Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an (admittedly) big challenge for Petersen Games to offer a storage solution that meets their backers' needs. Many of us will only have the base game. Some will have an expansion or two. Others will have EVERYTHING, all add-ons and stretch goal content.

I think the key is to make a storage solution that is modular somehow. Something that lets you add on to it depending on what you have.

So let's hear it- how do you plan on storing/transporting your Cthulhu Wars game? Please share so others can do the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One option:

Really Useful Boxes

http://www.amazon.com/Really-Useful-Boxes-17-Liter-Plastic/d...

Different sizes and colors are available.
Lids snap on tightly to keep contents intact.
Has large handles for carrying.
Inexpensive at $17 USD each.
Can bolt box to the lid beneath it so it stacks nicely, as seen in this video:

The main downside to this is that this can get heavy, so may need to figure out a wheeled base that could be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option:

Protector Series 4 Pistol Plano Case

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-Company-Protector-X-Larg...

(Guns not included!) whistle

With 2 layers of foam padding, especially good for painted figures.
Fairly inexpensive, $25 USD each.
Handles for easy carrying. These are also stackable and you could run a strap around them to keep them together for transport.
Can customize the foam padding for the figures you'll be carrying.
Example video of this in use is here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking battlefoam trays. The core set is available, so we'd need one (or more) for each expansion. People can buy the foams for the expansions they have. They can also buy the battlefoam bags as needed.

E.g. the P.A.C.K. 1520. It has wheels and can have a lot of foam.

Then, if you need more room, you can add the P.A.C.K. plus to add on top of it. you can stack them and attach them to each other. Or if that would be too much, a second P.A.C.K. 1520.

We basically have everything we need, except for the custom foam instead of pluck foam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie, roughly how much does that cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how much you need. One large bag with full pluck foam is $200. Custom load is $300 . So pretty expensive, but very handy.

Edit: I think Arthur mentioned the complete first kickstarter needs two bags at least. So maybe we'd need two bags and one extension for everything. I'm probably going to start with one and see where that gets me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the artificer
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Since I mostly game at home my plan for a complete storage solution is likely a bit different than most gamers.

My plan is to build a rather large wooden chest (in Walnut) that will accommodate EVERYTHING.

Low pull out drawers on the bottom for the maps and their bits,

slide out drawers in the center for the expansion factions, monsters, and GOOs (think of slightly larger card catalog drawers {for those old enough to know what a card catalog is, LOL}),

and a lift off box at the top which will contain the core 4 factions, maps, and other core components in various dividers.

I plan on inlaying an Elder Sign (the proper branch one) in silver on the top.

After all, I built the table we play the game on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
I'm thinking battlefoam trays. The core set is available, so we'd need one (or more) for each expansion. People can buy the foams for the expansions they have. They can also buy the battlefoam bags as needed.

Then, if you need more room, you can add the P.A.C.K. plus to add on top of it. you can stack them and attach them to each other. Or if that would be too much, a second P.A.C.K. 1520.

We basically have everything we need, except for the custom foam instead of pluck foam.
We used that big wheeled one for the prototypes of everything last year. It took 2 of them, and didn't quite hold it all still. With ALL the 02 stuff, I'd say it will require 2.5 of those guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunken Boxer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:

We used that big wheeled one for the prototypes of everything last year. It took 2 of them, and didn't quite hold it all still. With ALL the 02 stuff, I'd say it will require 2.5 of those guys.
Just a heads up/reminder for anyone considering the Battlefoam storage method: Battlefoam annually has a 25% off sale for Black Friday. So if you're going to make the leap, especially with that much of an investment, that's the time to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature Market offers some DIY solution, but clearly a DVM (or more) requires several bags...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R. Nielsen-Doss
United States
Hudson Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is the route we are thinking of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit, do you have a link/more information on that solution?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R. Nielsen-Doss
United States
Hudson Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellikin wrote:
Pit, do you have a link/more information on that solution?

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/table-top-miniatures/supplies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sakerio! That's actually a lot more reasonable cost-wise than I was expecting.

You could combine the foam trays with the Really Useful Boxes I linked at the start of this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickaël Garcin
France
Saint Ouen
Seine Saint Denis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy proposed in a poll a 'designer box' à la smallworld. It could be great to have a battlefoam-like option as well (less costly and probably lighter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question for you Pit -

What type of bag are you using with those foam trays? And are the red dividers part of the trays, or something else?

Edit: I just found the answer. Looks like the dividers are glued on to the foam trays, and the bag is probably this one:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/40543...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Proto
msg tools
I'm planning on making foam core trays for each of the factions. I'll also be making trays for all other components: map boards, plastic gates, dice etc. I'll also be making a box out of foam core for what I have now and the incoming expansions (Windwalker, Sleeper, and Opener). Once Onslaught 2 arrives(I'm getting all 2-5 player Map Expansions, Azathoth along with The Million Favored Ones), I'll make trays for all of the new stuff, and then make a more permanent, sturdy, box out of - probably plywood.

I really like the idea of each faction being separated and people just pulling out the tray they need to set up the game. Its the first foam core tray I'm doing - so it may fail miserably - but, I'll try and document my process for anyone interested in iterating on the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellikin wrote:
One more question for you Pit -

What type of bag are you using with those foam trays? And are the red dividers part of the trays, or something else?

Edit: I just found the answer. Looks like the dividers are glued on to the foam trays, and the bag is probably this one:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/40543...
You're absolutly correct Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Mr Otorp wrote:
I'm planning on making foam core trays for each of the factions. I'll also be making trays for all other components: map boards, plastic gates, dice etc. I'll also be making a box out of foam core for what I have now and the incoming expansions (Windwalker, Sleeper, and Opener). Once Onslaught 2 arrives(I'm getting all 2-5 player Map Expansions, Azathoth along with The Million Favored Ones), I'll make trays for all of the new stuff, and then make a more permanent, sturdy, box out of - probably plywood.

I really like the idea of each faction being separated and people just pulling out the tray they need to set up the game. Its the first foam core tray I'm doing - so it may fail miserably - but, I'll try and document my process for anyone interested in iterating on the idea.
You should make the 'lid' of the tray be the cardboard faction card that snaps in on top. Or maybe slides in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Proto
msg tools
I was planning on creating a shelf (more like a cubby hole) on the underside of the tray that the faction card slides into. I'm liking the idea of pulling out the tray and being able to see the models. I like the idea of that visual impact. But, as I'm working on it, I'll certainly consider the "lid" idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellikin wrote:
Yes, these are the Game+Plus bags : https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1370009/gameplus-foam-trays...

Miniature Market has a Black Friday sale, and I've seen these trays and the bag on sale from them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KRMulticase said they were going to make a Cthulhu Wars pre-cut storage solution earlier this year, but so far it doesn't seem to have happened. Of course they do have the trays and bags to make your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the all suggestions everyone. Lots of great ideas!

This reminds me of this scene about finding just the right luggage, and could easily apply to finding just the right case for Cthulhu Wars (including the inner sanctum they store it in).

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Proto
msg tools
Well, I've completed 2 of the 4 Base Faction Trays for my DIY Foam Core Storage system. Here's a (very brief) overview of the process using Black Goat:

I first started with a plan:

And then I went with a different layout that could hold the incoming High Priests, and eventual Brain Cylinders and Brood Tokens that will be coming with Onslaught Two's arrival. I drew that plan around the figures on paper so I could take some measurements.

Next, I cut out all the necessary pieces for just the outside of the tray:

After that, I assembled all the pieces with PVA Glue:

Finally, I arranged the figures in the tray, cut the necessary walls, and glued them in as I went across the tray.

All done!

The next step (after finishing the other 2 faction trays in addition to a slew of miscellaneous trays for things like Plastic Gates, Maps, etc) is to construct a temporary box out of foam core. I say temporary, because when Onslaught Two comes rolling in that box will need to get bigger, and probably more sturdy. I'm thinking that I'll make the final box out of plywood. If you have any questions, let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |