1 , 2  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Keystone Dead? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Master of CeremoniesMicrobadge: Yes, I am a chick magnetMicrobadge: Obey the hypnotic powers of my beanie propeller.Microbadge: Everybody's got plans... until they get hitMicrobadge: I got mad nunchuck skills
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/06/politics/keystone-xl-pipeline-...

Good news or bad for America?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is partially built, land has allready been seized from citizens at the state level. It will finish somehow, this just lowers the amount of handouts available for it and require some rerouting, for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Bad news of course, but once we've got an adult in the White House we can overturn this pretty quickly.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Bad news of course, but once we've got an adult in the White House we can overturn this pretty quickly.
Oh yes, Obama is such a child. His petulance knows no bounds. Wait, are we talking about Obama or House Republicans? I'm confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

Oh yes, Obama is such a child. His petulance knows no bounds. Wait, are we talking about Obama or House Republicans? I'm confused.

Honestly both Obama and most of the Democrats, together with some of the Republicans (though probably not the ones you mean). Boehner and McConnell are just jokes--I had such high hopes for them once Congress was returned to the Republicans, but sadly that was not to be.

I'd like to sweep them all out of office but I'll take what I can get.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

did you really just use a "I know you are but what am I" comeback?

lawl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
verandi wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

did you really just use a "I know you are but what am I" comeback?

lawl
Well, there is ample evidence of Republican petulance, but I haven't see any appreciable evidence for Obama, so it is a valid observation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
We're up from what, fifty thousand to a million barrels a day being transported by rail? Half a dozen fiery train explosions a year due to a combination of speed, weight, antiquated cars, and antiquated rails?

The oil will be moved one way or another. My two cents is that it's better to build a pipeline than it is to ship it by rail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of building a pipeline, we can just use Trucks to transport it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With the election of a Prime Minister less enthusiastic about the project and an economic climate in which the project is profitable for now anyway, this was just a chance for President Obama to score some points with environmentalists without actually having to make a tough or difficult call. If oil prices go up again, this project will be right back on the agenda...the economic scenario for that will just conveniently be after Obama's out of office, so his hands can be clean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
We're up from what, fifty thousand to a million barrels a day being transported by rail? Half a dozen fiery train explosions a year due to a combination of speed, weight, antiquated cars, and antiquated rails?

The oil will be moved one way or another. My two cents is that it's better to build a pipeline than it is to ship it by rail.

So you support sacrificing personal property rights for the benefit of society. Hey, if it actually benefits society and there is no alternative, I'm on board. If this just a question of convenience for a Canadian energy company and a couple of partners in the U.S., I'm not sympathetic.

If you can't buy the required land on the market, then you have to buy updated rail cars and demand rail companies upgrade their infrastructure. Then you pass on those costs to your consumers. Then consumers decide if your energy source is, in fact, economical. Otherwise we are subsidizing private profit making companies with the wealth of a few affected land owners.

If energy transport and consumption is essential to the health of the economy and its stability, I think nationalizing it in the name of National Defense is in order. We should just stop half assing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very legal & very cool
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
Yes, but now Canada has their own Obama.
It's hard to understand that in the context of a system whose ideological baseline is so far to the left of ours. I mean Canadians already have real, honest-to-goodness murderous socialized medicine, and did their Conservatives even vote once to repeal this affront to Civilisation throughout a decade in power?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
I realize you're very stupid but Trudeau campaigned in favour of Keystone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Delivering oil is safer and cheaper by pipeline then it is using Warren Buffet's rail line (BNSF). There is no way Warren will allow Obama to pass it if it makes it to his desk.

I am amazed that the so called environmentalists prefer rail over pipe in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:

I concur sir.

So question about your name: What was your favorite SPI game? I played many SPI and Avalon Hill ones back in the day.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

Well, there is ample evidence of Republican petulance, but I haven't see any appreciable evidence for Obama, so it is a valid observation.
You haven't been paying attention then.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

I am amazed that the so called environmentalists prefer rail of pipe in this regard.
I suppose it's because every liberal is not an environmentalist. Every environmentalist isn't oblivious to the dangers of eminent domain. Some environmentalists don't want Canadian oil to travel to the Gulf through the U.S. by rail or pipe. Some environmentalists aren't knowledgeable about the risks involved in both forms of transit and have been lied to by energy companies so many times in the past that they have trust issues.

There are many reasons you don't have to be amazed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
Neither of you have any idea what you're talking about.

(fyi - Trudeau is for the XL pipeline, not against).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
Neither of you have any idea what you're talking about.

(fyi - Trudeau is for the XL pipeline, not against).
With respect, you are mistaken -- I didn't say anything about Trudeau.

You unfairly characterize me sir.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of Trudeau and the pipeline.. front page news on CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-keystone-pipeline-tru...

Justin Trudeau 'disappointed' with U.S. rejection of Keystone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
Speaking of Trudeau and the pipeline.. front page news on CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-keystone-pipeline-tru...

Justin Trudeau 'disappointed' with U.S. rejection of Keystone

Well, well, well, the Canadian Putin shows his true colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Of course Trudeau is for the pipeline. It would be a huge boon for "his" country. Canadian Oil, for a Canadian oil company getting a cheap pass through NOT Canada, not taking over Canadian owned land...What's not to like?
I don't understand why they don't just build a refinery in Canada...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:

Environmentalists who are sympathetic to conspiracy theories might say that Refineries are the traditional choke point to keep gas prices from dropping too far when oil prices tank. The oil companies are allegedly hesitant to add any capacity anywhere because of it. Sort of a "price fixing" scheme where supply can be artificially constrained, then they blame the inability to add capacity to environmentalist permit-blocking. I'm not sure if it is true or not, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:

I concur sir.

So question about your name: What was your favorite SPI game? I played many SPI and Avalon Hill ones back in the day.

Ferret
How dare you discuss games in RSP?!?!?! Anyway, if I had to pick one:

A Bridge Too Far: Arnhem

The simplicity of the SPI quads combined with the desperation of Operation Market-Garden. Like the real campaign, it's tough going for the Allies. It's also more difficult to play the Germans well, so that evens out some of the bias.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

Environmentalists who are sympathetic to conspiracy theories might say that Refineries are the traditional choke point to keep gas prices from dropping too far when oil prices tank. The oil companies are allegedly hesitant to add any capacity anywhere because of it. Sort of a "price fixing" scheme where supply can be artificially constrained, then they blame the inability to add capacity to environmentalist permit-blocking. I'm not sure if it is true or not, but I wouldn't put it past them.
The problem with refineries is that they're a nightmare from a permitting and regulatory standpoint. That makes them a lot less profitable than drilling and selling refined products in the marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |