Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to play my copy of the game, and will most likely wait till I have a full table of four. That said, I was curious if adapting this game to a two player, two character approach would be as easy as mathematically determining a TU count that gave parity in actions allotted per run?

Ok, that last sentence was a killer, my apologies. Let me explain with an example:

Say each run in the four player version of Asylum was 10 TU. This would give 40 potential actions over the course of play to the group, at least actions that demanded TU expenditure. So, would it be easy to adopt this for two players, running only a single character each, by giving enough TU to equal the same number of actions as in a four player game? In this case, 20 TU.

Would this work? No spoilers please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See Gerraldo's Variant for Asylum. He addds TU and an extra life token.

The changes will likely differ from case to case, since the mechanics differ. See Rahdo's Variant for Marcy Case. He adds TU and a specific item.

I'm currently playing Asylum using Gerraldo's variant and I find it more immersive than the mission I started with us playing 2 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
See Gerraldo's Variant for Asylum. He addds TU and an extra life token.

The changes will likely differ from case to case, since the mechanics differ. See Rahdo's Variant for Marcy Case. He adds TU and a specific item.

I'm currently playing Asylum using Gerraldo's variant and I find it more immersive than the mission I started with us playing 2 each.
Have there been any situations where 3 characters are necessary, since mechanics exist where stats dice can be combined to overcome tests?

I just want to avoid getting half way into the game and discovering an obstacle was designed for 3 characters rolling dice for any chance of completion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerraldo played through the entire campaign using his variant without any issues. I haven't had any real trouble with stat challenges so far, but we're only 1/3 of the way through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerhard E. Kodys
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Have there been any situations where 3 characters are necessary, since mechanics exist where stats dice can be combined to overcome tests?

I just want to avoid getting half way into the game and discovering an obstacle was designed for 3 characters rolling dice for any chance of completion.
We completed the game in 3 runs with a score of 15 (which seems to be kinda average). AFAIK there is no situation that requires 3 characters at once. We both enjoyed the game a lot and will soon start with Marcy Case (using Rahdos variant).

BTW: Eugenè is more obstructive when playing with just 2 pawns, so we came up with a special rule for him. Moreover it's easier to get killed with just 2 players, so we added +1 health to each character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls