Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryant Ferguson
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
One question our group had was whether you can forfeit an action. The rules posted on BGG have this to say:
"Each action must be used. If you cannot use an action, it must be replaced by a Prayer action."
That's pretty clear.

With that in mind:
If a player has the Mask ("Opponents cannot convert actions from your asks
into PRAYER or CRAFT actions.") and you don't want to do the task, I guess you have to do it anyway? If you cannot do their task, do you just do nothing? or do you Pray anyway as the above rule states.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bferg88 wrote:
One question our group had was whether you can forfeit an action. The rules posted on BGG have this to say:
"Each action must be used. If you cannot use an action, it must be replaced by a Prayer action."
That's pretty clear.

With that in mind:
into PRAYER or CRAFT actions.") and you don't want to do the task, I guess you have to do it anyway? If you cannot do their task, do you just do nothing? or do you Pray anyway as the above rule states.
If an opponent has Mask and you do not want to or cannot use the action on their task, you may choose to do nothing for any of the actions you derive from that task. You cannot pray or craft.

This "do nothing" option is available to you only when an opponent has Mask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Ferguson
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
gillum wrote:
bferg88 wrote:
That's pretty clear.

With that in mind:
If an opponent has Mask and you do not want to or cannot use the action on their task, you may choose to do nothing for any of the actions you derive from that task. You cannot pray or craft.

Thanks for your response!

I hope you don't mind my asking the source for your clarification. Is it stated somewhere that you have this option if you have crafted the mask?

I'm inclined to say that it does not matter if you "do not want" to do an action; you still must do it because "each action must be used". Is there a definitive source that says otherwise?

What seems unclear to me is what you should do when you cannot use an action. In this situation, I imagine that you just do nothing, but technically I haven't found a clarification in the rule set. Normally, and it's said in many rule books that sometimes cards seem to break the rules and in that case, that you should go with the card. But technically, "Mask" doesn't say that you cannot use all your actions, just that you cannot craft or pray. I know it's kind of pedantic, but I guess that's what we do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
bferg88 wrote:
That's pretty clear.

With that in mind:

I thought it was only available if you cannot do the task (not don't want to).

For example Potter on an empty floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I hope you don't mind my asking the source for your clarification. Is it stated somewhere that you have this option if you have crafted the mask?
It's in one of the rules threads here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
Quote:
It's in one of the rules threads here.
In Re: Are actions mandatory?, the designer wrote the following:
cchudyk wrote:
As it was rephrased using your terminology in another thread, an opponent's Mask is meant to change your action-choice-set from Action-Craft-Pray to Action-Pass.
Thus, if an opponent has Mask, you can skip any action coming from one of his tasks.

As Carl points out, not allowing a player to choose pass makes Mask too powerful:

a. An opponent with Clerk could force you to sell something you were going to use for crafting.

b. An opponent with Tailor could force you to draw multiple cards from the deck, ending the game.

c. An opponent with Monk could force you to hire as a helper a card you planned to gather as a material using Potter.

d. An opponent with Potter could force you to gather as a material a card you planned to hire as a helper using Monk.

e. An opponent with Smith could force you to complete a card in your hand for which you had other uses planned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Ferguson
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks! I'm still getting used to the forums and didn't realize there were more than those shown on the front page of the game.

With respect to the rule, sounds fair. Our group did realize that this makes the Mask rather powerful, so it seems like a logical rule update. The designers ought to publish an errata so that this type of thing is on the front page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Erratum: Dice [was Actions Required and Mask]
bferg88 wrote:
The designers ought to publish an errata so that this type of thing is on the front page.
Another erratum of note regards Dice:
Dice wrote:
Before your TAILOR action, you may reveal the top card of the deck. If its value is equal to the number of cards in your hand, complete it for free.
According to an update from the game's developer, Dice applies if the value of the card revealed is equal to the number of cards in your hand plus the number of cards in your waiting area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls