Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/impressions-runebo...

Quinns wrote:

Yep! It's big improvement to Runebound 2nd edition, and the best magical questing game I've played (EXCEPT FOR MAGE KNIGHT thanks commenters), but I'm still not sure it's for us.
Not much, but some of us are starving out here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's amazing to me how many blogs there are that are solely for people who don't like any of the same things that I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest that is almost a recommendation for me. A lot of the stuff they hate, I like. And a lot of the stuff they like I hate.

Shrug, that is why it is great there are so many reviewers. I know some people trust them a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
To be honest that is almost a recommendation for me. A lot of the stuff they hate, I like. And a lot of the stuff they like I hate.

Shrug, that is why it is great there are so many reviewers. I know some people trust them a lot.
Pretty much the same for me. All the things they liked, I like. All the things they didn't like (downtime, not being invested in other players turns, lack of in-game table interaction) will either be mitigated at my player count (2 player only), or not an issue (I like multiplayer solitaire sometimes).

I respect the SU&SD team immensely, and like the level of professionalism and polish they bring to the review sphere, but really don't give a toss about their ultimate opinion anymore. That said, I *do* pay attention to their rationales for said opinions, and certainly weigh those, but I long ago learned my tastes don't match Quinns' all that much (Paul is a bit closer, but still different).

(It is worth remembering these guys are relatively new to the hobby).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Awesome feedback in their write up. Sounds like not a game for me either. Will try it if I have a chance, but for now unsubscribe the forum and move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old News
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They mostly make sound judgement calls, but I wouldn't rely solely on their reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old News
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting to me how they suddenly place a great emphasis on player interaction in this game. I haven't heard them complain about that when they reviewed Roll for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OldNews wrote:
It's interesting to me how they suddenly place a great emphasis on player interaction in this game. I haven't heard them complain about that when they reviewed Roll for the Galaxy.

Probably because Roll has more player action, per turn, than this game.

Unless you're just learning the game, often your strategy depends on doing more than you can individually accomplish on a given round. This existed in Race too, but I found it far more apparent in Roll -- the need to synergize off the choices of other players at the table.

Roll is also easier to read than Race, since you can count dice on developments/worlds and more readily tell another player's focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OldNews wrote:

The difference is that with roll for the Galaxy, you take simultaneous actions, so you aren't waiting.

I wouldn't expect them to like this one though, they don't like this type of game. I think the end, though, they had a lot of positive things to say about it. Didn't the review end with something like "it just isn't for us." I think that is the key point. It isn't for them.

I played a lot of talisman as a kid and now I play it with my kids. The fun in that game, win or lose, is the story that unfolds for each player's character. While it isn't your turn, the fun is also watching your friend's stories unfold as well... At least if that is the kind of thing you find fun.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this. It looks like it might scratch that old talisman itch, but be a more interesting and less chaotic game. I'm also hoping for some expansions to play with like a co-op scenario, a mean player-vs-player scenario and a solo scenario. From the outside, it looks like switching the game up like that should be easy... Hope hope...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls