Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Looking at the great vaulted game tables on here makes me wonder if a pool table would work?

A 7-ft x 3-1/2 surface (bar size) -- check.
Nice surface for dice and cards -- check.
Vaulted play area -- check.
Comfortable rail to lean on -- check.
"Cup holders" -- sort of check; seems removable inserts for pockets would be not too hard to make.
Table top cover -- seems like making a removable top would be easy.

Oh and by the way, you could play pool on it too.

What am I not thinking of that makes this a dumb idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
Microbadge: I completed the 100 Play ChallengeMicrobadge: Futurama fanMicrobadge: I have at least 4,000 logged game plays!Microbadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Geek of the Week
Are pool tables comfortable to sit at? Don't most of them have solid bases and things? Could you scoot your chair underneath one? That seems like a big negative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ridley Bojangles
United States
Cape Elizabeth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I was thinking about this too, because my SO is always hinting she'd like a pool table, and I'd love a gaming table. I didn't want to be the first to attempt this combination though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Southgate
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
Are pool tables comfortable to sit at? Don't most of them have solid bases and things? Could you scoot your chair underneath one? That seems like a big negative.
I agree. Most pool tables are designed for people to stand around. If you're playing some sort of dexterity game or game that requires you to move around the table a lot then they might work.

Or of you get a cheap one that's not very deep you might be able to pull chairs up to it, something like:

But that doesn't look to have very comfortable rails to lean on. We had an old bar sized table in our basement for years but it was one of those really deep ones meant to be coin operated with a ball return so there was no way we'd have been able to pull chairs up to it.

Closest use we had for it other than playing pool was to put a cover on it and use it for a snack table at get togethers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowden Wyatt
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Joe Lansdale Rules!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are slimmer pool tables (with room underneath for legs) at all price points. And indeed, there are pool table covers available that can turn your pool table into a gaming table.

I researched this about a year and a half ago before moving into a new house, but I ended up not getting a pool table so I don't have any specific websites to point to. I just googled "pool table covers" and went from there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
blakflag wrote:
Hmm... I was thinking about this too, because my SO is always hinting she'd like a pool table, and I'd love a gaming table. I didn't want to be the first to attempt this combination though.
Exactly blakflag. There must be somebody out there that has tried this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a pool table that doubles as a games table. It has a cover with a drinks-proof layer underneath. You do not want to get the baize wet! It also doubles as a dining table, and is comfortable to sit at. It's brilliant!
We got ours from Home Leisure https://www.homeleisuredirect.com but I'm sure other places do similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Most tables have no space for chairs or leg room underneath.

Also slate bed tables are exceptionally heavy.

You'll also need to buy a cover, which defeats the object of simply buying a gaming table in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
We have a pool table that doubles as a games table. It has a cover with a drinks-proof layer underneath. You do not want to get the baize wet! It also doubles as a dining table, and is comfortable to sit at. It's brilliant!
We got ours from Home Leisure https://www.homeleisuredirect.com but I'm sure other places do similar.
This is amazing. I thought about poker table as cheap alternative but this is waaaaayyy better also I believe that pool table is cheaper than geek chic one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Jorenas wrote:
freduk wrote:
This is amazing. I thought about poker table as cheap alternative but this is waaaaayyy better also I believe that pool table is cheaper than geek chic one.
This is what really drove me to look at this solution. There are plenty of suitable low mileage pool tables around here for sale for less than $ 1000. More like $ 500 on average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of heavy pinewood hobby plates over my pool table.

Works perfect.

When I shared the room with cats - and played longer games, I was playing directly on the pool table. Finished for the night, I covered the table with plates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
Microbadge: Emoticon fanMicrobadge: Winner's Circle fanMicrobadge: Everdell fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
Pool tables have been used by wargamers for decades now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schmucker
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to keep in mind. If the pool table is used for playing pool, you will likely be using chalk which means you won't want to play board games directly on the pool table. Chalk dust on hands and boardgames is not all that enjoyable. So, you will have to have a cover that works well with boardgames to make a pool table work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rschmucker wrote:
One thing to keep in mind. If the pool table is used for playing pool, you will likely be using chalk which means you won't want to play board games directly on the pool table. Chalk dust on hands and boardgames is not all that enjoyable. So, you will have to have a cover that works well with boardgames to make a pool table work.
Another thng to keep in mind, if you want to play pool on it, is you won't really want to be putting anything else on the baize, in case it wrecks it. Really, don't go using the surface for anything else. If you don't want to play pool, there are cheaper ways of getting a baize topped table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A relatively common type is an octagon shaped bumper pool with card/dining table top.

A decent quality pool table usually designed with legroom to sit at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 7' cheap pool table with a dining top they flips to a poker top. There are similar tables out there if you search for them, check out my blog to see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had always wondered about this, too. I figuered that I'd invest in a "mousepad" type gaming pad to put over the felt so I could use chalk and play on it as a pool table as well. The pockets won't look as stylish, even with some sort of insert in it, but that's a small minus in my book compared to the extreme multitasking the table could do. The one thing that I'm wondering about is if I could find a way of raising and lowering it to accommodate chairs properly. I could create riser system. I think this might be the way I go personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimmendarkgirl wrote:
I had always wondered about this, too. I figuered that I'd invest in a "mousepad" type gaming pad to put over the felt so I could use chalk and play on it as a pool table as well. The pockets won't look as stylish, even with some sort of insert in it, but that's a small minus in my book compared to the extreme multitasking the table could do. The one thing that I'm wondering about is if I could find a way of raising and lowering it to accommodate chairs properly. I could create riser system. I think this might be the way I go personally.
Just to be clear, the table in the pic above is designed to double as a dining table, and fits normal dining chairs. We have eaten at it, played Boardgames on it and, of course, pool. The table itself is a 7 ft table with a slate bed and ball return. It doesn't need raising or lowering on a change of use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ridley Bojangles
United States
Cape Elizabeth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love the look and options from the homeleisuredirect.com tables.. I'm also newly intrigued by English pool which seems more suited to smaller home tables. Unfortunately I am in USA and from an evening scanning the internet I could not find a similar U-based site, especially one that crafted English-style pool tables.

Has anyone in the US actually had one of these shipped over here? How'd it go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blakflag wrote:
I really love the look and options from the homeleisuredirect.com tables.. I'm also newly intrigued by English pool which seems more suited to smaller home tables. Unfortunately I am in USA and from an evening scanning the internet I could not find a similar U-based site, especially one that crafted English-style pool tables.

Have you tried contacting them directly and asking if they have shipped to the U.S. before, and if they could provide references? Worth a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
freduk wrote:
blakflag wrote:

Have you tried contacting them directly and asking if they have shipped to the U.S. before, and if they could provide references? Worth a try.
And if you do, let us know what they say about shipping to USA. thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ridley Bojangles
United States
Cape Elizabeth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I contacted them, if they say anything useful I will let everyone know. Maybe we could do a group buy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls