Greg Taylor
United States
Kearny
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We are in the home stretch...

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Products/tabid/58/ProductI...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Amateur AstronomerMicrobadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: 'Come and see the violence inherent in the system!'Microbadge: I ride my bike everywhere!
So expensive to ship to Canada.. I think I have to pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zartan Madinski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Expensive in general.

There was a time when I would just buy without thought. But things are much tighter now.

A hundred bucks for a box containing 8 folded sheets of printed cardboard, 6 punch-out sheets of printed cardboard and 50 or 60 pages of printed cardstock and paper somehow feels excessive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarmao wrote:

A hundred bucks for a box containing 8 folded sheets of printed cardboard, 6 punch-out sheets of printed cardboard and 50 or 60 pages of printed cardstock and paper somehow feels excessive.
Yeah, that part is worth about $50.00.

The part about creating it is worth a lot more than a hundred dollars. A lot more. All the art work had to be recreated from scratch. Never mind the the cost of the boxes, art work, shipping, storing, assembling, advertising and generally running a small business. I am pretty sure nobody makes a living off of ASL; I think they all have ful time jobs, So it's pretty much a labor of love.

But I feel your pain. The good news is that first edition Yanks! prices will drop (unless you have it already) and you can still play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The pirate's life for me!
United States
flag msg tools
pineapples are in my head
badge
"There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay"
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarmao wrote:
aiabx wrote:
Expensive in general.

There was a time when I would just buy without thought. But things are much tighter now.

Sometimes I forget that the entire game is just pieces of paper, and a pair of dice.

I don't know what my point is. But, yikes! Yanks is expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of ASL now is expensive. That is part of what is helping me to wait & not jump in right now. The other is that ASLSK is plenty of a stretch for my son, so no need to step up yet--and maybe I'll find the rest of my end-of-AH-days set (where oh where did I hide the rulebook & mounted maps from myself?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarmao wrote:
What is the cheapest game you can find that has two full-size cardstock wargaming maps and 6 full countersheets? A serious question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChemistMicrobadge: I use free shipping as an excuse to buy more gamesMicrobadge: Toilet PaperMicrobadge: Wargamer of 30+ yearsMicrobadge: Happy to be a carbon-based lifeform!
Kris2476 wrote:
Sometimes I forget that the entire game is just pieces of paper, and a pair of dice.

I don't know what my point is. But, yikes! Yanks is expensive.
...and it doesn't even come with dice:
American Chapter H
eight mapboards (16-19, 24, 40-41, and 46)
40 scenarios
six countersheets (1/2” and 5/8”)
one box & lid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris gammon
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So much for NAFTA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zartan Madinski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
All of ASL now is expensive. That is part of what is helping me to wait & not jump in right now. The other is that ASLSK is plenty of a stretch for my son, so no need to step up yet--and maybe I'll find the rest of my end-of-AH-days set (where oh where did I hide the rulebook & mounted maps from myself?).
I'm just glad I had a fair amount of disposable income back when I first got into the game a few years ago. Bought a ton of stuff, both new and used, back then. So I don't really need to buy more.

But ASL can be fairly reasonably priced if you have local opponents. Just buy the new reduced size rulebook, a copy of the Le Franc Tireur Rat Charts and a used copy of Beyond Valor. Then you can essentially play forever because your opponents will always have a ton of stuff that they buy and want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
I'm betting it's even more expensive to Norway. But it doesn't matter. The one (or if we're lucky two) ASL core module(s) which are printed each year will be bought, no matter what. With that perspective it doesn't matter much if the shipping is $20 or $70 (it was actually $74).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Geada
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What is the cheapest game you can find that has two full-size cardstock wargaming maps and 6 full countersheets? A serious question.
Not necessarily cheapest, but definitely cheaper:
La Bataille de Dresde

Currently on preorder for $88 ($92.85 with shipping in US, $109.70 with shipping anywhere in the world). 2 22"x34" maps, 1000+ full color counters (including some metallic colors), includes full rules, charts, scenarios, etc.

As compared to a reprint of Yanks, with the old monochromatic counters, with no rules and reprint of old scenarios.

I like ASL, but MMP is definitely starting to price core ASL high. Not that it matters to must of us ASL purchasers, which is probably what is causing the price to spiral up into insanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgeada wrote:
Quote:
Not necessarily cheapest, but definitely cheaper:
La Bataille de Dresde

Currently on preorder for $88 ($92.85 with shipping in US, $109.70 with shipping anywhere in the world). 2 22"x34" maps, 1000+ full color counters (including some metallic colors), includes full rules, charts, scenarios, etc.
Good find! Of course, the Dresde maps aren't cardstock, and neither will it include a couple dozen cardstock pages for scenarios, I imagine, but I am not an aficionado of that particular series.

In any case, a difference of less than 10% in cost does not suggest ASL pricing is "excessive".

Quote:
As compared to a reprint of Yanks, with the old monochromatic counters, with no rules and reprint of old scenarios.
There are plenty of rules: all the chapter H pages will be included. I wouldn't be dismissive of 40 scenarios either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it won't have the old monochromatic counters.

It'll have new monochromatic counters!

(Same great taste, less side-nibs!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Geada
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In any case, a difference of less than 10% in cost does not suggest ASL pricing is "excessive".
Fair enough. In any case, it is only excessive when us ASL fanatics stop buying shake ; but being a "grognard" does entitle one to grumble about the bank account reduction.

And sure, the price difference isn't huge; in its defense, Dresde is a new game in the La Bataille series, not a reprint of an already existing module and scenarios. (and the re-balancing of the old scenarios included in Yanks very likely done by players/volunteers)

I just honestly don't see any significant value in this release of Yanks for anybody that already owns version 1; but clearly enough other people do that the preorder counter is ticking up pretty quickly. As long as other people keep MMP alive to print the modules I still want (Hollow Legions v2, Korea, ...), all is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL isn't cheap, but Yanks is priced as I expected: About the same as Beyond Valor. At least it's cheaper than Rising Sun.

Some people always underestimate the value of intellectual property and the amount of work put into design. Even for a reprint I suspect this takes time, at least when they don't have files they can just send to the printer. How much this work is going to cost us depends on how many copies MMP expect to sell and their profit margin. It's impossible to compare two different games, because the number of copies may be vastly different, and a bigger company may be willing to take a higher risk, and set a price which may not be profitable if sales are not as high as expected.

It's just like when people complain about Kindle prices. Do they really think a hardbound book is expensive to produce, and that this production cost is the reason it is expensive? You pay to get the book early, that's why it's expensive. You just get a hardbound edition to make it a little bit more attractive to buy it early.

The point is, ASL Yanks is a little bit more than '8 folded sheets of printed cardboard, 6 punch-out sheets of printed cardboard and 50 or 60 pages of printed cardstock'.

Hope this didn't come off as harsh. It sure wasn't meant that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Enemy Action Ardennes fanMicrobadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: Up Front fanMicrobadge: Call of Cthulhu RPG fan
I agree that shipping, especially here to the Olde Worlde, is expensive, but otherwise I don't agree at all. Pre-order price is $96. There are 40 scenarios so price for one scenario is $2.4. If I play through all the scenarios and spend around 2,5 hours with each one, the total cost is $1 for each hour spent with the product. I can think of quite a few hobbies that are more expensive than this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgeada wrote:
I just honestly don't see any significant value in this release of Yanks for anybody that already owns version 1; but clearly enough other people do that the preorder counter is ticking up pretty quickly. As long as other people keep MMP alive to print the modules I still want (Hollow Legions v2, Korea, ...), all is good.
The images and info on MMPs counters are larger and crisper than the old AH ones (tighter margins on die cutting allows more usable space on each counter). That alone seems worth it to me. Rebalance scenarios are a bonus, reprinted H pages with errata also good.

I can totally understand why someone wouldn't want to buy it over, I really do, but I feel I'm getting my money's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll buy it from a Spanish dealer. Shipping costs and toll taxes are prohibitive even with preorder price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not cheap, but not really gouging, either. As Hawkeye noted, this isn't exactly a straight reprint of the old AH release, and there is a lot more work involved in it than that. I'm definitely buying it, as I was sort of away from boardgaming when Yanks originally came out, and I never got around to buying it. Also, MMP always does really nice work.

The price is more or less in line with the other 'core' ASL products MMP has released - whether it is 'worth it' is of course everyone's individual decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgeada wrote:
I like ASL, but MMP is definitely starting to price core ASL high....
From what I understand, it is mostly due to increases in production costs in the U.S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Amateur AstronomerMicrobadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: 'Come and see the violence inherent in the system!'Microbadge: I ride my bike everywhere!
If I didn't have Yanks 1, I wouldn't hesitate for a second, no matter what the cost. But the upgrade isn't worth the cost to me when you factor in currency exchange and shipping. Not MMP's fault, but what a you going to do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
If I didn't have Yanks 1, I wouldn't hesitate for a second, no matter what the cost.
This was my situation, so I didn't hesitate. $170 with shipping, and I will probably have to pay an additional $50 in customs charges. But what am I going to do? No store sells ASL or other MMP products in Norway anymore, and I'm not going to live without the american OOB. Not only does Yanks contain 40 scenarios, it lets me play other scenarios I own, from Rising Sun and other sources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got Rising Sun and FKaC from Cool Stuff Inc. at a great price and with free shipping (to the US with $100 minimum.) So I'm thinking I might wait this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet Andrzejczyk
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered my copy as soon as I saw the email. I'm looking forward to starting full ASL. I still have my original Squad Leader plus Gamettes so I can compare boards and counters. Where is the mailman...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |