Subject: Strategy for Yig rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eugenio -
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is meant as a followup to this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1198460/strategy-each-ancien....

Disclaimer: This guide takes into account only the Forsaken Lore expansion. It shouldn't differ too much from what you can experience by adding in Mountains of Madness (unless you also setup the Antarctica side board), while I don't know about Strange Remnants.

My first advice for Yig is to avoid playing against it (him?) with less than 4 investigators, unless you're ok with losing a lot without having the chance to really influence the outcome. Why?
First off, as a general rule, if the investigators coordinate well, a game with more investigators is generally easier than one with less, since you can better leverage the different strengths of the investigators and pursue more complex strategies (one big exception: playing 5 investigator vs playing 4, due to the extra Gate spawn with 5). Since Yig is already a very difficult AO to beat -probably the most difficult one- it's a good idea trying to mitigate the difficulty a bit if possible.
Second, Mysteries like 'The Serpent Crown' and the 'Children of Yig' are much harder with less investigators: the first one requires you to find a fixed number of things (the Allies and the Artifact) regardless of the number of investigators, so that it's much harder to solve it when there are fewer.
Third, but perhaps most important, Yig's reckoning ability can really wreck the investigators if they cannot afford to place one near/on the Expedition space to prevent Doom from advancing too quickly (what I call "Expedition Garrisoning").
So let's assume there are at least 4-5 investigators on the board (otherwise I think no guide is ever going to help you anyway ).
What I usually do at the start is having one investigator rush to the Expedition space and stationing near or directly on the space for the first rounds of the game.
Eventually, the moment will come when garrisoning the Expedition will no longer be convenient; deciding when you should abandon it to its fate isn't always simple though. As a general rule I tend to keep a close eye on the number of gates: as soon as there are a too many (let's say 5+), I tend to abandon the Expedition and start focusing completely on closing Gates and resolving Mysteries.
Important tip: try resisting the temptation to resolve the Expedition encounter to maybe gain an Artifact or retreat Doom: that's way too risky and usually not worth the reward, just be content to prevent Doom from advancing [unless you need the Artifact for the Serpent Crown Mystery, but for that I usually acquire the Puzzle Box and refrain from opening it unless I'm sure that Mystery cannot come up].
The other investigators will need to split the rest of the tasks (closing Gates, acquiring Assets, working towards the Mystery) as usual: there is no given rule for what they should do, my advice is to always keep in mind you need to keep work toward building the strength of a couple of investigators, while being ready to sacrifice the others if need be.
That Yig will awaken is almost a given: it happened to me a few glorious times to win before he did, but you cannot count on that. However if you did a good job during the first part of the game, bulding up strength and keeping gate-count low, you'll have quite some time to defeat him after he awakens without suffering from very hampering abilities (like Cthulhu's).
What is really important against Yig is for every investigator to be able to handle some combat while also having a couple of dedicated good fighters. This is needed because of Yig's Cultist-spawning ability, the increased strength of the Cultists after he awakens, and the fact the monsters in the cup are tougher - due to having the Cultists removed from there.
So, I think against Yig we're aiming for a long-term strategy: this means acquiring Asset is even more important than usual, so be greedy! especially in the first 3-4 rounds. Spells however are usually not as good since they do not help with combat as much as Assets do and they also require a longer setup (because you need someone stationing in Arkham-Buenos Aires for some time).

My starting teams against Yig almost always include:
- Charlie Kane. When having Assets is critical for every investigator, Charlie is a must. Of course you might want to let him go at some point, the usual 'Charlie conundrum'.
- Jacqueline Fine. Research Encounters are horrible, and you also want to be able to move clues for the Serpent Crow, since it's a pain to collect everything you need for that on a single investigator; Flesh Ward is awesome to avoid Poisoning for the Investigator garrisoning the Expedition, and her passive is likely to trigger often will all those nasty FL encounters.
- Leo Anderson. He is the best Investigator to garrison the Expedition: he has a very useful action he can perform on a Wilderness space and has very nice boosts for fighting there. He also helps for the Serpent Crown (which by now you probably have recognised as the Mystery that haunts my sleep).

The other strong candidates I usually consider are:

- Lola Hayes. She's able to perform Acquire Assets amazingly well, very flexible: she can fight Cultists easily with just a weapon and is very good at closing gates. She also likes long-term strategies, so she's a very good fit.

- Akachi Onyele. Her ability to close gates everywhere without having to spend actions to Travel makes her able to frequently Rest, allowing her a nice survivability. She has a hard time improving over the course of the game, but in team with Charlie she probably is the best Closer in the game: she is an awesome recipient for all the Assets that help closing Gates because she is assured to put them to good use, since her ability grants her the chance to try a closing every round.

- Trish Scarborough. More Clues, she starts strong for combat and covers Leo well in his Exp-garrisoning role: if the expedition is in Tunguska or the Pyramids she can reach it very quickly.

- Jim Culver. To replace Charlie Kane, mainly. His passive ability and Shriveling are very useful against Yig, and he also starts very near to the Central America.

What you want to do is break down the game in two parts: use the first part of the game, that is before Yig awakens, to build up strength (Assets) and keeping gates under control. Solve at least one Mystery while working towards the second.
As soon as Yig awakens you want to have no more than 5 Gates on the board so that you can control the pace at which the Doom track advances: at this point your main goal will be keeping the gate-count low while rushing to solve the remaining Myseries. When you're ready, beating Yig himself should be relatively easy due to all the previous buildup (Instill Bravery and Holy water help a lot, as does Urban Guide).
Be efficient so that you can use every spare action to acquire Assets; the only relative advantage you have when playing against Yig is that you will have some time to stop him, but you need to improve your ability to take on Monsters and closing Gates constantly; you will be hard-pressed at the beginning, but if you can develop quickly enough you will win the game.

Hope that's enough to prevent you from succumbing to madness, if you have any further questions just ask!

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben
Belgium
Transylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for this strategy guide,
Yig has been one of the GOO that keeps beating us.

Only one question for you since you have your team setup figured out, I tought Diana would be a good choice as well with her ability to stop monsters and cultists, seeing how the serpent cultists are so hard.
What's your take on adding her?

kind regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugenio -
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your kind words, Ruben.
It's been a while since I played so take this with a grain of salt, but I remember the main problem with Diana being that you want to build her up as a powerful late-game investigator but if she ever gets a Madness her low Will makes that very risky.
Also, her ability to remove Cultists might seem very handy but I actually found it of limited use: not just because it requires an action, but also because if you are having trouble defeating mass Cultists by the time Yig awakens, you don't stand many chances of winning the game, seeing as Yig is pretty combat-intensive.
Try to build up 1-2 powerful fighting investigators, possibly with the awesome Lodge Researcher, and you'll notice those Cultists aren't that scary - with the Researcher you'll actually be happy to fight them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
come read articles and talk games on therewillbe.games
Microbadge: Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant fanMicrobadge: Follow me on InstagramMicrobadge: There Will Be Games fanMicrobadge: Theseus: The Dark Orbit fanMicrobadge: Root fan
Very helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oded K
msg tools
I would add that if you are using the expansions, and picking investigators in advance, then there are a couple of more investigators you should consider:
Monterey Jack: Pretty much renders Yig completely powerless.
Ursula Downs: Her ability to reach expedition places faster is invaluable against Yig.
And I also agree that Diana is one of the better investigators against Yig, especially if you can get her a Plumb the Void spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Deleu
Germany
flag msg tools
Okay, so I kinda went with a simillar startegy as you suggested, we run out of Mythos cards, like, seconds after Yig woke up?

How can solve two mysteries and defeat an Old One in such a short amount of time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugenio -
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMPLORD wrote:
Okay, so I kinda went with a simillar startegy as you suggested, we run out of Mythos cards, like, seconds after Yig woke up?

How can solve two mysteries and defeat an Old One in such a short amount of time?
It's been years now since I last played, so I can't really help you with more detail than what I wrote in the OP, since I don't remember anything anymore. What I can tell you for sure is that I used to beat Yig very reliably (managed to win 3 or 4 in a row once, I think), so it's definetly doable - but not easy: took me a lot of tries to figure the perfect strategy out.
Are you maybe playing with 2-3 investigators?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sun
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to assume core heroes only and only Forsaken Lore expansion, no others.

Im going with OP and saying 4 is best. But if you must, play with 6 and include Trish Scarborough and Jacqueline Fine for the clue generation.

- Charlie Kane : is mandatory if you havent beaten Yig before. For price of 1 guy, the rest can do whatever they want. Charlie Kane can spend the first 3-5 turns doing nothing but Acquire (Take Debt) then Clear Debt. There is no reason not to (or rather, ask yourself when you are not doing so) take debt on Charlie Kane when you need to cycle through the Reserves quickly and gear 3-5 others for whats to come. Charlie has an almost 100% chance (Influence 4 plus PA 2) of clearing Debt in the same turn, so whenever youre not taking debt, it should be because you need that 2nd action for something (or someone) else. Essentially, Charlie takes the Influence skill for everyone and chucks it out the window. Late game if hes still alive, giving others an action is worth its weight in gold.

- Lily Chen : With her Lucky Rabbits Foot, Lily is effectively nearly a 3 in Lore Influence Observation. She starts in Shanghai if you want Lore (+2 with her special for Lore4 then reroll from item) and is only two steps from Sydney for more Strength. A well rounded gate closer and combatant, Lily recovers quickly especially if Charlie grants her an action to spread out her damage taken to Health and Sanity. Not every game goes Lily's way, and in the offchance if she does poorly early on, try and run her down and pass her fantastic items to others. Lucky Rabbits Foot is very powerful, and Amulet of Protection is very good for Diane.

- Trish Scarborough : Trish is a good dual purpose character against Yig. In wilderness she can form her own clues while resting, and her observation stands her well in Yig encounters. Given enough time, Trish also allows you to ignore most Research encounters, and as anyone who tried Yig a couple of time knows, Yig Research sucks (see below). Playing Trish also requires some preplanning - always have 1 clue on hand, and if you know shes got spare action next turn, spend the clue and reroll twice

- Diane Stanley : Best used if you have ONLY core + 1 expansion. This gives you a very good chance of getting Vatican Missionary (VM) which she absolutely needs to function as a consistent combat monster and brings her from above average Gate Closer to a superb one. If you are not sure you can get VM (and usually will not be sure) try to move her (to Rome I think) to improve Will. At Will2 or Will3 (or just VM), she is effectively a perfect character (especially with Charlie Kane).
With base Str3, Diane does NOT always need spells, she can get by with a weapon (Charlie Kane will provide). Casting spells often drains her Sanity, which has a low cap and forces her to rest.
Lastly, if you want to pick up spells, the core+1 has fewer spells and will better the odds you get the decent spells, since you cant get any spell more than once. Cycling the reserve deck for Arcane Tome is also invaluable if you decide to take her down spellcaster route, spending too much time in Buenos Aires / Arkham is a trap.

- Leo Anderson / Silas Marsh : i use a slash because you generally want either one or the other. Silas has mobility while Leo has bonuses and out of city actions. IMO against Yig, I feel Leo wins out by a bit. Note that with his low Sanity, Silas is easily crippled by Poison.

=========

Some characters to avoid, and where I may disagree with OP

- Lola Hayes is a slow character, and her strength in Influence and low base combat stats gives her little purpose in a game where you already have Charlie Kane. If you need flexibility from the get go, try Lily Chen

- Akachi Onyele is one trick, and not even that good at it. Against Yig and most GOOs, you need heroes with 2 or more uses, and Akachi lags behind.

- Jim Culver. He does one thing well, and is more valuable tagging with others. Which in a game of 4 or even 6, doesnt have much room for tag along band. Yig has relatively little sanity damage compared to Cthulhu as well. Read a guide, did some homework. He should be a pretty solid choice, plus decent Lore. Some Observation assets and probably gold. Just my theory though, no personal experience.

- Mark Harrigan.

- Norman Withers.

=========

Some Notes

- Lore : the Core game doesnt have a good spread of Lore characters that can also fight (Akachi, Diane, Norman, Jacqueline). Remember out of your 4 characters, you need at least 1 decent Lore character, and she will often move to close Gates. Lily Chen with Lore4 Str6 after improvements is an extremely good supplement, plus she starts on Shanghai. If Diane Stanley is your primary Lore character, keep her mobile to deal with Gates.

- Yig Research : Yig Research often comes with Cultist ambushes, and those ambushes often result in Poison. If the character isnt Dual Use (ie cant fight), do NOT do Research encounters, unless you are OK losing them (eg Charlie Outlived his usefulness). This means unlike in other games, Charlie and Jacqueline are NOT effective Researchers for a Yig run. Apart from that, Yig Research often is clue-less, you can literally draw a Research encounter where you pass every test and get NO CLUE. Trish is really handy for this.

- Yig Combat: what? Yes, lol, he has a section here. Quite a few Yig combats has an Observation component. You either Observe then get ambushed, or you have to pass an Observation in place of Horror (yes, that one). ALL of your combat investigators ought to have Observation 3 or equivalent (eg Lily Chen with Lucky Rabbits Foot)

- Focus: Yig is not about Focus, and Forsaken Lore doesnt have this rule. While Focus is a good action, you are usually foregoing a better action with good planning. Even if you get your ducks lined up, Yig might awaken, so dont waste too much time on Focus action. I might even contend that spending an action to Focus is a trap. Hence, either dont do it, or better yet, run the game without the Focus rule (ie as if Core plus Forsaken Lore)

- Improvement: Charlie Kane can quite reliably get everyone the gear they need, so improvement is generally a luxury rather than mandatory. Strength items abound as well. Generally speaking, the really important Improvements are Lore for Lily Chen, and maybe Will for VM-less Diane Stanley. Everything else is optional.

======

Special: Jacqueline Fine

A good addition, but only if you are confident your two combat monsters are very mobile. If you are in a 4person party using Jacqueline, I feel the value of Silas Marsh increases a fair bit over Leo Anderson as he needs to cover more things apart from "expedition garrisoning."

Unlike Charlie Kane who is typically stationary, Jacqueline usually has 1 or 2 actions to move around, and she is a terrific Gate Closer. However, she can't deal with monsters, and needs Mists of Releh or other similar to close Gates ; even then someone else has to follow up to kill the monster.

She works well with Trish also to take her clues, but it costs her (and Trish) an action. Because 4 players requires mobility and good action economy, spending 2 actions out of 8 player actions to generate clues is not very ideal, unless you need the clues for the Mystery or a really bad Rumor.

One area Jacqueline truly shines is status and clues. Yig will throw out a lot of statuses, especially Poison, and Jacqueline will help everyone (but herself) manage it like a pro.
Jacqueline is probably a better clue generator than Trish, but shes not able to do much else.

When you have little use for clues, give them to those who need rerolls. Trish loves those spare clues, double rerolls rock.

============

Suggested House Rule

- spend a whole turn (2 actions) to retire an Investigator and pick another.

- If you need to house rule further, the to-be-retired Investigator must go to the starting square of the new Investigator and then spend 2 actions. However, the new Investigator starts with all the items of the retiree.

- In a 4man, especially one with Trish, Jacqueline Fine is an insanely good replacement for Charlie. Assume you dont get a (the?) clue intensive mystery as the first one, subbing him for Jacqueline is very helpful as the Mystery opens

- This can also be used to retire someone with crippling Poison status.

- When you have beat Yig twice, scrap the house rule.

============

Suggested 4 Player Teams

- Charlie Kane, Leo Anderson, Lily Chen, Diane Stanley

- Charlie Kane, Trish Scarborough, Lily Chen, Diane Stanley : This team becomes more effective in mid/late game if you allow Charlie to be replaced by Jacqueline.

Suggested 6 Player Team

- Charlie Kane, Leo Anderson, Lily Chen, Diane Stanley, Jacqueline Fine, Trish Scarborough

Note: If you lose Charlie Kane early in the game, *really* want to beat Yig and have time, suggest re-trying. He is that important.

To save time and avoid too many arguments, play with 1 other enthusiastic friend. Each control 2 or 3 investigators. And maybe ask him to check out this post too lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls