Hide
9 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: What's the point of healing permanent injuries? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E Licious
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Ares Games "Sword & Sorcery" Contest participantMicrobadge: Kingdom Death fan - Watcher CrestMicrobadge: Diablo III fan
Page 44 of the rule book states:

"When you suffer permanent injuries, note the name and rules on your record sheet and adjust the survivor's attributes as necessary. If a permanent injury is healed, erase it from your record sheet."

It does NOT say that you adjust the survivor attributes back when you heal a permanent injury, only to erase it from your record sheet. So if I heal a broken arm, I don't get the lost -1 acc and -1 str back, yet the arm is vulnerable to be broken again and taking another acc/str loss. Why would I ever heal it?

On a somewhat similar note, are bleeding tokens only healed when I return from the showdown? Does a survivor have to be in the showdown to heal bleeding tokens? I have a survivor bleeding in the settlement but not exactly sure when he heals. Page 44 also states:

:"If a survivor has 5 or more bleeding tokens, they are dead. All tokens are removed at the end of each showdown."

Does that mean for all survivors in your whole colony? Or just the ones in the showdown? If it's just for the survivors in the showdown, that means a survivor can stay bleeding in the settlement for years. That seems kind of silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Kingdom Death fan - Watcher CrestMicrobadge: Platinum Image UploaderMicrobadge: Copper Session ReporterMicrobadge: Copper Reviewer
Unclear if stat penalties should be accounted for, but for starters, deaf is really bad in a fight, even on top of the evasion penalty. However, I think the intent is to reverse associated stat penalties, too, for the reasons you stated.

2- also unclear. We've been playing that they are, assuming if there's enough time to clear them while fighting, there's enough outside for those back home.

If you believe in playing "KD is hard so should be hard" I'd say play opposite logic and with RAW. If you agree with the seeming intent, play how makes sense. We can only hope for an actual, factual, official FAQ down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Vazquez
msg tools
Microbadge: Dice (d10) fanMicrobadge: Adam Poots Games "Kingdom Death: Monster" Contest participantMicrobadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fan
Survivors in the settlement don't care about bleeding tokens. There isn't a place to track that information and tokens are supposed to be just that, tokens, temporary modifiers. So you don't have to worry about them on anyone at the settlement. That being said, I can't think of any ways for survivors to even gain bleeding tokens without departing, but then I don't know everything about this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Session ReporterMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
Injury Penalties Example

The rules for broken arm are -1 Accuracy and -1 Strength.

You write this on your record sheet in the Abilities and Impairments section because they are the rules for broken arm.

Then you adjust the figures in the stat boxes to reflect these two penalties.

If your broken arm is healed you rub out the -1 Accuracy and -1 Strength in the Abilities and Impairments section of your record sheet forcing you to adjust the numbers in the stat boxes back up as those penalties no longer exist.

P215 Bleeding Token

“All tokens are removed at the end of each showdown.”

All tokens means all tokens. It doesn’t matter who, what, why or where. Say it with me now. All tokens

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
Microbadge: London fanMicrobadge: Onitama fanMicrobadge: Lords of Waterdeep fanMicrobadge: Blood Bowl: Team Manager - The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Factory Fun fan
I think you're being too strict on the wording, at the expense of doing what makes sense.

ELicious wrote:
Page 44 of the rule book states:

"When you suffer permanent injuries, note the name and rules on your record sheet and adjust the survivor's attributes as necessary. If a permanent injury is healed, erase it from your record sheet."

It does NOT say that you adjust the survivor attributes back when you heal a permanent injury, only to erase it from your record sheet. So if I heal a broken arm, I don't get the lost -1 acc and -1 str back, yet the arm is vulnerable to be broken again and taking another acc/str loss. Why would I ever heal it?
If it worked that way, you logically wouldn't. Realizing that should be a good indication that that's not how it works. Healing the injury removes the stat penalties as well. Erasing the injury and its rules text, which details the stat penalties, lifts the penalties.

ELicious wrote:
On a somewhat similar note, are bleeding tokens only healed when I return from the showdown? Does a survivor have to be in the showdown to heal bleeding tokens? I have a survivor bleeding in the settlement but not exactly sure when he heals. Page 44 also states:

:"If a survivor has 5 or more bleeding tokens, they are dead. All tokens are removed at the end of each showdown."

Does that mean for all survivors in your whole colony? Or just the ones in the showdown? If it's just for the survivors in the showdown, that means a survivor can stay bleeding in the settlement for years. That seems kind of silly.
They're at home. They're safe. Consider:

a) If the survivors are able to tend to their bleeding as soon as the showdown ends, that means that even out in the darkness far from home they're able to tend to such medical needs. If they can handle it out there, there's no way that bleeding can be an issue at home.

b) Returning survivors instantly heal all non-permanent injuries. The settlement is safety, their vitality. I think someone loafing around at home can manage to get their bleeding under control.

c) What Chris said. Tokens are temporary, being used to signify things going on at the moment. If this was a thing that was meant to be tracked, there would be a box for it on the survivor sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Ares Games "Sword & Sorcery" Contest participantMicrobadge: Kingdom Death fan - Watcher CrestMicrobadge: Diablo III fan
poeticallybored wrote:
I think you're being too strict on the wording, at the expense of doing what makes sense.
How can you say this when you were arguing that the butcher could kick an infinite number of times before anyone else could act. In other words, the butcher's kick, and targets knockback happened so fast that it would not take any amount of time. Physically speaking, any human kicked so hard to travel that fast would not survive the shock of being kicked that hard. Yet this makes sense to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
Microbadge: London fanMicrobadge: Onitama fanMicrobadge: Lords of Waterdeep fanMicrobadge: Blood Bowl: Team Manager - The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Factory Fun fan
The designer has confirmed that this is possible, so suck it up, buttercup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
poeticallybored wrote:
Exactly my point! If it makes sense that the butcher can kick infinitely fast then it makes sense that healing a broken arm gives no real tangible benefit save for a card/event that only triggers if you have a broken arm or any permanent injury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fanMicrobadge: 2016 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
ELicious wrote:
poeticallybored wrote:
Exactly my point! If it makes sense that the butcher can kick infinitely fast then it makes sense that healing a broken arm gives no real tangible benefit save for a card/event that only triggers if you have a broken arm or any permanent injury.
Butcher aside, if you're losing an accuracy because you were blind and some shady doctor heals your blindness, wouldn't you gain back that accuracy? If not core stats, what about the ability to wield two handed weapons again in the case of a limb etc.

I don't disagree that if you interpret it a certain way you could make this ambiguous, but if that stance is taken and both options are therefore ambiguous I can see the sense in recovering from the negative attributes upon healing, but not in retaining them.

Finally, on the rules side, the glossary points out for Severe [Location] Injury:

"note the name and rules on your record sheet and adjust their attributes as necessary"

Does the name and rules include suffering attribute losses or not? My vote and interpretation so far has been yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls