Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Paint job for my Miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Paint [+] [View All]
Sion Zris
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
Hello to everyone

I wanted to share some pictures of the basic paint job I did for my miniatures. This will be the base color until (if ever) I get to airbrush them in detail (so many open projects). All are satin finished which makes an incredible contrast since the paint is satin but there are tiny diamond sparkles in them (in Germany we call this "Perlmutt", pearleffect is the closest translation that came to mind) which really are only noticeable when you go real close or, like on the white lion, you have an even surface. If looking at them normally it just messes with your mind -in a good way.

To prep the models i used silicone remover and our standard plastic prep component, I read that most people use water, soap and a toothbrush but that sounded strange to me coming from the car section. Keep in mind that silicone remover is nothing to fool around with if you don't know how to handle it.

Monsters: white pearleffect (own recipe) with an extra coat of pearleffect in a 2nd step


Survivors: black pearleffect (Citroen Perla-Nera-Black with some extra pearleffect)


Humanoid Bosses: Red perleffect (standard PPG color with pearleffect)


These are the pictures right after the paint job, so the satin isn't perfect yet, if interested i will post more detailed pictures once it dried (on some pictures it looks a little too thick but this goes away when dry) and i will try to capture the sparkle with a better camera (Nexus 6 seems to have serious focus problems when going close).

This is the first contact I had with miniatures ever. I am aware that some seams aren't perfect or i have a small gap cry... and i probably messed up on some pieces not going where they should blush but I am pretty excited about them none the less

The painting was done in our painting booth with our standard car pistols. It does help if you have literally every color possible at your disposal that is used for cars.

Criticism, tips and feedback are very welcome.

Also 2 questions:
I thought about painting parts like armor etc. beforehand in a different color but feared my plastic cement would not work if i get paint on the connection pieces. Was I correct?
And what is this green stuff i keep reading about? Anyone from Germany here who can tell me what that is and what it's called in Germany? As far as in understand it's used to seal small gaps?

P.s.: The Watcher (not built yet) will either be painted in a completely different color, a colleague of mine has a sick recipe for gold glitter satin, or also in white with glow in the dark particles mixed in (picture a moody light setting with a glowing watcher piece laugh). Not sure yet.

07.11.2015:

Survivers:


Allister


Ezra


Lucy


Zachary


Monsters:

Phoenix:


Antilope & Lion:


Humanoid Bosses:


Butcher:


Kingsman:


The Hand:


11.11.2015:

Watcher:


Initmacy:

Male:


Female:


Unarmored:

Male:




Female:




20.11.2015:

Rawhide:


Male:




Female:




White Lion:


Male:




Female:




5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ambit
msg tools
mb
Greenstuff is also called Kneadatite or blue/yellow epoxy. It is like playdough and dries hard.

As you guessed, plastic cement won't work on joints that have paint on them. Superglue will, but nothing that is a plastic solvent. There are pros and cons to both but most gamers would suggest the plastic cement as it is a stronger bond.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see your King's Man's feet float too. I laugh at mine every time I see him.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sion Zris
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
theambit wrote:
Greenstuff is also called Kneadatite or blue/yellow epoxy. It is like playdough and dries hard.

As you guessed, plastic cement won't work on joints that have paint on them. Superglue will, but nothing that is a plastic solvent. There are pros and cons to both but most gamers would suggest the plastic cement as it is a stronger bond.
Yes I'm glad I used plastic cement when thinking of the Antilope.. I think I held it for an hour in place before I dared to let go of it^^

Kneadatite was a good hint, found it instantly on Amazon. Now i regret having painted the minis already.. could have had an even better result.

dorktron2000 wrote:
Nice to see your King's Man's feet float too. I laugh at mine every time I see him.
Yeah, he refused to stand as i wanted -.-'
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is the paint thick? Do you lose any detail?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sion Zris
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
ELicious wrote:
Is the paint thick? Do you lose any detail?
No it's very thin and from what i saw so far i didn't lose any detail (still drying so i can't say if i didn't lose a tiny tiny bit). Basically all i did was airbrush the whole thing, even though with different colors but if you paint a car 1 layer of paint is usually around 30-50µm (a full paint job is around 80-150µm but there is priming and 2 coats of paint to count), as comparison a hair is around 50 - 70µm. And remember i was trying to have as thin a coat as possible. If these were metal i could measure it...

Got a question again: is 60°C (140°F) too hot for plastic minis? Didn't dare turn on the heat in case something would happen to the minis. Could have had them dry by now if it was possible.

Edit: The Phoenix probably has the most paint on it, lookingat the pictures i see no missing detail. Even on the face of the "i'll smash you with my rock"-guy you can still see the beard and everything.

Edit2: Since there are probably many people out there who are new to miniatures and bought this game, giving the minis to a car shop to paint real quick (took maybe 20 minutes for all of them) might be an easy and cheap way to have them painted (though the pearleffect does tend to get expensive, if they don't have some leftovers).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sion Zris
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
So the Minis are dry now.
No detail lost! Yay!
Though i might need to give the butcher a 2nd coating, didn't get all the spots in his "cape".whistle

Edit, got a better camera as well!
More pictures (the thumbnails are always Sidewaysangry, the pictures when you follow the link are correct though):

-moved to the top
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to tell you this: you lost almost all the details there...
The glossy effect is a pretty obvious hint (besides the lack of details of course).
There is waaay too much paint on these minis.

This is an example of well black primed minis. Have a look at the details.
http://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/11/36/58/93/pb030310.jpg
http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/16/36/33/08/img_2015.jpg
http://www.victoriagame.fr/img/cms/Tutos/paint/bgCryx/c3c.JP...

The good news is that , as long as you haven't started painting over the base coat, it's easy to get rid of the primer and start all over.

I strongly suggest you to look at a tutorial on youtube before you do anything further.

PS: or maybe you like that porcelain effect and then, it's alright. But I really think it will get worse when you'll prime the armored minis later...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
I'm sorry to tell you this: you lost almost all the details there...
The glossy effect is a pretty obvious hint (besides the lack of details of course).
There is waaay too much paint on these minis.

This is an example of well black primed minis. Have a look at the details.
http://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/11/36/58/93/pb030310.jpg
http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/16/36/33/08/img_2015.jpg
http://www.victoriagame.fr/img/cms/Tutos/paint/bgCryx/c3c.JP...

The good news is that , as long as you haven't started painting over the base coat, it's easy to get rid of the primer and start all over.

I strongly suggest you to look at a tutorial on youtube before you do anything further.

PS: or maybe you like that porcelain effect and then, it's alright. But I really think it will get worse when you'll prime the armored minis later...
Yeah, about that...I'm going to disagree with you. The details are still present. Look for examples on the feathers on the Phoenix or the hair or lantern detailing on survivors or Butcher. IMHO, this is pretty good.

This response does not fall under the category of constructive criticisim. Example: glossy effect does not equate loss of detail. Gloss is a function of chemicals, not coverage. I disagree that OP needs to strip paint.

Keep doing what you're doing, OP. Looking good.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sion Zris
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
korkalot wrote:
baylock wrote:
I'm sorry to tell you this: you lost almost all the details there...
The glossy effect is a pretty obvious hint (besides the lack of details of course).
There is waaay too much paint on these minis.

This is an example of well black primed minis. Have a look at the details.
http://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/11/36/58/93/pb030310.jpg
http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/16/36/33/08/img_2015.jpg
http://www.victoriagame.fr/img/cms/Tutos/paint/bgCryx/c3c.JP...

The good news is that , as long as you haven't started painting over the base coat, it's easy to get rid of the primer and start all over.

I strongly suggest you to look at a tutorial on youtube before you do anything further.

PS: or maybe you like that porcelain effect and then, it's alright. But I really think it will get worse when you'll prime the armored minis later...
Yeah, about that...I'm going to disagree with you. The details are still present. Look for examples on the feathers on the Phoenix or the hair or lantern detailing on survivors or Butcher. IMHO, this is pretty good.

This response does not fall under the category of constructive criticisim. Example: glossy effect does not equate loss of detail. Gloss is a function of chemicals, not coverage. I disagree that OP needs to strip paint.

Keep doing what you're doing, OP. Looking good.
It is hard to make pictures of the survivors since they are black and somehwat shiny, they are much less shiny than on the pictures.
Probably hard to see in general. Please remember you can't compare this to acryllic paint, so shiny is not exactly unexpected or unwanted. It's a satin CAR paint, of course it shines, unless you sand it down again.

I expect baylock simply overlooked this fact, since he posted acryllic painted miniatures as examples.

Edit: I might need to clarify the process somehwat. What you see here is NOT a primer. It's paint. Not acryllic but water based (for cars). When i talk about priming, I mean a solvent that makes the paint stick on the plastic. This paint is very durable, like on a car, you might make a little scratch in it, but to penetrate it our get it off you need some serious force!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posing the pictures. Keep doing your thing.

meeple
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
A constructive criticisim is a criticism that tries to bring something new, that is documented and not undermining the OP in any way.
a constructive criticisim is not a criticism that you approve.
Thanks.

PS: My not so constructive criticism was about the black survivors where I can't see any of the details. Not about the phoenix.

And for what it's worth: the glossy effect IS a hint.
Try to prime or paint a mini with a thin coat of paint, take a picture and then put a very thick layer of paint on it and take another shot.
Compare...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sion Zris
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
baylock wrote:
A constructive criticisim is a criticism that tries to bring something new, that is documented and not undermining the OP in any way.
a constructive criticisim is not a criticism that you approve.
Thanks.

PS: My not so constructive criticism was about the black survivors where I can't see any of the details. Not about the phoenix.
Take a look at them again, open the picture in full ress, i can't see any missing detail, maybe your screen is limiting (i use a 4k display). It's very hard to capture the details and have it focus correctly. I actually think they are the best, but i can look at the originals. Maybe i will make some more pictures in the painting booth, perfect light there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Good for you if you have the details you need. That's what matter eventually.
My comment was intended to help, not to undermine you.
I see a picture, I comment on it with respect. Then it makes sense to you or not.
I didn't know we had to applaud or fear the Zeus thunder.
My bad.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sion Zris
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
baylock wrote:
Good for you if you have the details you need.
My comment was intended to help, not to undermine you.
I see a picture, I comment on it with respect.
I didn't know we had to applaud or fear the Zeus thunder.
My bad.
I don't see a reason for you to be bitchy now... but ah well
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sion Zris
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
New Pictures.

Watcher, Intimacy and Unarmored painted.
Uploading throughout the day.

@Bottom of first post
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sion Zris
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
New armor sets done (pictures see bottom of first post).
Rawhide and Lion (why are there 5 Lion survivors o.O)

Also got a much better Camera, more detail captured.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Backing up baylock, here. I'm a professional minis painter, and I've fought glossy paint, and there's no question, it gums up details. It might be within tolerable levels, or even ones not noticeable to a casual modeler, but it's extremely clear that, whatever the chemical difference, gloss goes on thicker. It looks like the OP got a thin coat down, but it's still going to obscure some detail.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls