Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Worth it if I am not a fan of Pandemic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a fan of the original pandemic, but I enjoyed the Legacy part of Risk Legacy (also not a fan of Risk). So I am very interested in this game for the Legacy part.

Is the gameplay pretty much the same as Pandemic or does it change it enough that might make me enjoy the Pandemic part? Also, how is it with two players?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Deltas wrote:
I am not a fan of the original pandemic, but I enjoyed the Legacy part of Risk Legacy (also not a fan of Risk). So I am very interested in this game for the Legacy part.

Is the gameplay pretty much the same as Pandemic or does it change it enough that might make me enjoy the Pandemic part? Also, how is it with two players?
The game starts out as basic Pandemic. Then your map and the diseases start changing. Your objectives in the game change and you have to adjust your strategy as new rules come into play. Certain parts become harder while others easier (in my game yellow disease is trivial to cure but red has become a nightmare). Beyond that I am not sure if this is different enough for you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: In love with my spouseMicrobadge: Merry ChristmasMicrobadge: I sneak board games into the house - Ho ho ho!!!Microbadge: Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!
My gaming group all agree that the base game of Pandemic is just "okay." However, we played 4 games of Legacy last night and absolutely love it!

It is tough to tell you how the gameplay changes as we are only part way through, and I don't want to reveal any spoilers. So, if you enjoy Co-Op games but think the vanilla Pandemic game is a bit boring, you will probably like this. If you don't like Pandemic because you don't like co-op games or the game mechanics, Legacy probably won't impress you.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
My gaming group all agree that the base game of Pandemic is just "okay." However, we played 4 games of Legacy last night and absolutely love it!

It is tough to tell you how the gameplay changes as we are only part way through, and I don't want to reveal any spoilers. So, if you enjoy Co-Op games but think the vanilla Pandemic game is a bit boring, you will probably like this. If you don't like Pandemic because you don't like co-op games or the game mechanics, Legacy probably won't impress you.

Thanks, I found Pandemic okay, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the game, I just rather play something else whenever it comes up. From what you are saying seems like it could worth a shot though .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It would all depend on what, exactly, you don't like about Pandemic.

Most of the basic Pandemic mechanisms are in Legacy, plus some more.

I would say the game is much more "Pandemic" than not so what parts of Pandemic don't you like? Maybe the Legacy part will make a difference, but maybe not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Depends. Vanilla Pandemic and Pandemic with expansions are pretty much two completely different games. If what you don't like about (vanilla) Pandemic is the lack of variety, which is by far the most common complaint, this solves that (as would the expansions). If you don't like the core gameplay, then this won't solve that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
Depends. Vanilla Pandemic and Pandemic with expansions are pretty much two completely different games. If what you don't like about (vanilla) Pandemic is the lack of variety, which is by far the most common complaint, this solves that (as would the expansions). If you don't like the core gameplay, then this won't solve that.
I never got a chance to play with the expansions, but as I mentioned previously, I don't think there is anything wrong with the mechanics, it just the game doesn't grab my attention very much. Now that I think about it, it could also be that just by chance all of the groups I play it with tend to have an aplha gamer which doesn't help me enjoy the game.

I forgot to ask, but could I play regular pandemic after finishing the campaign? Similar how to I can still play risk with Risk Legacy after the 15 games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have played the expansions, there's a lot you will recognize as ported from various modules. It starts out as base game, but quickly begins to take on the feel of some of the expansion stuff, and some of the later game changes were pretty close to what I expected to come out. That said, there are enough 'from left field' changes that it did surprise me, which is a good thing. I can say there are at least 3 things that I felt were 'wow' additions.

As to playing base with the set afterwards, it can certainly be done. The board has a few extra drive/ferry connections and you'll have a lot of stickered cards and spots on the board but for the most part you're ok. I'm curious as to see what people make of trying to play while taking into account the board state changes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deltas wrote:

I never got a chance to play with the expansions, but as I mentioned previously, I don't think there is anything wrong with the mechanics, it just the game doesn't grab my attention very much. Now that I think about it, it could also be that just by chance all of the groups I play it with tend to have an aplha gamer which doesn't help me enjoy the game.
?
I think that I'm very much in the same boat as you (meh on base Pandemic, never tried any of the expansions) and I absolutely love Pandemic Legacy.

I'm not sure that PL actually does much to address the "alpha gamer" problem (apart from introducing surprises that prevent you from knowing the "correct" solution) but since the rest of my group has about the same level of experience with Pandemic, it hasn't really been an issue.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:

I think that I'm very much in the same boat as you (meh on base Pandemic, never tried any of the expansions) and I absolutely love Pandemic Legacy.

I'm not sure that PL actually does much to address the "alpha gamer" problem (apart from introducing surprises that prevent you from knowing the "correct" solution) but since the rest of my group has about the same level of experience with Pandemic, it hasn't really been an issue.
That is good to hear! I was thinking of mainly playing with my wife that loves coop games, and since I enjoyed the legacy system i thought this might be a neat experience. Looks like it would be worth the investment .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Advice : two players Pandemic Legacy is much easier than 3 or 4 players. I would suggest givin yourself a handicap from game 2 or 3 if you feel like you're on top of things. Me and my gf rushed through all the game from February to July, and by the time our fist defeat happened I guess the board was suppoesed to be much more "damaged" than it was, so even the last games, while challenging, were not as hard as I think they should have been.

For what it's worth, we both disliked basic Pandemic for the reason you gave and still loooved Pandemic Legacy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Regular Pandemic never really caught on with me, but i just had to try Pandemic Legacy.

I expected to play a couple of games a week, but my girlfriend and I, finished the game in one massive 22 hour session, with a couple of short breaks. We won in 19 games.

I'm sure we hindered ourselves multiple times, because of tiredness, but we just couldn't go to bed before finishing.

So to answer the question. Yes.. For me it was more about the story and surprise elements, than the gameplay, so even if you're not a Pandemic fan, I'm sure you will enjoy it... I know we did.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We absolutely love Pandemic Legacy and the regular Pandemic doesn't hit our table very often. It's really challenging, the geek factor is sky high when you are opening secret boxes and doors and whatnot. We are whole-heartedly enjoying the game and highly recommend it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls