Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

So this game looks exciting! Is that a Death Star miniature? Holy cow that's a Death Star miniature! And AT-ATs? AT-STs? X-Wings? This is awesome. And Darth Vader! Yeah! Look, it's Da ... wait is that a standee? Is Darth-Flippin'-Vader a standee? Why is a standee in this otherwise gorgeous game?

I understand some people will respond with how the card has functional information on it. But they could have just as easily made it a separate card on the table to look at. Or even a miniature with a standee as a part of it like they have done in previous games.

C'mon guys! Still excited but this is really a buzz kill for me.

Thoughts?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rather have the info on the standee personally. Im getting a bit tired of minis that refer to cards. Imperial assault is a bit of a pain that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the1jugg wrote:
I would rather have the info on the standee personally. Im getting a bit tired of minis that refer to cards. Imperial assault is a bit of a pain that way.
I agree with this. There will already be a lot of card information in front of the players. A standee with the information is a good idea and visually helps to separate those heroes from the standard units on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, you can always buy the miniature for the Star Wars: Rebellion character of your choice, as an Imperial Assault Hero or Villain pack, for just $9.95!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the issue of scale--which, even on a relative level, would still leave you with a Godzilla-sized Vader!

I like the stand-up tokens, actually. I think they'll stand out much better, and make play easier. As much as I like the aesthetics of minis, I think in most game systems, they actually interfere with play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there also a possibility that the standees are one sided so your opponent doesn't know which characters are in which locations? This wouldn't work with a miniature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
Support Fridays for Future!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the characters as standees, too. As others said, I also like that the information is easily referencable on there.

It would get a bit confusing if there had to be cards and minis for each and every leader available and to make some standees and some minis would just be unintuitive and inconsistent, IMHO.

I somehow like the one-sided-idea, but I doubt that it is incorporated here, since the standees would look probably different and have little sight shields. I also think that this would probably make the game overly complicated and would make epic characters moments where certain main characters interact with each other less common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears I am in a minority!

Oh welp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Standees are good.
They stand out from the basic troops. Beyond that, they don't appear to work like standard troops. You have a stockpile of them that get deployed on missions, and likely get returned to the pool.

They also contain all the functional game info they need to play. No extra cards or guides. They've already released info on 17 (18 if you count both of Luke's) of them, and there are likely more they haven't talked about. That would be a lot of information cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta join the crowd and chime in that I have no issues with the standees either and I appreciate the character information being so clear and visible, as I think it's gonna be pretty important.

However, that said, it looks like they are going to make quite a bit of use of specially shaped cardboard rings that go around the standee bases to designate certain conditions such as the Yoda training one, and I'm not convinced that these won't be super annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The standees are gorgeous and exiting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The standees look nice, and I'd rather pay $99.95 for the game than another $50 or $100 to have unique sculpts for each one, so there ya go.

Also, minis don't display information like the icons on these standees so well. And tables get cluttered enough as it is. Standees are good. Yay standees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
Howdy,

So this game looks exciting! Is that a Death Star miniature? Holy cow that's a Death Star miniature!
Wrong, sir ... that's TWO Death Star miniatures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krztoff wrote:
jgortner wrote:
Howdy,

So this game looks exciting! Is that a Death Star miniature? Holy cow that's a Death Star miniature!
Wrong, sir ... that's TWO Death Star miniatures!
Looks more like one and three quarters to me, even if they are both fully armed and operational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look, if a standee is good enough for Grand Moff Tarkin then it's good enough for Darth Vader, upstart that he is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can't wait to paint them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All standees can be replaced with Imperial Assualt figure packs.

I always wondered by they had a pack for Luke and Vader when they came in the game. Now I know.

Okay that's all made up, but it's an ingenious way for FFG to continue to make $

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
That's a great point and good to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
shieldwolf wrote:
That's if they are all released as figure packs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zemus wrote:
jgortner wrote:
shieldwolf wrote:
Oh I thought he was saying they were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
zemus wrote:
jgortner wrote:
shieldwolf wrote:
Oh I thought he was saying they were.
Mon Mothma & Jan Dodonna? I'm not up to speed with Imperial Assault - I only have the base game - but I don't think all the ST:R leaders feature in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Masks: A New Generation RPG fanMicrobadge: Westworld fanMicrobadge: Marvel Cinematic Universe fanMicrobadge: Wolf of the WeekMicrobadge: Monsterhearts RPG fan
I think that having two dozen character minis that are as easily distinguishable as the standups would be a tall order. I remember people hoping for minis for BSG as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually love the standees. The miniatures are amazing, and I'm so glad they are in the game, but they are to represent multiples, and a standee is a good way to represent a unique individual. They also fit in with the more 'mature' look of the game, in my opinion. This looks like a serious game, one that you'd spend hours looking at, making important decisions.

In short, as much as I love miniatures (and I'm so glad they are in this game!!!) the standees blend in perfectly with the overall design, and look stunning on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could hunt down the old WOTC minis for everybody I'd think. They went pretty obscure in that game, so I'd think most if not all were represented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Chow
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
modernlife wrote:
Is there also a possibility that the standees are one sided so your opponent doesn't know which characters are in which locations? This wouldn't work with a miniature.
I doubt they would be one sided. FFG have made their tokens two-sided in games such as X-Wing and IA. It is possible to angle the standees so an opponent faces an edge but most people don't have mobility issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |