United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this reputation tile only received when you have 3 works on display, or once you have 3 works total?

In other words, if you have 2 works on display and sell one, then buy another, can you claim the bonus or did you just mess yourself up?

My gut tells me to not sell anything until AFTER you've acquired 3 works to display, but on the other hand that cuts out a major portion of the game for quite some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You take the tile when you place a work of art in the third spot. You always have to place works of art in the left-most spot available.

Thus, you will need three works of art in your gallery at one time to take it.

I haven't played enough to know the strategy of going for that tile compared to optimizing selling actions, but something tells me that's part of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it greatly depends on your overall strategy. At some point you have to start making decisions on whether you are going to collect art, sell art or do a little of both. In two of those cases, it is much harder to get that bonus tile in the 3rd spot in your gallery as selling art before you have 3 in the gallery will delay or even prevent you from ever obtaining it.

In addition, as reputation tiles are end of game scoring and you take this reputation tile at the beginning of the game when you have no clue about how your strategy is developing, it is not clear whether it may be very valuable, or next to worthless based on how your strategy develops. The other wrinkle in this, is that every time you play a reputation tile, you also get a much desired bonus, which can help you as well. In other words, there is an opportunity gained by playing it in addition to the end game opportunity.

And yes, this is true throughout the game as it is a balancing act between competing needs at ever stop of the game. There are so many delicious decisions to make and all of them create ripples of opportunities gained and lost.

Each time I have played this game (3 so far) it has been very different. I look forward to playing it a lot more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.