Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

My question is, if I pass, but then at least one other person moves a figure in before it comes back around to me, when it comes back around to me, can I now move a figure in? Maybe I didn't want in on the battle at first, but now that player X has moved in, so do I. Or, once you have passed once are you out?

Here is the rules text:

1. CALL TO BATTLE
Once you have declared your intent to Pillage that province, the other players have a chance to join the battle. Starting with the player to your left and going around in clockwise order, each player (including
you) may, if they wish, move one of their figures from an adjacent province into an empty village in the province you are pillaging. Moving a figure in this way does not cost Rage (and note that Ships cannot be moved). Once all villages in that province are occupied, or when no one else wishes to join in, the battle begins. Note: There are no villages in Yggdrasil, so any number of figures can join a battle there. If at this point there are no enemy figures in the province or its supporting fjord, no battle takes place and you automatically Pillage the province, gaining its reward (see next page) and flipping its Pillage token to its “pillaged” side. Note that in this case you don’t gain any Glory for winning battles.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Microbadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: I backed Cthulhu: Death May Die on Kickstarter!Microbadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fan
I had this question come up too. We opted for a literal reading, which in my opinion implies that passing is not permanent and you can move in if it comes back to you.

However, the rules should be more explicit and an official answer would be good here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I believe that the call to battle keeps going around until EVERYONE has passed in a row, and if someone decides to accept the call to battle, it is reset and everyone has a another chance to put something in, until it is full of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyantsunami wrote:
I believe that the call to battle keeps going around until EVERYONE has passed in a row, and if someone decides to accept the call to battle, it is reset and everyone has a another chance to put something in, until it is full of course.
This is the way we've played it as well and I think it works perfectly. Lots of room for bluffing and mindgames along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. RAW suggests continuing to place until the villages are full or everyone has passed. However, rules as intended may differ, which wouldn't be the first time, so clarification would be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can rejoin. This was answered by the designer:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417527/call-battle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanH wrote:
You can rejoin. This was answered by the designer:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417527/call-battle
Thiago is not the designer, but he does work for Cmon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyantsunami wrote:
Exactly. So if you pass and everyone after you passes too, you can't join in anymore, even if there are still empty villages (or the battle is in Ygdrassil).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. Game went off without a hitch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Fost
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I Love SummerMicrobadge: Rum drinkerMicrobadge: We are all going to be dead, so why sleeve?Microbadge: Cribbage fanMicrobadge: I love sunsets!
One other question about pillaging.
This is in regards of a 2 player game.

Say player A has 1 figure on the board and player B has 3 figures in the surrounding Provinces. If player A decides to pillage, player B can choose to join from one Province.Then it goes back to player A who can do nothing.

Can player B bring in another figure to the fight and let player A do nothing again or does the battle commence?

In essence player B could bring all his figures in and possibly kick ass.

To me in this instance, seeing player A cannot add another figure, he is not necessarily passing and the battle should begin.

How should this be resolved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
douglas fost wrote:
One other question about pillaging.
This is in regards of a 2 player game.

Say player A has 1 figure on the board and player B has 3 figures in the surrounding Provinces. If player A decides to pillage, player B can choose to join from one Province.Then it goes back to player A who can do nothing.

Can player B bring in another figure to the fight and let player A do nothing again or does the battle commence?

In essence player B could bring all his figures in and possibly kick ass.

To me in this instance, seeing player A cannot add another figure, he is not necessarily passing and the battle should begin.

How should this be resolved?
Player B can come in with all 3 miniatures and kick ass.

The 2 conditions where the Call to Battle ends is when ALL the villages are full OR when ALL players have passed. Even if you do not count Player A as passing, Player B would have to still pass in order for the battle to commence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls