 2 but also plays more, a few other ideas:

Flying Frog Productions makes really thematic Ameritrash games, I've only played Last Night on Earth (Zombies), which was fun... but this one uses the same "engine" but more of a "space" theme:

-Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Game

They also made:
-Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game

If you want to go with a light dice-rolling game:
-Martian Dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Duvall
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I'd go with Euphoria: Great futuristic theme, beautiful art, scales very nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
I'll still highly recommend cosmic encounter tho. It's really good.

Otherwise I'll suggest Star Wars imperial assault maybe? There's both a campaign mode (2-5 players) and a skirmish mode (2 players)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia
K2
1775: Rebellion
Pret-a-Porter (if you can find it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet Dungeon Petz would be a huge hit. Excellent game; fun!

Race for the Galaxy probably hits all your criteria pretty well; and it is still one of my favorite games.

Cosmic Encounter with many of the expansions is great fun too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Race for the Galaxy

Great with 2p and good replay value:

Eminent Domain
Core Worlds
Portal: The Uncooperative Cake Acquisition Game *
Luna **
Alien Frontiers ***

* It is not necessary to have first played the Portal or Portal 2 video games that inspired the board game but if he might enjoy them.

** Not sci-fi but plays excellent with 2p, thematic, and there is virtually no luck in this fantasy/sci-fish game.

edit: *** better with 3p+ but still a good game with 2p.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Legacy: The Starship

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I am still not decided about what to give him. Ignoring my original time requirements for the game, does anyone have an opinion about either Merchant of Venus or Firefly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
123ABC wrote:
So, I am still not decided about what to give him. Ignoring my original time requirements for the game, does anyone have an opinion about either Merchant of Venus or Firefly?

Does he like/love the show Firefly? If so, I'd go with that. If he doesn't like the show, probably not a good idea.

Also, Firefly is I think more "Ameritrashy" (90% users vote "thematic" on the game page), whereas Merchant of Venus is more "Euro" (closer to 50/50 thematic vs strategy votes on the game page), and it sounds like you wanted something more thematic than euro for him... so another push towards the Firefly corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
123ABC wrote:

If he is not a firefly fan than I would skip it.

For a small 2 player game what about Star Realms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:

Yeah, unless he doesn't like the Star Wars movies, I think most 13-year-olds would be really into a gift like that this year in particular. It's the "hot" theme for toys this year.

But, tread carefully, it could be the beginning of a BIG money pit (it's not a standalone, more like a "collectible" with many many many expansions)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, it's a great gift for Chanukah, you could give him one small expansion for each day of Chanukah...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually wondering about Star Trek attack wing, but got overwhelmed by options and am unaware what extra ships would create good balanced games. we're excited about episode 7, but really more of a star trek family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.