Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Mysterium» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two questions on clairvoyance & vision cards I could use help with. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First, I think I'm missing something, but I can't see how you can get more than 9 points on the clairvoyance track. (One point for each of the 3 rounds, plus a possible 6 more if you guess 3 right and 3 wrong with the tokens)

Second, when you reveal the vision cards to the psychics, you do it one at a time, drawing back up after each and moving their ghost token up to indicate you have given them their cards. Then after you gave given everyone their vision cards you turn over the hour glass to start the timer. Is this correct? If so, do you place them face down and everyone looks at the same time, or do the first ones just get much longer to look and think than those served last?

I'm really starting to like this game. I almost didn't get it after watching some of the early reviews. The main reason I thought it was weird that you solved the mystery and then suddenly their are multiple suspects and you have to solve it again. That just sounded stupid to me and I was not interested at all. I finally, gave in and bought it and after reading the rules and finding out that the plot was the ghost was confused at first and was not able to remember fully until the psychics presented him with a "line up". I know that's a small issue, but for me, if a game does not make sense, I just don't enjoy it. I don't want to just push a white cube around I want to haul my cattle to market as it were.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, some notes on clairvoyance.

- You can place multiple clairvoyance markers per turn.
- At the beginning of turn 4 you receive all your clairvoyance markers back to be spent again.
- You gain clairvoyance points for how many turns are remaining in the game when you find your final card of your set.
- You get 4 clairvoyance tokens in a 4-5 player game, and 6 in a 6-7

So in a 4-5 player game, your max score is 12
- 4 for guessing your cards correctly on turn 3
- 4 for placing your clairvoyance markers correctly on turns 1-3
- 4 for placing your clairvoyance markers correctly on turns 4-7

In a 6-7 player game, your max score is 16
- 4 for guessing your cards correctly on turn 3
- 6 for placing your clairvoyance markers correctly on turns 1-3
- 6 for placing your clairvoyance markers correctly on turns 4-7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the vision cards during a normal round -

The rules specifically state that the ghost places the vision cards face-up in front of the psychic. So yes, the last psychic has less time, but also more information in that they can likely eliminate the other player's guesses from their options assuming they agree with those interpretations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
Regarding the vision cards during a normal round -

The rules specifically state that the ghost places the vision cards face-up in front of the psychic. So yes, the last psychic has less time, but also more information in that they can likely eliminate the other player's guesses from their options assuming they agree with those interpretations.

More importantly, this is a COOPERATIVE game. It doesn't matter if one psychic has more time, because all of the psychics should be helping each other out and discussing their clues. By the time the last clue has been given, the first player should probably have made a guess already, and be looking at others' clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also have an easymode HOME RUN vision card for someone that is impossible to mess up. You could give that person their card last thus giving the other people more time.

I personally don't like using the timer unless someone starts getting ridiculous. But you can always give that player that takes forever their card(s) first. And if necessary, whip out the timer. Most of the time the people don't even need that 2 minutes anyways.

UNLESS you are trying to get them to guess the barbell as the murder weapon, and don't realize there is also a clock as a murder weapon, and you pass them the vision card of the sand timer because it has the shape of the barbell, but also deals with TIME hahhaha. Then you give them cupcakes the next round and they go OHHHHHHHHHH cupcakes make you gain weight, the barbel is a weight DING! hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
evilnox wrote:
You may also have an easymode HOME RUN vision card for someone that is impossible to mess up. You could give that person their card last thus giving the other people more time.

I personally don't like using the timer unless someone starts getting ridiculous. But you can always give that player that takes forever their card(s) first. And if necessary, whip out the timer. Most of the time the people don't even need that 2 minutes anyways.

UNLESS you are trying to get them to guess the barbell as the murder weapon, and don't realize there is also a clock as a murder weapon, and you pass them the vision card of the sand timer because it has the shape of the barbell, but also deals with TIME hahhaha. Then you give them cupcakes the next round and they go OHHHHHHHHHH cupcakes make you gain weight, the barbel is a weight DING! hehe.

I used a clue card with a "bell" in ref to the "barbell"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Orangevale
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
Microbadge: In love with my spouseMicrobadge: My wife buys me board games!Microbadge: Fukutarou fanMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Trick-Taking fan
mplatov1812 wrote:

I used a clue card with a "bell" in ref to the "barbell"
This ghost loves puuuuuuuuuuns!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks guys for the lightning fast replies!

I totally missed the clairvoyance bonus for time remaining.

Also I guess I'm just too competitive, even in a cooperative game I'm still thinking competitively. All the other co-op games I have are mostly 1 vs all. I guess I was in the mind set of the ghost trying to beat the players not help them win. I see now that giving your struggling players their cards first is a good way to give them a little extra help.

As for the dumb bell thing, I know what you mean. It's fun (and frustrating) some times to see just how far off other peoples mind work than yours. When they pick a card, and you can set and stare at those two cards for a week and think how in the hell did they possibly get that meaning from that/those cards?

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love listening to people go "what does this have to do with ANYTHING" and as the ghost and myself say "It's the best I could do with what I have to work with" LoL.....so much fun to see their reactions when they get it right and you have to explain to them what the previous cards meant, then they call you an idiot hahahaha..... and you punch them in the face and the cops come and.... oh wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah it's crazy sometimes. Like we had for a final tonight the kitchen card with the black and white tile on the floor, very prominent on the card. I played the vision card that had a very prominent black and white chess board on it. For the weapon it was the candelabra and I played the candle chandelier with the spider on it. As you can imagine they nailed it. Afterwords I asked what gave them the answer and none of them said either of those or even those cards. They picked something obscure off the vision card I played for the Murderer. The sad thing was I had nothing in my hand for him, and I finally just tossed out a card thinking they would have it based on the other two cards. Crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
Yeah it's crazy sometimes. Like we had for a final tonight the kitchen card with the black and white tile on the floor, very prominent on the card. I played the vision card that had a very prominent black and white chess board on it. For the weapon it was the candelabra and I played the candle chandelier with the spider on it. As you can imagine they nailed it. Afterwords I asked what gave them the answer and none of them said either of those or even those cards. They picked something obscure off the vision card I played for the Murderer. The sad thing was I had nothing in my hand for him, and I finally just tossed out a card thinking they would have it based on the other two cards. Crazy.
Yeah LoL. Even when different minds don't think alike there are still similarities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rohwer
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Oftentimes, in that scenario, I won't give the psychic a vision card, because I feel it would be better for them to use the process of elimination and guess than to receive a vision card that could confuse them or be incompatible with a vision card I'll give them the next turn if they guess incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xanderzoo wrote:
Oftentimes, in that scenario, I won't give the psychic a vision card, because I feel it would be better for them to use the process of elimination and guess than to receive a vision card that could confuse them or be incompatible with a vision card I'll give them the next turn if they guess incorrectly.
According to the rules, each psychic must receive at least one vision card each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls